Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got these today. Not going on yet though. Gotta wait untill I get my lift on (the leaf packs will be here in a week or so).

Okay they are the Pro comp 8089's and Pro comp xtreme M/T 315/70/17

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Those tires look amazing. I had ProComp MT's on my last rig and loved them. Doesn't seem fair to have those new tires and not be able to wheel'em in fear of catastrophic failure. Life is so cruel.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
ed,
don't forget you have some fronty guys having a new d44 diff made to fit our X's. That should hold up to the 35's.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
They should fit with the 5" lift he is installing. He may need to trim some. Also I think he will be using wheel adapters to push them out a little.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Do you think the diffs will hold up as long as you don't do any off roading? I'm wanting to put 35's on mine but I'm afraid of tearing stuff up. BTW those look awesome.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kokopop said:
They should fit with the 5" lift he is installing. He may need to trim some. Also I think he will be using wheel adapters to push them out a little.
5" lift ---- Yes
4-7" radflo's that will make me have 7" of lift ----- Yes
spacers to make the rims fit ------ Yes

·
on line
15,651 Posts
MAD Offroad (just down the street from you in Youngstown is working on building a D44 that replaces our front diff. There is a thread over on Club Frontier about it. I'll be shocked it if does happen (especially for the price they are talking (around $2K w/ Locker). But if it does, it will be nice. We also have to wait for Xterra Racer's gear sets to be finished for the rear axle so the gears can match.

·
on line
65 Posts
I've been looking at doing the same rims and I spoke with a procomp rep and he said I wouldn't need the spacers. I'm starting to wish I'd bought a jeep... Can anyone confirm that the spacers are neccessary or are we all just guessing?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mcampana said:
So will it replace the whole axel and everything? Or would we still have an ifs? Just a better diff in the mix then..........
It's just a diff replacement. It will still be IFS and my hope is that stock half shafts can still be used (or if not stock for the new X, stock off some other vehicle, so spares are easy to come by).

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I've got longer custom half shafts, part of my new SLR front end. I'm counting on them being plenty strong. I assume my tie rod ends (I'll carry spares) or my diff will go before a half shaft.

By the way, IMO, 35s, driven without excessive wheel lock in 4, would likely be fine off road. The problem's going to come starting up from stuck with the wheels jacked, or hard jamming on really tight turns, especially with decent traction in 4-Lo. I'm not denying that 35s are more force on the diff, but it doesn't strike me as obvious that the diff can't take it. It's a continuum. Tire/wheel weight is a big factor, more important than diameter, since inertia is at play starting out when stuck. BFG MT 35s weigh less than Toyo MT 33s! I posted about this issue on the "broken diff guys" thread.

I say wheel the thing with 35s, just be mindful. And of course a new diff would be very welcome, and more bullet-proof.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Difference is, I would rather blow a trail replacable half shaft than a diff. :)

I really really really wish Warn would release a hub conversion kit for the new X's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts