Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I would like to introduce myself. I'm Noah and my wife and I are in the market for an Xterra. We currently have a 2015 Frontier that my wife bought for herself. She bought the sv model and at 1st I was disappointed as it is very basic except for the heated seats. I urged her to go for the 4WD option but it was her truck so It was her decision. We previously had 2 4WD vehicles a 1988 Dodge Raider (2 dr Mitsubishi Montereo ) bought new and a 1995 4 dr Mitsubishi Montero bought new that we traded the Dodge Raider on (I later wished that I had kept it as a 2nd car) We kept the Montero 20 years and 189,000 miles then sold it to our son inlaws brother. I am looking at a couple of used Xterras one is a 2007 2WD with 128,000 miles in pretty good shape. The radiator looks new, the coolant is fresh, the engine runs and sounds good and the transmission shifts good. The body is straight and there is a small rust spot under the driver's side rear fender right above the tire. The frame and underneath have no rust and it is very clean inside, outside and underneath. the price is under 3 grand and the carfax shows no accidents. The only downside is that it is 2WD. I did notice it had the Locking diff switch on the dash below the HVAC controls and I thought that was unusual.

The other one I am looking at is a longshot as it is pending sale but if if falls through I'm next up. It's 2011 Pro 4X,with less than 70,000 miles for a few grand more but it has a number of minor issues that can add up to $2000 if taken to a repair shop. I could do most of it myself at 1/3 of the cost but I'm not sure If I want to take it on.

So I would like some feedback and or recommendations, I want to stay around 5 grand total for my purchase.
Thanks
Noah

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If you intend to do any off pavement exploring, go 4wd, if you plant to striclty stick to pavement, then why not 2wd?

also the new rad and coolant might seem nice but to me its a potential warning sign that it had smod, even if it still seems to shift well now, it may still have been damaged.

research SMOD on this site and youll find out all you need to know.

also it is unusual for the 2wd to have the locker, from the factory at least. someone must have added that?

good luck on your search, I bought my x from central FL and its great becuase it had virtually no rust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies . I went with the 2WD as the 4WD sold fast. The 2WD was cheap enough that when the right 4WD comes along I will buy it. Currently we are a 2 Nissan Family, '15 Frontier and '07 Xterra.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts