Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

At the moment I have 5100 front shocks at 1.5" (middle) setting and SAAL with 5100 rear shocks.

It's stimmy time so I want to go up to 3" of lift to round things out.

Now:

This is what I'm considering:

Unfortunately when I bought my rear shocks last time I wasn't considering lifting it more than 1" in the rear so I only bought the "stock" 5100s. Which is why I need new rear shocks now that I wanna lift more :/ I'm thinking the 2-4 inch length is a good option as it will most likely be a 2-2.5" lift in the rear with the SAAL and shackles. Anyone disagree?

I guess what I'm asking is, would anyone suggest me adding to this list? Or possibly changing parts up? I know I can do the rear brake line extension mod so I don't need to buy extended lines. Am I overlooking anything?

·
TNX Veteran
4,361 Posts
Parts list looks good. Only concern is ordering from PRG. You may get your parts quickly, you may get some of your parts quickly, or you may get them all 9 months from now after 1000 emails

·
Registered
619 Posts
#1 I would not order anything from PRG if you like getting your parts in a timely manner.

#2 I would order from Nisstec since they are an amazing company and in Colorado like you are.

·
on line
547 Posts
Sadly, having supported Greg in the early days of the II Gen, I have to agree with the assessment that the focus of his business has gone away from our models.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
979 Posts
As for your rear shocks.
I was hesitant to guess the specs of shocks that I would need before having everything installed for my lift, so I kept the 20.5" extended length ones I had and then measured everything after. You dont necessarily have to change them right away.

Turns out with a 3" aal and a shackle, I'm at 19" resting length eye to eye, and I'll disconnect the rear sway bar and stuff/extend and measure to be really sure which length to get. No real issues driving around short term with what I have.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I definitely agree with the PRG concerns. I ordered my other parts from Greg about 1.5 years ago and it took a few months to actually arrive. The only reason I was considering going with him again is because of the 3" extension kit he sells. I don't think Nisstec sells a 1.5" spacer :/

NissTec has a 2" spacer kit, but with my front shocks in the middle 1.5" setting, that would be closer to 3.5" of lift. Will that be too much? PRG says more than 3" causes TOO much strain on axles and joints.

I'm also very confused about rear shock options from NissTec. N-05X-RBIL -Rear Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks

They offer 5100s with 0-1.5", 2"-2.5", and 3"4" lengths. Whereas PRG has 5125s with a 2-4" length.

·
TNX Veteran
4,361 Posts
So I definitely agree with the PRG concerns. I ordered my other parts from Greg about 1.5 years ago and it took a few months to actually arrive. The only reason I was considering going with him again is because of the 3" extension kit he sells. I don't think Nisstec sells a 1.5" spacer :/
For the front, 3.5" is pushing it. IMO I would just get the more common 1" lift spacer, be at 2.5", and be done with it. You are probably not going to notice that little difference after a while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is definitely a random question, but did you honk at a silver Xterra on US-36/I-25 today? Also, I do have the same experience with PRG. Greg was really nice via email, but I think he might get a bit overwhelmed getting orders out the door. Nisstec has always been awesome when ordering from them or just calling to ask questions, also going to add All Dogs into the mix. Those guys are amazing when it comes to customer service.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the front, 3.5" is pushing it. IMO I would just get the more common 1" lift spacer, be at 2.5", and be done with it. You are probably not going to notice that little difference after a while.

Yeah I guess that's an option. I was just pretty set on the 3" kit when I bought the Mini Lift from PRG. I guess that has just been my "goal" this whole time but if there aren't other options than maybe I will have to consider something different.

This is definitely a random question, but did you honk at a silver Xterra on US-36/I-25 today? Also, I do have the same experience with PRG. Greg was really nice via email, but I think he might get a bit overwhelmed getting orders out the door. Nisstec has always been awesome when ordering from them or just calling to ask questions, also going to add All Dogs into the mix. Those guys are amazing when it comes to customer service.
I DID INDEED HELLO

Hah, I wasn't sure if you were on here but thought I'd say hi anyway.

Thanks for the note about All Dogs. Never heard of 'em but I'll check them out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I DID INDEED HELLO

Hah, I wasn't sure if you were on here but thought I'd say hi anyway.

Thanks for the note about All Dogs. Never heard of 'em but I'll check them out.

That's hilarious, I thought I recognized your X from the pic. Great looking rig! If you already have the 5100s in the front, you could purchase the lift coils from All Dogs along with a half inch spacer. Then add the adjustable shackle to the AAL like you planned, that's pretty much the exact lift I'm running. Sits around 2.5" of lift all around

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's hilarious, I thought I recognized your X from the pic. Great looking rig! If you already have the 5100s in the front, you could purchase the lift coils from All Dogs along with a half inch spacer. Then add the adjustable shackle to the AAL like you planned, that's pretty much the exact lift I'm running. Sits around 2.5" of lift all around

Yours too! There's so many stock Xs here that a lifted one is pretty easy to spot :D

What lift setting do you have your 5100s front set to then?

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
578 Posts
Oh man, no one honks at me to say hello in Denver. You can stop in to Nisstec and pick everything up usually. They were very helpful last time I called too.

All dogs off-road has also been very helpful when I called.

I have a similar setup but am pulling everything for a Titan swap eventually (meaning within a year or so). I thought 2.5" of lift was enough but I wheel with a diesel zr2 who just fit 35s and need to keep showing him up.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
Oh man, no one honks at me to say hello in Denver. You can stop in to Nisstec and pick everything up usually. They were very helpful last time I called too.

I have a similar setup but am pulling everything for a Titan swap eventually (meaning within a year or so). I thought 2.5" of lift was enough but I wheel with a diesel zr2 who just fit 35s and need to keep showing him up.

Come to Buena Vista, I'll honk at you. The other day someone was asking for pictures of Titan swaps in the Xterra Facebook group. Nisstec was even replying with links and answering questions. You don't see many vendors doing that. Some don't even answer the phone or reply to messages or emails.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'll honk if I see you! I just don't drive much anymore :p

Happy to hear all the shout outs for Nisstec. I sent them a message similar to this post to see what options they recommend. But maybe I'll just go with the 1" space and call it good with the 2.5" lift. If I do go that route, I guess the next question is which length 5100s do I get? Like I said, my SAAL is about 1"-1.5". If I get shackles, I can install them on their lowest setting at 1" and then get somewhere between 2"-2.5" in the rear. Obviously I want the rear level with the front, or at least a bit higher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll join in on this and highly recommend All Dogs Offroad. I bought my OME lift from them back in October and their customer service was top notch!

·
Registered
655 Posts
is that just a 1.5 inch suspension lift you have now? it looks good, what size tires?

·
Registered
2013 Nissan Xterra pro 4 x Lava Red
112 Posts
I have 5125 rear bilsteins 2-4 inch got them from
Prg within a week. But I called him and ordered directly. I also ordered my upper spcs, front bilstiens.. 5100’s. Rear prg diff cover, and shims all within a week. I would not recommend using nisstec shims, I used every size they had and didn’t work. Then ordered prg’s and his worked. I’m actually getting my alldogsoffroad coil springs
Tomorrow to set my front 5100 to zero. The springs offer 2 inches of lift and I’m putting half inch spacer in. Paired with my rear old man enu medium pack in the rear with my nisstec shackles it’s going to be finally complete and have an amazing ride quality.
Finally! So if I were you I’d just called Greg and see what he has in stock. He will ship quick and he is super helpful.
If he answers that is.. I learned he answers more often in the afternoon.
Good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is that just a 1.5 inch suspension lift you have now? it looks good, what size tires?
Yes, currently a 1.5" lift. I think it ended up being only about 1" in the rear, but it sits level which is perfect for me. Tires are 285/75/16. Need to melt mod and cut the fenders some to get them to fit with these wheels, tho. They'd have fit with stock wheels with just the melt mod. These wheels poke out about 1.5" from factory.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have 5125 rear bilsteins 2-4 inch got them from
Prg within a week. But I called him and ordered directly. I also ordered my upper spcs, front bilstiens.. 5100’s. Rear prg diff cover, and shims all within a week. I would not recommend using nisstec shims, I used every size they had and didn’t work. Then ordered prg’s and his worked. I’m actually getting my alldogsoffroad coil springs
Tomorrow to set my front 5100 to zero. The springs offer 2 inches of lift and I’m putting half inch spacer in. Paired with my rear old man enu medium pack in the rear with my nisstec shackles it’s going to be finally complete and have an amazing ride quality.
Finally! So if I were you I’d just called Greg and see what he has in stock. He will ship quick and he is super helpful.
If he answers that is.. I learned he answers more often in the afternoon.
Good luck!
Thanks for the input! I'm not saying I won't order form him again... but I'm definitely cautious. I guess that's what credit card/paypal disputes are for if he doesn't get me my shit in a timely manner :p
But Nisstec being so close is a huge plus. Wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Okay, so is that an option that I'm not considering? How is the rebound of the 5100 shocks with factory springs on the 1" setting compared to the 1.5"? I could drop the lift on the shocks and then add the 2" Nisstec spacer. I've just been wanting to keep the shocks at 1.5" because that's what everyone says is recommended. Anyone running their 5100s at 1"?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes, currently a 1.5" lift. I think it ended up being only about 1" in the rear, but it sits level which is perfect for me. Tires are 285/75/16. Need to melt mod and cut the fenders some to get them to fit with these wheels, tho. They'd have fit with stock wheels with just the melt mod. These wheels poke out about 1.5" from factory.
what sliders do you have
i have hefty sliders, stock everything else, but your set up looks just about perfect to me as is, enough to be an improvement without going bonkers.....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts