Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy,

I installed factory fogs on my S and readjusted my headlights as per instructions from a previous post. I get great light until.............I turn my Hi beams on.

They really suck.

Any ideas on how to keep the hi's and lows on at the same time?

I didnt know if there was a relay out there yet.

Thanks.

·
on line
298 Posts
Perhaps on the X its ok, but generally, the housing cant handle the heat generated by having both beams on together. Perhaps having the fog lights on with your highs will be better

·
on line
807 Posts
Did you adjust your lights too high rendering the hi-beams useless?
You could do the foglight mod to keep your fogs on with your hi-beams. I had mine like that for a while, and it 'looks' brighter, but its really not. If you read about hi-beams, the experts say that having low-beams or fogs on at the same time actually makes your vision worse because you have a tendency to focus in those areas instead of further down the road, and then when you need to focus down the road your eyes can't adjust.

·
on line
237 Posts
There may also be the legal issue of having them both on. In BC, you can't legally run fog lights with hi-beams, only with low-beams. And you can't legally run driving lights with low-beams, only with high-beams.

·
on line
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In general I just think that the high beams suck.

My wife has an 04 4Runner with the 4 lamp system. The highs and lows are activated on hi beam and the fogs turn off. It's probably one of the better lighting systems I have seen.

Maybe I need some HID fogs and the Fog mod.

Right now I am running Hella Optilux 9007's with Kydo H9's in the fogs. I just used a dremel to grind out the plastic lips on the inside of the bulb socket.

Maybe I can just invest in a Bull Bar and add some lights to that.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wow, how dark are these roads?

I honestly can't remember the last time i turned on the high beams, except to signal to someone.

·
on line
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ever been to Union Dale, PA?

I think the roads there are pretty dark . Windy hill crested dark roads with no street lights and plenty of wildlife running around.

I say go big or go home.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Never been to Union Dale, but been all through the Allegheny National forest at night and never had a problem.

Maybe it's my age, I am still rather young and although I have really crappy eye sight, my night vision is pretty good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts