Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hopefully I am posting in the right section. Every time I start my x, the gauges flicker instead of going up to where they should be. This lasts about 5 seconds. After it starts to work, the 4WD light comes on, but the digital four wheel drive display shows nothing, not even the 4 tires or whatever. And this morning when I started my x, it would not start on the first turn of the key, so I backed the key all the way off, the gauges flickered and there was a clicking sound from under the hood (while the key was in the off position). It takes a few seconds longer for it to start also. This mean I need a new battery? Need any help I can get. Appreciate it.

·
on line
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All connections/grounds are fine. When key is on the "on" position, the battery gauge is almost at the bottom. Guess I'm getting a new battery. Any suggestions? Optima yellow?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
This just started happening to me, just replaced the starter, recently had someone check the battery/ alternator and they said that was fine, I did unplug the battery when i changed the starter, im going to go check the battery and connections now, idk why but im starting to worry something like the IPDM is going bad..

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
i swear, every year when it starts getting cold i have to replace the battery, good thing is its usually within the warranty period for the advance auto parts battery. though, this time i may request a credit towards a better battery.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Do you have a digital voltage readout? Could be helpful to see what the system voltage is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a little thingy that tells me the voltage. With just the key on not engine it says 11.3. Once engine is running it goes up to 14.3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All connections/grounds are fine. When key is on the "on" position, the battery gauge is almost at the bottom. Guess I'm getting a new battery. Any suggestions? Optima yellow?
Ran into this issue after the mech states bad starter. Actually bad battery. The battery was only producing 11.7 volts.not enough juice for the starter to fully engage. A very expensive error for me . Needed new battery, not starter. Mech was nice enough to work out a $$$$ compromise.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Ran into this issue after the mech states bad starter. Actually bad battery. The battery was only producing 11.7 volts.not enough juice for the starter to fully engage. A very expensive error for me . Needed new battery, not starter. Mech was nice enough to work out a $$$$ compromise.
Terrible mechanic there! Diagnosing a bad battery is about as easy as it gets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts