Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Heated Mirrors

22K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  VMBiohazard 
#1 ·
The weather here the past week has got me thinking (always dangerous) and one of the things I miss from the Dodge is the heated mirrors which of course the American X doesn't have.
So the following thoughts popped into my head:
1) Are the electrical connections already there? Tried a Google search for the electrical connections, but came up short. Plus I'm not real good on reading those schmatics(sp?)
2)If the connections are there, would the mirrors from a Pathfinder fit? Physically they look the same, but couldn't find part numbers to see if in fact they are the same. Yes I could also get someone in Canada (or ebay canada) to buy them, but was thinking of a cheaper (and more readily available) solution.
What do you guys think?

#3 ·
Last year I had my mirror off, but at the time I wasn't thinking about heated mirrors, so I didn't look.

If the cricket comes back this winter, I'll be taking the door panel off again and I'll take a look.

It would be interesting if a Canadian would take off his panel and snap a pick of the mirror plug too.

#4 ·
If you do a Search of this site, you might have missed the existing info on this topic, because there are various discussions about "mirrors" (e.g. the ones about the rearview mirror). The trick is to use both "heated" and "mirror" as Search Keywords, and select the "Search for all terms" option:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1686

To the Moderators - maybe posts in this thread should be moved to the above thread, and this thread deleted? (no sense in having questions/info about the heated mirrors in two places) Also, maybe the rename the above thread to something more meaningful than "Calling All Canadians"?

#6 ·
I don't understand why the Xterra is different in Canada...

Heated Mirror I "can" understand but should be optional.

In Canada we have the 380-watt Rockford Fosgate standard in the Offroad Model and American OffRoad don't have it? Why?

:cussing:

#8 ·
Herms said:
I don't understand why the Xterra is different in Canada...
Two different corporate entities operating in two different countries. While some differences may be mandated by regulations, others are based on what the corporations think best suits their needs. For example, you can't buy the "X" model of Xterra in Canada, and I think that's because the X-trail is sold in Canada. On the other hand, the Americans can't buy an X-trail. In Norway, you can get the X-trail, but not the Xterra. Depending on how Nissan USA operates, you might find that Xterras sold in the US North East have the heated mirrors while those sold in the South West do not.

#40 ·
Many car makers do that... put options/features on vehicles by the area. Meaning... Someone in North Dakata has a bigger need for heated mirrors then those in texas. However, those in Texas, need A/C where those in North Dakota don't always need it as much.

Many vehicles here in Texas from several car makers (Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Toyota) all have "Texas Editions" They specifically add features for Texas that come standard that are options for those in the rest of the country... etc...
Most though are "DEALER/Stealer" add ons...

Sadly.... its a shame, I believe everything should be an option, if we want it, we buy it, if we don't then we won't. Can't sell something you don't have. lol

TGC

#9 ·
So is there any news on this? Do we have to be Canadian to get them?

#10 · (Edited)
I emailed Brian over at yournissanparts.com regarding this issue:

Brian,

I was just wondering if you could confirm for me if the heated side view mirrors that come on the Pathfinder LE (or the Pathfinder SE, Pathfinder Off-Road w/ Leather packages) would fit the 05-07 Nissan Xterras. If so, would it be just a simple plug-and-plug and all that would be needed is just the replacement of the mirror glass? If this is possible, can you also place the side view mirrors on yournissanparts.com? I know that they guys from thenewx.org and from xterraownersclub.com have been asking about it, but no one has confirmed it yet. They have also said that heated mirrors actually come standard on Canadian models. So, if the Pathfinder mirrors won't fit, maybe you can track down some heated Canadian mirrors for us?

Thanks for all the work you do.

His reply was the following:

I can not confirm that they will work; when I look at the part numbers they share a common Mirror on the base model, so it is a Possibility, but I do not have any concrete proof. They would not be plug_and_play though, because the Xterra would not have the wire connections for the Heated Mirror. I am sorry to say, I do not believe this will work without adding a new wiring harness to the vehicle.

Brian

#13 ·
muzikman said:
It's possible that you don't need another harness.

I might be willing to try if a Northern North American (AKA Canadian) would pick up a mirror and ship it to me. I would pay them of course.
According to the service manual, it looks like the non-heated mirrors have a connector on their wiring harness that has 3 wire, but that the heated mirrors have a 10-conductor connector.

#15 ·
I'll quote what I posted in the "Calling All Canadians" post on this topic. So where it basically stands is that we need someone to take off the door panel and take a pic of the harness inside the door and where it connects to the mirror. I've been busy at work and haven't had the time to do it myself, maybe I'll get to this weekend...

----------------
After talking to several Canadian dealerships, I can confirm that the Pathfinder and Xterra uses the exact same side mirror housing, but go by different part numbers. I also looked over the wiring diagrams and found out that fuse# 43 in the IPDM is for the heated mirrors and the relay already exist for them as well in the IPDM. This leaves the issue of the wiring of the door harness, the heated and non-heated harness is different. The manual I referenced stated that the Canadian heated mirrors use the B10 harness in the door and I confirmed that the harness is available from my local dealership.

I haven't had a chance to take my door apart to take a look at the harness and take some pics, but will do so when I take off my bump to kick out a dent left by some hit&run driver. I'm thinking since we have the main parts, it may just envolve getting the whole heated mirror housing and the B10 harness for our doors and you can have a plug-n-play factor heated mirrors. The B10 harness connects to the heated mirrors harness, then connects to the main harness in the door, which also supplies power/leads to the mirror/door locks and speaker.

The heated mirror housing are around $200 each plus $55 for the harness I recall. So figure about $500 to have a factory heated mirror setup on your Xterra.

#16 ·
Someone needs to pop the door off and see if teh wiring is already there. I figured out that the maxima already had the wiring there, and the max was wired in with the rear defroster. Here is a write up i did on the maxima. I even created my own wiring harness. total cost of that was oh. a dollar.

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=157845

Hope this helps someone trying to find out. If i can ever get warm garage up here in Minneapolis i may try to find out when i have time.

#18 ·
Another cold weekend (with snow or so they say) so it'll have to wait.
But I'm thinking that the additional harness will be needed.
I was thinking a trip to the salvage yard might be in order as soon as it warms up.

#20 ·
Well if finally warmed up, and had enough time to tinker with this.
I got the door panel off, and after peeling back the white insulation I found the harness from the mirror. Yep only the 3 wire connector from the mirror and only a 3 wire connector to the main harness. No extra wiring.
I got interrupted and by the time I got back to it it was late, otherwise I would have pulled back the wrap on the harnnes and seen if there was connections for the other harness. Another time.

#21 ·
Please keep working on this! I am very, very interested!

#24 ·
Popping out the glass shouldn't be too hard. Wiring, well that's definitly not my speciality, so I'll defer to someone that does.
Did some research this week. Though I found the killer deal on heated mirrors new for $65 apiece. Alas it wasn't meant to be. These were non heated (typo on the description), so the cheapest I have found for the mirrors is about $135 apiece plus shipping. Will be checking on the harness and wiring this weekend, hopefully it'll just be a plug and play.(whishful thinknig I'm sure)

#25 ·
Spoke w/my buddy at a Nissan dealership and got some part# from the Pathfinder LE. The B/10 is for the plug/cavity of the wiring, so he looked up the part# for the entire door on an LE and the mirror housing unit. I'm thinking of just doing one side to see and if it works out, I'll do the other side. I also placed an order for the Pathfinder service manual to make sure and cross reference the information. I know it's anal, but I just want to make sure it's done right and to factory spec, my truck is still under warranty and I don't want to mess it up in any way.

I got the passenger side part#'s
Nissan Pathfinder LE
Door Harnless (RH) - 24124EA004
Heated mirror housing assembly - 96301EA29E

It's getting cold again here in the Puget Sound and I hope to have the time to do this before it warms up. I could always head up to mountains to test the unit.

#26 ·
Good job on getting those numbers.
I spent a bit on Saturday talking to the parts guy at my dealer, and really didn't get anywhere.
On that harness, is that the whole door harness or just the pigtail (B10)?
Keep us updated and let us know if this works.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.