Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read and seen the how to threads on the heated mirrors. Since I lost my garage spot to a 67 Mustang Fastback (Darn!) I'm gonna do this.

I am seeing some very reasonable mirrors on ebay. The entire heated mirrors both sides around 80 bucks. Thats is pretty much about what I would pay for just the glass. Has anyone just popped the entire heated mirror on as opposed to replacing the glass? Is the wiring plug and play with the exception to the IPDM? Or do you have to all the same wiring as you would with just replacing the glass?

Thanks.

·
on line
845 Posts
I am pretty sure you will have to run new wiring otherwise how would you control them?

Have them on all the time?

But I know nothing about entire heated mirrors.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
You would have to at least disconnect the wiring harness inside the door in order to install the new mirror assemblies (assuming you have powered mirrors). If the mirror assemblies you're installing are also powered, guess who has to fish an entire new harness through the door anyway? I'm still pretty sure you'd have to run the extra wires. If US-spec Xterras were pre-wired for heated mirrors through the door harness, the how-to would be a lot shorter.

Most heated mirror installs (including my own) do the classic routing to the IPDM, but the mirrors themselves are "dumb" components - as long as they have power, they'll run. If you've installed a fuse box already, you can run the mirrors to a separate switch powered by the fuse box and save yourself some fishing. The benefit of routing to the IPDM is the auto-off linked to the rear glass defrost, plus everything is on a single button. You could also try locating the power wire to the rear window defroster and tap off of that.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I went through this when I converted my X from manual mirrors (yes Nissan made these for a period of time) to power and heat. Below is the write up w/pics: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62782

Yes you can buy full aftermarket mirror assemblies that have the heat built in. However, no US spec Xterra has that connection. You'll have to cut the the pig tail in the new mirrors and the Xterra to splice all the existing power wires, and run new wires following the heated mirror how to.

You could try and buy after market heated glass vs. buying the real nissan glass - but I have heard bad things about aftermarket glass. That it causes a fish-eye effect and is not as clear as OEM glass. Then there's the matter if aftermarket glass will mate up with OEM housing.

The short end of it is to just get real Nissan glass and follow the How To and wire it to the IPDM using the defrost.

Heated Mirror How to: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6527

or: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49623

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats what I was affraid of. I do have power mirrors and thought perhaps it would at least eliminate the running of wires through the door and up to the mirror. Thanks for the insight and replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts