Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up 6 Hella 500's. Four will go on the roof and two will eventually go on the Shrockworks bumper in the near future. My question is can i hook up the four lights on the roof to one switch? I only want to have two switches, one for the bumper lights and the other for the roof lights. I already know that im gonna be hooking up both fuses to the battery and running two relays but how do i hook up both sets of lights to one switch? Also, can i use the switches that the lights came with or am i gonna have to get a switch with more pins on it? Any help would be appreciated as well as pics and or diagrams. Thanks

·
on line
2,874 Posts
well, i know others here know ALOT more about this than I, but simplistically, don't you just tie in the each power lead from each lamp into one wire that leads to the switch as long as the components (switch/wires/relay) can handle the load? I know you'd probably need relays etc, but wouldn't you just setup on set of lights, then piggy back the other set to the same connection points on the relay or switch if you don't use the relay? Make sure you use relay and wires that can handle it though. Remember the p=i v equation? if you have 2 55 watt lamps that means 110 total watts is the power. so 110w = I (12volts) so amps or current capacity of the wires/relays/switches need to handle at least 110/12 amps or around 9.x amps. For 4 lamps of 55watts each, it would be 220w/12 volts = 18.3333333333 amps.

please correct me if I am wrong on this ....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ok, it will not be hard to do, but you will want to pick up a few things before you get started.

The Hella 500 lights come with a good quality 30A relay, wire harness and a switch. The switch and wire harness are a joke. The wires are too short if you want to run a switch and the switching ugly and requires drilling to mount.

So...

Buy yourself two new switches (I like the ones at www.4x4mods.com). One for the bumper lights and one for the roof lights.

Buy yourself a couple spools of stranded wire. You want Red and Black, but I would also pickup a third color to make it easier to figure out what goes where down the road when you have to fix it. I would suggest #12 red and black wire to power the lights to the relay and the relay to the battery. I would suggest #16 wire for the switch to the relay.

You will want to pick up some insulated female spade adapters. You will want a few different sized.

You'll also want to pick up some ring adapters in a few different sizes.

For the bumper lights it's pretty straight up simple.

-Run the ground from each light to a good ground on the frame using #12 wire and a ring adapter.
-Run the positive line from each light to the relay using #12 wire. You will want to run the relay side of these wires into one female spade connector to plug into the relay. I would use a #10 spade connector.
-Run a #12 line from the relay to the battery (or aux fuse block) being sure to fuse the line as close as you can to the battery (a 10-15A fuse should be good)
-Run a #12 line from the relay to ground on the frame.
-Run a #16 line from the relay to the switch (this is where a different color wire comes in handy).
-Run a #16 line from the switch to a 12V power source. This can be be switched or non switched (I have mine wired into the parking lights so that the bumper lights can not be turned on without the marker lights on).
-Run a #16 line from the switch to ground (with most switches this is for the light in the switch).

To wire in the roof lights you do the same thing. A 30A relay will be enough to handle (4) 55W lights, but if you want to play it safe, run two lights per relay and then just run a wire from each relay into one switch.

With that many lights, I would look into running an Aux fuse block. I use the BlueSea blocks and really like them. Keep in mind, you will want a large amp fuse (or breaker) between your battery and the fuse block.

Also, I always suggest using a relay. They are not that complicated and it keeps the chance of a fire down and all high amp wires under the hood where they belong.

EDIT: Silverflash, you math is right. Amps = Watts/Volts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to be running the two relays. One for each set of lights on the roof. Im pretty sure the bumper lights will not be a problem. My only concern is the 4 roof lights. Will i be able to just use ONE of the switches that came with the lights or are you recommending a better switch like the one from 4x4mods.com? What if i just run both of those in line fuses to the battery? Will this be okay or should i go with one large fuse and put both those wires into the large fuse? Any diagrams for the roof lights?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Muzikman, what fuse block are you running from Bluesea? Did you just connect the wires from each set of lights to that one fuse or are you running two fuses?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You can use the stock switches that come with the Hella's to runt he roof lights. When using relays there is very little power going through the switch.

If you run two relays for the roof lights (one relay per two lights), then you will run two wires back to the battery (for just the roof lights). Each wire will need it's own 10-15A fuse. You could run like a 20A fuse and #10 wire from the battery to the two relays, but then you have to plug both relays into it which would require you to make a little "Y" adapter.

Do a google search, you can probably find a wire diagram for roof lights.

If you go with one relay for the roof lights, I would run all high amp lines with #10 wire and use a 40A relay. This would make the cleanest install, but would require you to buy a new relay.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am running these. I use the 6 terminal without the negative bus.

http://bluesea.com/productline/126

I would run each relay off a separate fuse. So if you run your roof lights off two relays, I would run three wires to the fuse block (two for the roof and one for the bumper).

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would it be possible to just use the two in line fuses that come with the lights? I could run both of them to the battery. By the way, how much was that fuse block? When running the oem hella switch, im guessing that i just take both wires from each relay(this is the 2 relay setup) and connect them to the switch right?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You could, but the wires that come with the Hella's are not very long, so you'll need to splice more wire on.

And yes, you can run a wire from each relay into one switch no problem.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey muzik, which switch are you running from 4x4mods? I just looked into their website and they have like 6 different series switches. Which one did you go for? Those look pretty much like a stock switch would look like so i might be leaning towards those.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Since they are all the same price I went with the Double Pole / Double Throw. Not that I can think of any reason right now, but it would allow you to activate something in the off position.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Muzik, would you happen to know which model number switch you went with? There are like four DPDT switches on their website.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Alright, I'm going to attempt wiring some lights today and I have the RS42P switch as stated above. Anybody wanna offer up some knowledge as to what wires go to which posts on the back of the switch. On these switches, there are only 4 posts - #'s 1, 2, 4, & 5. Here's the diagram from their site...I wish I could make sense of it myself.

·
on line
197 Posts
Shouldn't all Dual Pole/Double Throws have 6 contacts? Normally a DPDT will have the inputs on the middle pair of pins (2&5 above). In the "UP" position, 2 goes to 3, 5 to 6. In the down, 2 to 1, 5 to 4. You might have a Dual Pole/Single Throw. Hope I'm right here!

Either way, whether DPDT or DPST, it should work to control 2 relays. These 2 relays would be either on or off at the same time. Throwing in the switch lighting requires a +12 and GND for the inputs, again at pins 2 & 5. The left bank (1,2,3) have the GND duties, that's why they show a 12V external to the switch, completing the current path. The right bank (4,5,6) have the 12V duties, thats why you see the GNDs externally after the relays.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if necessary...

All the wires coming in/out of the switch to the relay(s) can be smaller 16 or 18 gauge

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Ill explain it easy for you incase you didnt get it. (if you only have four connections on the switch)
2. Ground
5. direct power source (battery, etc.)
1. OR 4. is where you need to run a wire to your relay. It depends on what you want.

When the switch is off the LED light inside of it is off, when the switch is on the LED light is on. So, if you want your hellas to be on when the LED is on, hook your relay into #1. If you want your hellas to be on when the LED is off hook your relay into #4.

·
on line
331 Posts
Muzikman Where do you get your blueseas fuse blocks from? If you order them online which vendor?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
you can get fuse blocks from radio shack, or from any place that does stereo installations. this one is from radio shack. Yeah, i know its only a double output fuseblock, but i think they have quadruple outputs there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts