Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
27 Posts

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you would be good with either. but also consider the PRG spacers and shackles, very high quality parts.....be warned thou, spacers may cause UCA contact.

the Daystar lift kit (includes spacers and shackles) is also a great lift option.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willgr1 said:
you would be good with either. but also consider the PRG spacers and shackles, very high quality parts.....be warned thou, spacers may cause UCA contact.

the Daystar lift kit (includes spacers and shackles) is also a great lift option.
What is UCA contact?

So which one is the best (what would you get if you could choose)?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
oops, didn't notice your a noob......UCA contact is upper control arm contact. all spacers go between the top of the shock and the coil bucket mount. this thus pushed the lower control arm down with in turn lowers the upper control arm, thus making it more likely to come in contact with the coil bucket. From what i've read the Daystar spacer has not shown UCA contact. the top gunz customs and calmini have. not totally sure about the PRG spacers.

personally i would go with the daystar kit if i was looking to do spacers, those who have them have not had any issues and seem to really like them.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks! But is the Daystar lift hard to install, because as you can probably tell I am very new to this. How much it cost to get it professionally installed?

·
on line
358 Posts
I went with the AC shackles and a set of Top Gun Customz spacers off e-bay (they look the same as the ones your looking at). Our Xterra had only 5000 miles on it when I lifted it. The UCA contact was worse then but as the springs have settled some it isn't bad (12,000 miles now). You also get used to the sound. 2" is a mild lift but it helps and looks better.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
all spacer shackles lifts install the same. check out the how-to forum, there should be some installs in there somewhere. honestly, if you are somewhat mechanically inclined you should try to install yourself, a shop will charge atleast 2 hours labor for like an hour 1/2 of easy work.

where are you located, we have members all over the country who are willing to help a fellow member with installs.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
I put on the daystar lift, I have no contact at all. my X for some reason just settled at the perfect height. Nissan should have made the Nissan Stock at that height. I just love the way it drives with it.

Installing it is a pain if you don't know what to do, but it's simple

Plus you need to get the truck aligned right after the lift. Good luck.
Firestone offers lifetime alignment, for $160. It's a really good deal. which you should take advantage of.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright it sounds like I should go with the Daystar. I am in Plano, TX (DFW area) but I'm only 17 so I don't have any of the tools I need.

·
on line
432 Posts
Been wondering about lifts as well. 2-3 inches sounds good but I don't want any contact or to ruin my handling. Let me know how it goes. :)

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RussellB said:
Been wondering about lifts as well. 2-3 inches sounds good but I don't want any contact or to ruin my handling. Let me know how it goes. :)
Yeah that is what I was thinking. It sounds like the Daystar won't create too much of a problem. Is there anyone in the DFW area that could help me install it???

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Im in houston... Dont know if that is close enough for you. Also we have a trail run planned for the fourth and fifth at general sams in huntsville (in between dallas and houston).

·
on line
4,495 Posts
I have the PRG 2" spacers on my Frontier (same front suspension) and have some UCA contact. It only happens when I really try to make it happen, and I mean REALLY try. Now with the 3" spacers, it will definetly cause UCA contact.

All you need are basic hand tools, a socket set that goes to atleast 17mm, and a BFH (big fawking hammer), jack, and jack stands. Its a good reason to get yourself a starter tool set, hit up Lowe's or Home Depot for their brands...they seem to be a bit cheaper than Craftsman.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I want to get it professionally installed, where should I go (4WheelParts won't install it because they don't sell it)? And what would be a reasonable price?

·
on line
142 Posts
Dude, if you go with daystar, all the directions and advise that you need are right here at your fingertips. I would take Peck's suggesstion and buy a starter tool kit. And you will still save a couple hundred below what any proffessional shop would quote.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
mkaydude22 said:
If I want to get it professionally installed, where should I go (4WheelParts won't install it because they don't sell it)? And what would be a reasonable price?
Your looking at anywhere from $50-$75 an hour for shop time. Some places even have a minimum hours, along the lines of 3 or 4hrs. Its not going to take anywhere near that long to do the lift and you know they'll take their precious ass time to do it. You'd be overpaying, IMO.

There is a wealth of knowledge here and all over the net, if you can read instructions and turn a wrench...your good to go. I don't know any X owners around your neck of the woods, but there are some Frontier owners. Check out ClubFrontier.org and post in the regional section, I bet someone would be more than willing to help out for the cost of lunch.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
You should defiantly install it yourself. This kind of lift doesn't require all that many tools to do, and if you are wheeling your X those are tools that you should have with you at all times anyway. Besides it is wayy easy to do and the How to's on this site are amazing. :)

·
on line
10,133 Posts
XterraDude said:
You should defiantly install it yourself. This kind of lift doesn't require all that many tools to do, and if you are wheeling your X those are tools that you should have with you at all times anyway. Besides it is wayy easy to do and the How to's on this site are amazing. :)
x2!!! Couldn't have said it better myself

1 - 20 of 24 Posts