Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum, big HELLO from Virginia! I haven't gotten an X yet but an going to very soon so I'm here for advise, and then after I get one I'll be here for all the mod info :help:

Right off the bat, I torn between the off-road and S trims. I'm going to replace the stock tires right away with better 265/75s which I assume is OK on the S with stock suspension since that size comes on the off-road so that's no advantage. I don't think I'll need the locking diff or springs since I'll be mostly beach driving and have been for years with no locking rear. I do like the skid plates since I've run over large pieces of wood just under the sand before that have popped up and hit the bottom. But at $2k more for the trim level, I think I can get plates cheaper. I do like the fog lights.

What say you, Xperienced owners?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
welcome!

first off, those sized tires will be fine on any model.

Second, if you have to option get the offroad, that locking diff will come in handy. While i do not have one, there have been a few times i wish i did.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willgr1, yes the locking rear and plates are the most attractive part of the package for me even though it'll be lightly used, but it's interesting to hear from TXterra37 that the plates might be suspect... As I do a little more research, it's possible the cost difference might not be 2k over an S. Especially considering the cost of fog lights and I forgot to mention the folding front passenger seat isn't bad either. You've got to get a pricey package for that.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
krahlr said:
willgr1, yes the locking rear and plates are the most attractive part of the package for me even though it'll be lightly used, but it's interesting to hear from TXterra37 that the plates might be suspect...
That was actually 'Creek', not trying to steal anyone's thunder! It's all good...newbie!

·
on line
4,919 Posts
:drunken: Welcome! :drunken:

I have wished I had the locker a good number of times. I have the S with the protection package and the utility package and it ended up being dang close to the sticker price on the offroad. As far as skids, my advice is to spend the $$$ on the shrockworks skids no matter what model you get.

·
TNX Administrator
20,359 Posts
:pirate: "Ahoy, Matey! :newb: (n00b) Welcome! Yer on a site dedicated t' Nissan's, "Next Generation Xterra." Step aboard, take in what you can, but promise t' share what you learn!" :3some:

So let t' mods begin: http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2742 :thumbup:

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all,,,, I think it's going to be the new money pit for me, just got out of a few years building up fly fishing gear so any new hopes I had of saving money are going down the drain!

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
Ahoy, and welcome aboard! :pirate:

I'd say the OR may be overkill for you, if you're just driving on the beach. Even though the stock skids aren't comparable to Shrock's or others, I'd bet they'd be fine for that occasional piece of drift wood on the beach, bouncing up underneath the truck. Hell, the stock skids are better than nothing at all.

·
on line
551 Posts
Welcome!
I'd go for the Off Road and try hard to work the deal. The difference may not be that much.
Plus resale is better on the Off Road.
And if you ever end up somewhere other than the beach, you just might need that locker, or downhill assist, or fold down that front seat for that long box that didn't look that big in the store.
Oh and the interior seat material is nicer also and more durable on the Off Road.
yeah all in all, I'm glad I spent the extra on the Off Road.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M rat, that's good info, I didn't think about the interior material. I'll be at the dealer this weekend test driving both trims. Turns out there's now a $2k total rebate on the 08s. Yes, I'll workm over on the price.

Lot's of cool stuff on this site, good to see an active forum!

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, this might be it. I got an "extended" test drive on this OR with 8 miles on it. (has 52 now :) The Bilstein shocks actually ride as nice on the highway as the stockers on the S, if not better so I'm happy about that. Did not want a stiffer ride than the S. The price they quoted with no options other than floor mats is 24,639 but are wiling to negotiate more if I take the color they've got in stock. I started talking about the dark red and gray color which they don't have so they really want to sell this one. Might shoot for $25k OTD with a tow package added...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts