Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealership yesterday. They did my oil change, trans flush and radiator flush...............I noticed the fan running when i left at a stop light, didnt think anything of it. Then i noticed it tonight on my way home. When i pulled into the garage i happened to notivce the fan on again. I looked at the scan gauge and it read "207." Now the only time my engine has gotten that hot was when i was at ECXC last summer in the blistering heat one day sitting on a trail for 4 hours, wheeling hard. I obviously will be calling the dealership in the morning. But come on, this isnt normal after a change/flush is it?? SOmeone phucked something up i think.

·
on line
376 Posts
Either they have air in the system still (very possible), or you need a new thermostat. Mine was getting hot and changing the thermostat fixed it. I did a how-to and Im pretty sure I posted it here too.

·
on line
142 Posts
From what you said, It's gotta be air in the radiator system. Take it back to the dealer and have them re-flush it.

Or do it yourself. Buy a bottle of radiator flush at your local auto parts store. The directions are on the bottle, and very easy to follow.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i just got off of the phone with USMC. He told me there is probably air pockets in the damn radiator, they never purged the air out of it after flushing and refilling it. So take the radiator cap off, turn the car on with the heat full blast. watch the air pop out and then fill it up with fluid. G damn a holes at the dealership. I think i still may just take it to them and make them fix it, and then fill up the tank for making me drive back. Coq smoking bastards.

Thanks for the info though fellas. Anyone think of something else please post it.

·
on line
707 Posts
Me being the extra paranoid person I am, I would also check your oil and trans levels too...I mean if the same incompetent person did all the work you just never know!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Along the same line MC--

--My last corvette LT-1, procedure for FLUSHING the radiator, was to open l/r Port/Stbd brass bleed valves, in the upper most water passages just under the throttle position Senser (TPS)--

--Then when ready to refill the radiator, add water at the cap, UNTILL WATER EXITED FROM both BLEED VALVES, THEN SHUT THEM--

--I know, that was a Corvette V8, but maybe the X has a similar system ???

--With these closed loop, combo fuelinjection/intake plenum/water passage systems, it's pretty easy to trap AIR in the upper passages and screw up the cooling system--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the dudes at the dealership were very impressed with my scan gauge. They told me that no other customers would have known that the temperature was going up like it was. Um, fans on a hole!

They put too much antifreeze in the thing, so they drained it, and put the correct amount back in, problem solved. Im good to go now.

·
on line
735 Posts
Techs just don't get paid enough hours on those kind of jobs..I can see why they would not really drain it all the way and mix it back in carefully. Mine probably should be done in the next year or so. Do we have extended life coolant?

·
on line
14 Posts
What is the normal temperature range for you guys on the Scan Gauge? I run between 198 and 202 and the temperature gauge on the dash never even gets close to half way up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts