Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone - first post, short time lurker, so please be gentle...I was the meat in a car sandwich today and landed up saving most of my hood at the expense of my bumper/brush guard. I just bought my X in May, used from a dealer, so I'm not sure if the guard is factory or aftermarket, but I need to find a replacement. I've seen the heavy duty options :tongue1: but I don't know what kind of $$ limit I'm going to have with the insurance company so I'd like to find the exact match and go from there...here are some pics...would sincerely appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
first thing: welcome from Moose jaw Sk Canada

second: your pics don't work unfortunately. try reposting them by copying the img link into this button

third of all: bush guards tend to create more damage to the Xterra during a collision. I would either look into getting an aftermarket bumper to replace all of the damaged stuff or just not waste my $$$ and not re install another bush guard( spend the $$$ somewhere else if possible lol )

regardless hope things work out for you

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Images are dropbox links:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8zn0ecgbafua65h/-rNjnP9OF6

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7s9k326pz33ht8p/-F_q_N2cDz

Lucky that brush guard didn't cause more damage! We like to refer to them as damage multipliers. This could have been you:

(And in fact, this appears to be the same style of grille you have!)

That said, yours appears to be the Nissan-branded brush guard (possibly originally made by Aries?), so it's possible that you could locate one through the dealership.

I found what seems to be a matching part here:
http://www.leeparts.com/nissan_xterra/accessories/exterior/grille_guard.html

There's also this version with bars across the lights:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Nissan-Xterra-Grill-Brush-Guard-05-08-/251154138236

Those seem to be more plentiful.

On another note, howdy from Boston! Check us out at NEXTerra.org (Northeast Xterra Club) for local wheeling and meetups.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moose Jaw! Wow! Thanks :) (Family is originally from NB...though I'm sure it's NOTHING like SK!)

I think I finally got the pics to load...was having trouble between the zillion photo sharing sites that don't actually let you share the pics LoL

This is actually my 2nd front end accident in my X...not sure why I'm so accident prone in this thing, but the first accident literally left not a single dent...the car in front of me had a pretty mangled up rear end...not saying that I haven't read a lot of people here say that they're worthless...just saying that in my personal experience it's actually helped (or had the seeming effect to help anyway LoL)

Plus...and I know this sounds pretty silly...but there are only a very small handful of us X's out there with this particular style bumper guard. Most of the others out here are the cheap cheesy $200 plastic "bolt-ons" that you can find at the local auto parts place. I really like the way it looks.

With that being said, the Shrocker is SAWEET!! Just not sure of the cost difference. If I can justify the difference, ie factory guard is $900 and the Shrocker is $1,100...and they allow me to pay the difference, ABSOLUTELY...just need a place to start the price comparisons.

And thanks for the well wishes...I literally cried at the scene...not cause I was hurt...but because SHE was LoL

I had an 04' Wrangler that I loved like a child...but my X...well...they each have their advantages, but I will own another X before I buy another Jeep ;)

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Plus...and I know this sounds pretty silly...but there are only a very small handful of us X's out there with this particular style bumper guard. Most of the others out here are the cheap cheesy $200 plastic "bolt-ons" that you can find at the local auto parts place. I really like the way it looks.
From my quick research, it seems like this particular model was only available on earlier X models. Not seeing this style for 09+, they all have the light slats and only mount from the bottom. Yours seems to bolt through the bumper as well, which I suppose is better than most.

With that being said, the Shrocker is SAWEET!! Just not sure of the cost difference. If I can justify the difference, ie factory guard is $900 and the Shrocker is $1,100...and they allow me to pay the difference, ABSOLUTELY...just need a place to start the price comparisons.
You can pay a grand to get front end damage fixed, or you can pay a grand (then wait a few months) and come out the winner every time.

Some insurance companies will just cut you a check - granted most of that will go to front end repair, but anything left will definitely help offset the balance on an aftermarket bumper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lucky that brush guard didn't cause more damage! We like to refer to them as damage multipliers. This could have been you:

(And in fact, this appears to be the same style of grille you have!)
WOW! Ok...I get the point now LoL

That said, yours appears to be the Nissan-branded brush guard (possibly originally made by Aries?), so it's possible that you could locate one through the dealership.

I found what seems to be a matching part here:
http://www.leeparts.com/nissan_xterra/accessories/exterior/grille_guard.html
Yep...that looks like the one...thank you very much...

On another note, howdy from Boston! Check us out at NEXTerra.org (Northeast Xterra Club) for local wheeling and meetups.
I will! I would love to join in a meetup!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From my quick research, it seems like this particular model was only available on earlier X models. Not seeing this style for 09+, they all have the light slats and only mount from the bottom. Yours seems to bolt through the bumper as well, which I suppose is better than most.
Exactly. Mine is an 07'...I guess I always thought they were better to have than not because they were mounted to the frame...ie, damage would only be cosmetic versus radiator, engine, etc...but I see the point ~ if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen...

You can pay a grand to get front end damage fixed, or you can pay a grand (then wait a few months) and come out the winner every time.

Some insurance companies will just cut you a check - granted most of that will go to front end repair, but anything left will definitely help offset the balance on an aftermarket bumper.
That's true...didn't think of it that way...I've got her at the repair shop now...the rear end took a much heavier beating...thankfully I was't found at fault, so one way or another, I should get a check of some sort, right? LoL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
funny you say that, I actually grew up in Moncton and joined the military after high school. I can admit this though I miss the east coast
Ha! Small world! My cousin's husband is from NB as well...he is in the Canadian Navy...they spent some time in Saskatoon and are now in NS. I don't think I could live that far away from the ocean :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts