Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heater core just went on my truck with 144k miles. After reading the different threads on getting at it to replace - seems the whole dash has to come out. WONDERFUL! Not something I want to do at this time - especially since I don't have a garage. What would a fair estimated price be to getting this replaced at a shop? I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off while I'm shopping around for a shop to do the job. Thanks.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
I paid around 350.00 to a small shop and purchased the heater core from courtesyparts.com I did notice that rock auto had a cheaper price..
they did have to remove the dash.....

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
My heater core just went on my truck with 144k miles. After reading the different threads on getting at it to replace - seems the whole dash has to come out. WONDERFUL! Not something I want to do at this time - especially since I don't have a garage. What would a fair estimated price be to getting this replaced at a shop? I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off while I'm shopping around for a shop to do the job. Thanks.
How often did you flush the coolant?

As for the others stating where to get the cheapest heater core; this is an intense job. I wouldn't be shopping for the cheapest part. I would be looking for the best quality.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How often did you flush the coolant?

As for the others stating where to get the cheapest heater core; this is an intense job. I wouldn't be shopping for the cheapest part. I would be looking for the best quality.
My coolant was replaced about 2 years ago when I had a new radiator installed. I ended up taking the truck to a shop the other day that I have been going to for years that know their Nissans. It cost me around $800 with a direct Nissan part replacement. I was able to get my truck back within a day. They do good work and I have never had any complaints about them. I'm just glad that I now don't have to worry about the heater core again for a long time. It made it this far at 144k miles. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Never did one on an X but i did one on a VW Golf and let me tell you, it SUUUUCKED! All car maker pretty much bury the damn thing. If i had to to it again and it only cost 500$ i would gladly fork over the cash

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was going to do this myself on my 2013 X. I knew it was going to be a difficult job, so I decided to try taking the dashboard apart in a scrapyard junker first (I needed a couple of other parts anyway for a different project). With so many connections, clips, and whatnot behind the dash, I didn't want to mess up my own ride. I was using the Haynes manual, along with some Nissan manuals that I found online. I got through most of the job okay on the junker until it came time to get the support member that runs behind the dash out. It's a very, very heavy steel tube, and I couldn't budge it. Sadly, I left the scrapyard defeated. Alas, it was the first time in my life that I have not been able to fix my car on my own.

I took it to the dealership to do it, and I thought the cost was reasonable. $1323.72. Two days to do it. I wanted the dealership to do it because I didn't trust another shop to do it and remember to plug in all the crap that they unplugged when they tore the dash apart. I did get a quote from an independent shop, and the dealership was only a few hundred higher anyway. In all, I was happy to pay it to not have to deal with the headache of tearing my whole dashboard out.

If you do decide to do the job yourself, here is a picture of your nightmare that awaits.

Good luck!

Ron

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The price you paid was pretty good. I paid around $1000.00 here for local shop and aftermarket part. I have had no issues though.

I also took my dash a little ways apart to have a look. For me removing the metal cross bar, plus the steering column, plus you have to evaporate and refill the AC - I figured this is a job for someone that has done it before - humility being the better part of valor.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Nissan didnt have to make this such a complicated fix.

I would be tempted to bypass my heater core and use a 12volt in cab heater/ defroster.

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
930 Posts
The only thing I recognized in that picture was a steering wheel. Wow

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
on line
2,243 Posts
You did it the hard way. Taking the whole dash apart is the amateur way of getting to it. The whole cash and beam come out as one. 2-person job.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
IIRC, the entire heater air distribution box is only $200 more from NIssan and that includes the heater core in it. I'd probably go that route since mode motors and blend doors are known to go bad and require dash removal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heater core in my first Xterra sprang a leak. I am really hoping not to have this issue again with my second. It would be really helpful if manufactures made parts accessible. I don't care if it's under the hood or in the dash, things need to be accessible and replaceable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You did it the hard way. Taking the whole dash apart is the amateur way of getting to it. The whole cash and beam come out as one. 2-person job.
Early2010, Well, I am an amateur, so that makes sense. But, I don’t see how it can all come out as one with heating ducts that need to come out, plugs that need to be undone, and that there are places that the beam is secured behind the dash. And, I couldn’t find any instructions online anywhere for that process. But, maybe there is some trick I don’t know about. And, the stuff I did up to that pic that I posted wasn’t really that hard. It was getting out that beam that wouldn’t budge that was the impossible part for me. That would have been even harder with another 50 pounds of dashboard hanging from it.

For the benefit of the group, can you post instructions on how to do it your way? This seems to come up a lot in the forums and I think the instructions would be useful to everyone!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Please share a write up for those less informed.

Reactions: drfussell

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Early2010, Well, I am an amateur, so that makes sense. But, I don’t see how it can all come out as one with heating ducts that need to come out, plugs that need to be undone, and that there are places that the beam is secured behind the dash. And, I couldn’t find any instructions online anywhere for that process. But, maybe there is some trick I don’t know about. And, the stuff I did up to that pic that I posted wasn’t really that hard. It was getting out that beam that wouldn’t budge that was the impossible part for me. That would have been even harder with another 50 pounds of dashboard hanging from it.

For the benefit of the group, can you post instructions on how to do it your way? This seems to come up a lot in the forums and I think the instructions would be useful to everyone!
The way you were doing it is directly out of the manual. I know this because I started the same as you - but wimped out much sooner. As soon as I saw that beam I figured no way of doing that by myself. That + the A/C recharge anyway - figured I would let someone else do it.

FWIW - the small independent shop I went to quoted me like 8 or 9 hours. I dropped it off one afternoon and they called the next AM to say it was done. When I picked up I asked how on earth it was so fast, and they said they had a guy from one of the big shops that moonlighted for them -doing only heater cores - and he did it after hours at their place. I supposed if you do them every day you get pretty good at it and figure out a bunch of tricks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts