Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wrapping up an installation on my new 2008 X, installing an Alpine head unit. The head unit automatically dims when the headlights are turned on. To get this to work, I need to tap into the "Instrument Cluster Illumination Lead". Can ANYONE tell me how to find this wire????? I'd like to get this feature to work, but am no electrician.

THANKS in advance!

Steve P

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I don't have my X right now so I can't remember if the stock HU dimmed with headlights. But an alternative is tapping the parking light wire in the driver kick panel. But the drawback is that you have to run the wire to the center console. But I'd assume accessing the parking light wire might be a bit easier than the cluster.

·
on line
366 Posts
The wire is on the harness someplace, I believe. My avic D3 dims when I turn on the headlights. It's actually somewhat annoying when you turn on the headlights during the daytime though. You can't really read the maps very well.

·
on line
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that. I was wondering how I would wire a switch to dim it if I wanted to...

Steve

·
on line
366 Posts
stevep said:
I thought about that. I was wondering how I would wire a switch to dim it if I wanted to...

Steve
Hmm, that should be pretty easy. If you want it to dim with the headlights, but be able to un-dim it, I think you can just put a switch on the dimmer wire. It'd be really cool to have some sort of light sensor so it'd not dim if it's daylight, but you have the headlights on.

btw, there might be a menu option to control the dimming also. The D3 has it, but it's buried deep in a bunch of menus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts