Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had any issues with Hefty that they should cover under their warranty? I bought a bumper 8 months ago and it had the incorrect swing arm. The spare tire gets in the way of the hi-lift so it can't be mounted. After talking to Chris he said he was aware of it and fabricating a new one. I've tried to follow up with him every month or so and now can't get a response via email, phone, Facebook etc. Seems like Hefty has a decent reputation in this community which is why I went with them but getting the bumper I purchased is starting to seem questionable. Not sure where to go from here...

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definitely is a hefty product. Dual swing arm bumper, maybe it's a different design then the single arm? He just called me back and asked if I could remove and ship the arm back to him. Which is great news hopefully will get this issue resolved.

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
ahhh...dual swing arm...that's pretty sweet! I'm still shocked that he's got the swing arm mount attached with 4 bolts tho, & not welded on. that doesn't seem to be his style ;-) curious...is there a metal backing plate on the backside of the bumper that the bolts attach to, rather than directly to the bumper itself?

glad to hear Chris got back to ya too ;-)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm working from memory, but a friend has the newest style Hefty rear bumper (NOT the one on the website or Nisstec). It's designed to be modular and I believe it's using 4 bolts for the single, full length, swing arm. The tire stem is also bolted on so you can swap out for different bolt patterns and depths and the tire stem can also be adjusted for height.

ahhh...dual swing arm...that's pretty sweet! I'm still shocked that he's got the swing arm mount attached with 4 bolts tho, & not welded on. that doesn't seem to be his style ;-) curious...is there a metal backing plate on the backside of the bumper that the bolts attach to, rather than directly to the bumper itself?

glad to hear Chris got back to ya too ;-)

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
Well, I'll be d*mned! LOL. I wouldn't think the bumper metal would support the weight of a loaded swing arm using by using only 4 bolts for too long

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2

·
Registered
450 Posts
I also got the new Hefty rear bumper design a couple months ago, and as it's shipped, the hi-lift will not mount without redrilling the license plate mount holes because the license plate will cover the hole the foot of the hi-lift will slot into. Also, with the new tire carrier, the stem is very difficult to tighten and even after tightening it as much as possible, still wobbles like crazy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well, I'll be d*mned! LOL. I wouldn't think the bumper metal would support the weight of a loaded swing arm using by using only 4 bolts for too long
The effectiveness remains to be seen. Like Rkirby said, there seems to be a lot of play in the new swing arm design. Whether it's the mount or the stem or something else, I can't say. My friend brought it to Chris Heftys attention and last I heard he was getting a better bump stop for the swing arm.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, shipped Hefty the swing arm 4 weeks ago for what was supposed to be a 1 week turn around warranty fix. At least he answers the phone and returns messages now. Although very little of what he says turns out to be reliable. Still no idea when it might be shipped. Placed the order for the bumper 9 months ago now.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'll chime in again since we both have the same new swing arm design. I had one of the bolts that holds the stem on shear off tonight as I was driving along. This new design is extremely wobbly and verges on unsafe when when hitting any potholes or bumps. I'll be sending Hefty an email tonight as well as following up with a phone call tomorrow as it seems their communication & ability to follow through with their promises has dropped off a cliff. I ordered the rotopax adapter plate that's supposed to bolt onto the swing arm when I ordered the bumper back in January and I've yet to see it show up after months of "it's going to ship tomorrow". Attached is a picture of their new design and the bolt that sheared off, and since it's a blind bolt that's been welded into the stem and boxed off, it's not something that can be replaced without a lot of grinding, cutting, and rewelding... not impressed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the correct swing arm in NOV and it's on and working at advertised. Not super impressed with the durability it doesn't seem very stout. Was touching up my sliders yesterday and after a few uses they appear to have touched the rocker panel a few times. I'm not calling Hefty cause I'm done dealing with Chris. Won't be buying anything from him again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll chime in again since we both have the same new swing arm design. I had one of the bolts that holds the stem on shear off tonight as I was driving along. This new design is extremely wobbly and verges on unsafe when when hitting any potholes or bumps. I'll be sending Hefty an email tonight as well as following up with a phone call tomorrow as it seems their communication & ability to follow through with their promises has dropped off a cliff. I ordered the rotopax adapter plate that's supposed to bolt onto the swing arm when I ordered the bumper back in January and I've yet to see it show up after months of "it's going to ship tomorrow". Attached is a picture of their new design and the bolt that sheared off, and since it's a blind bolt that's been welded into the stem and boxed off, it's not something that can be replaced without a lot of grinding, cutting, and rewelding... not impressed.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the frustration will continue for the foreseeable future. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine is the new single swing arm, I heard a loud ping and then the bolt bounced off the back hatch, there is a cross bolt that managed to hold everything on but the whole assembly bounced all over the place at the slightest bump in the road. I ended up sending Chris a pretty lengthy e-mail explaining what happened and asked why the features advertised on the bumper aren't actually functional, like the hi-lift jack not fitting in the provided slot, and the rotopax mounting plate that I never received, he simply responded that he contacted his office people to send one out the next day. I waited until around 4 pm the next day to see if I would get a tracking number, I did not, so I gave them a call and the lady that answered had no idea what I was talking about but said she would make sure one was sent out that day, which she did (surprisingly).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is the new single swing arm, I heard a loud ping and then the bolt bounced off the back hatch, there is a cross bolt that managed to hold everything on but the whole assembly bounced all over the place at the slightest bump in the road. I ended up sending Chris a pretty lengthy e-mail explaining what happened and asked why the features advertised on the bumper aren't actually functional, like the hi-lift jack not fitting in the provided slot, and the rotopax mounting plate that I never received, he simply responded that he contacted his office people to send one out the next day. I waited until around 4 pm the next day to see if I would get a tracking number, I did not, so I gave them a call and the lady that answered had no idea what I was talking about but said she would make sure one was sent out that day, which she did (surprisingly).
Where you able to get this fixed?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
reading all this is making start to think twice about ordering anything from Hefty. That's unfortunate as I was really hoping to get their aluminum front bumper.

·
Registered
489 Posts
reading all this is making start to think twice about ordering anything from Hefty. That's unfortunate as I was really hoping to get their aluminum front bumper.
I know plenty of people running Hefty products on their trucks. I have their aluminum skid plates on my truck and will eventually get their aluminum front bumper. I have nothing but good things to say about their craftsmanship or quality and wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their other products.. In the case of this new rear bumper, it's designed to make fabrication easier for multiple models of truck/different configurations and, IMO, the design has got some flaws.

It's your choice, of course, but I wouldn't let a new, boldly designed but flawed rear bumper stop you from buying the rest of their solid product line.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
Kjswa
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing