Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just mounted my Hella 500s on my front bumper and they won't turn on. Very frustrating...we went through and checked most areas so far, but feed is going to the relay to the switch, the switch is working properly and when 'on' properly routes the current back to the relay and to the lights. We are making sure at each point that it's conducting. At this point it's either IN the relay or a problem in the wiring from the relay to the lights themselves. Plan on spending more time tonight troubleshooting this, but with this little info has anyone ever run into something that sounds like this? I know I am not giving much info here, but figured I would through it out there.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
1- Does the relay close when you toggle the switch?
2 - Have you tested the continuity between the pins when the relay is closed and open? I forget the pins off the top of my head.
3 - Your lights are grounded properly?
4 - When you hook up the 12V to the relay then close the switch and measure the output of the relay to ground. You should get ~12-14V

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great questions, and I definitely forgot to include some info..

1. The relay does close when I toggle the switch. We checked with it when the switch was 'on' and 'off' and if behaved as we expected with it conducting and not conducting.

3. We made sure the lights were grounded by actually throwing up a connection between them and the battery ground just to make sure and it didn't change it. We tried essentially 3 different good grounds.

4. Didn't check this, but I will when I get home. Silly work interfering with X stuff.

·
on line
6 Posts
I know it's a stupid question but if you pulled your hot tap off of your head lights for the relay did you have your headlights turned on when you were trying to turn the lights on?

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No question is a stupid one, but I tried it with both the headlights on and off, and I also wired the Hellas completely independent from the headlights.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Eric, this is almost exactly what I went through when I wired my roof lights. To this day, I still don't know how, but it turned out that I had crossed up the wires coming from the relay to the lights. I ended up tearing out all the wiring and starting over. I made sure to physically trace each wire from end to end, ensuring it was connected to the appropriate locations. I was also able to eliminate relays altogether, but that's only because my lights draw like 2amps and I didn't want illuminated switches.

I'm sorry it's not working out man. Believe me, I feel your frustration, especially with the SCCX run in 2 days.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
In a Hella wire harness there is a requirement that you hook a wire to the stock headlamp low or hi beam lights (Depending) You look at the wire diagram and get power to that wire, Your lights will turn on. To test, just find the wire i speak of on diagram, run a test line from it to Battery Pos + and turn on the lights using the switch, if it lights, I am right, you then decide how you want to handle this, I by passed it. (Illegal but who's looking unless you get stupid with it) But you can hook it like they say, or, hook it to a parking lamp (Good Idea) Or Ign On wire (Also good idea) a bad Idea is right to something hot all the time because like that, you can leave the Hellas on and drain your battery. So hook that wire to something that only lights when key is on, Or turns off when the lights turn off. MC

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This could very well be where the problem is then!

The only issue is, when I am looking at it (from last night) I didn't see another connection that was available to do this. Relay seemed to have all of it's wires used (power, ground, switch, power to lamps), so where does this extra wire connect to?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
erick, i wired my hella up tonight, used to toggle too....i ran red to the battery+, blue to battery -, black i grounded on the roof, and the green wire (from the toggle switch) i ran to the indicator in the front, lights fired up perfectly....too bad i touched a piece of metal with the wire cutters and blew a fuse, lol...i have to finish my install another day!

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
willgr1 said:
erick, i wired my hella up tonight, used to toggle too....i ran red to the battery+, blue to battery -, black i grounded on the roof, and the green wire (from the toggle switch) i ran to the indicator in the front, lights fired up perfectly....too bad i touched a piece of metal with the wire cutters and blew a fuse, lol...i have to finish my install another day!
That's funny you would mention blowing a fuse...

So last night I went to work on them again once I got home from work, and it ends up I DID have the wiring all done correctly. Long story short, one of the black wires running to the lamps ended up having a cut in that was touching a ground and every time I tried to turn them on I was blowing a fuse. Replaced the fuse twice then checked all wiring until we found this. I also wrapped as much of the wires as I could last night in better insulation. After another late night, lights are working. ((SIGH))

EDIT: Damnit Syndicate...just noticed you offered help on SCCX site. I so would have taken you up on that...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Glad you got em working. I might need some assistance when I get my bumper lights. I'll be getting Hellas for the Shrock I don't have yet and I'm not familiar with hooking them into the headlights.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Hella ha sthe best wiring harness I have ever seen in a light kit. The directions are tops as is the quality of materials. But, you may come up a little short, check 1st you can add on pretty easy. I don't like to hack a factory harness so I'd find a good way to get power to that one wire that don't involve getting into the factory harness. That way if you ever have electrical problems, you start disconnecting aftermarket stuff 1st. I think I'd tap an ING ON in the fuse box with one of the blade fuse taps like I use in the ABS OFF Brake Mod (pic there I think) MC.

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I was just stupid...In any case I did figure it out. The difficulty for ME was in the switch that was different then what they provided (I bought a different one that is).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Buy a small pocket sized milti-meter. They are great for troubleshooting problems like this. You can also test continuity on things like switches and relays so you know how they should be connected.

·
on line
463 Posts
Okay, Now you guys can add me to the list of conquereers of the dreaded
Hella 500s.
Erick, you will remember that I asked how you overcame the problem on our March run ?
Not Important !
Today, I traced every wire that I had meticulously zip-tied in when I first routed the wiring for these lights.
Don't do this ! Make em' work,,,,then do the zip-ties !
I dis-connected, and traced, and took apart the dash, again and followed all of the power and checked all of my grounds.
I, now, have the relay powered from the marker lights and the lights powered from the fuse box.
And, they work ! Even the pilot light in the switch !
Next project should be an accessory fuse panel direct from the battery.
Thanks to all for the support and assistance.
JB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts