Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all,

2012 XTerra. My headlights are cloudy and one has condensation. Rather than try to fix all that, I would prefer to replace with new. But, as anyone who's looked before can attest, the OEM from Nissan headlights are like $300 each, which is way expensive. There are a bunch of other options that are much cheaper, but are any of them as good as OEM? I am looking at durability, though the most important factor is where they put the light compared to OEM.

Any good info out there? I'm seeing a bunch of posts and reviews for like projector upgrades, and I'm not interested in that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
CarID has some suitable OEM-type replacements. Any of them will work and probably get close to or match OEM quality. As always, you get what you pay for.
Forget the projector offering, it sucks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would suggest looking at any local salvage yards for new arrivals if you want stock otherwise the Spec-d Lights are brighter than stock IMO but they are not the highest quality. I like mine however the lighting harness is not plug and play, you will need to splice a couple wires. In the 2 years I've owned mine I have dealt with some issues mainly because when I first installed them I did a poor job but if you can do some minor electrical work you will be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While wiring is like the one automotive thing I'm an ace at, I want to keep them as stock as possible. Honestly I'm over looking in junk yards for stuff as well. Thanks for the reply.

·
on line
241 Posts
CarID has some suitable OEM-type replacements. Any of them will work and probably get close to or match OEM quality. As always, you get what you pay for.
Forget the projector offering, it sucks.
How are the ones from aftermarket ones from CarID, Amazon or eBay? How is the beam pattern? How well do they fit? Are they reasonably durable?

·
Registered
20 Posts
TYC is a good brand based on my experience. I've replaced the headlights on my car and never had any issues.

·
on line
46 Posts
I originally bought a set on ebay that claimed to be OEM. The beam pattern was horrible and one of them starting getting condensation inside in less than a year. I then bought TYC headlight assemblies from Rock Auto. The beam pattern is perfect and the quality seems really good. They were 1/2 the price of OEM.

·
on line
241 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies.

I would have thought that those 7 brands I saw on the CarID website were all made in the same factory and just sold as different brands. That seemed to be the case for the rear tailight assemblies I used to buy for my Chevy truck and Suburban.

·
Registered
641 Posts
i have a 2011 and when i first brought it home from the dealer i covered the headlights in 3m film- keeps the plastic from oxidizing/getting chipped/scratched etc

you could always do a headlight restore and throw the film on for much less money than new headlights. I also recently threw in LED bulbs (first bulb change since new) and it was a huge improvement (see LED bulb thread in the general section)

·
on line
241 Posts
I have considered restoring the headlights. When looking closely at the headlight lens at the right angle in the right light, one can see a "spiderweb" of fine cracks over most of the lenses of both headlight assemblies. The cracks seem to penetrate from the outer surface of the lens to the inner surface and look a lot like decorative "crackle glass panels". The cracks do not appear to be due to impacts since they cover so much of each lens so evenly. I would expect that the cracks would "scatter" the light passing through it. Has anyone had success with dealing with such cracked lenses?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
so I bought the cheap ones on ebay - $145.00 Delivered. They had great reviews - not sure how. I wish I had tried the TYC instead - because the pattern on these really sucks - albeit better than the yellow OEM ones - which I had polished several times but it never lasts. The pattern did improve with proper sylvania bulbs - not the crap that came with it - but they still aren't great.

Can anyone comment on the TYC pattern - although since I already bough these I will likely just suffer for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up with the TYC units. I wasn't able to do a side by side test (too bright, no time to wait until dark), so I can't really comment on exactly how the pattern compares to the stock pattern. However, the beam cut-off is at least as sharp as the stock lights. For a while they were aimed a touch too low and it was very clear where the top of the beam was. So my review so far is 5/5 for quality, and 5/5 for beam pattern (though that data is murkier).

·
on line
241 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I replace both of my headlight assemblies with Tyc ones from Rock Auto. The beam pattern doesn't seem to be perfect but I get way more light now. There was enough light that when I hit a pothole on a really dark road and the front of the X pitched up, the light reflected back from the speed limit sign was uncomfortably bright.

·
on line
241 Posts
Useful info about TYC
Anything for rear lights? Mine somehow showed a 6 inch crack out of the blue
Rock Auto also sells Tyc tail lamp assemblies at a reasonable price. Both of mine are leaking and the reflectors are corroded so I will probably pick up a pair soon.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Rock Auto also sells Tyc tail lamp assemblies at a reasonable price. Both of mine are leaking and the reflectors are corroded so I will probably pick up a pair soon.
The beam pattern isn't as good with the TYC's compared to the OE units but they get the job done. Another option is to order the TYC's, do the oven bake thing to remove the plastic and swap them onto the OE assembly.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
There's a guy on Craigslist selling both headlights for $80. Although he might not be local to you, reach out to him, maybe he can ship it. It's been on CL for quite some time now, maybe he can do $100 for you which is a lot less than what the Stealers are asking. Here's the link.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts