Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read several posts, I know it’s been asked before, but most other posts seem to have obvious symptoms.
2006 Xterra SE 308,000+ km.

The oil cooler gasket was changed recently (installed rather, went to replace it and there wasn’t even one there). Engine oil was in the coolant system. Coolant flushed and cleaned.

Still loosing oil. It’s not in the coolant, no leaks. No other symptoms of head gasket failure. It runs fine. Engine light is on, but that comes and goes (it doesn’t like rain or dusty roads lol). Temp is good. Idles good.

Can the head gasket be shot without any other symptoms besides loosing oil? And where is the oil even going?

Topped oil up 300 km ago, 90 of which were pulling a tent trailer, and it’s sitting at the low mark again.
Could the oil loss be anything else besides the head gasket?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket to me. Chocolate milk in the oil is the usual indicator. Do a compression test of all cylinders to verify. If you have good psi's but two consecutive cylinders have low psi's, that's your problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a head gasket to me. Chocolate milk in the oil is the usual indicator. Do a compression test of all cylinders to verify. If you have good psi's but two consecutive cylinders have low psi's, that's your problem...
I can do a compression test this weekend. My oil is normal, not milky at all. It was changed when the coolant was flushed recently and it’s still golden.

Are there any specs on what the pressure should be at?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Oil in the coolant is not usually a head gasket. If there is a head gasket blown you usually end up with coolant in the oil - as mentioned white and milky oil. If its not, and it runs fine, and your not loosing coolant, I would say its really not likely head gasket.

How much oil is it using / 1000 miles , km or whatever. Does it smoke at all on cold start?

The most common oil leak on these is the valve cover gaskets - and it often weeps slowly on the exhaust manifolds and burns off so you don't notice it until there is enough to smoke.

Not sure what to tell you about the oil cooler o-ring. I have no idea how you could not have one and not notice. If there bad at all they leak oil pretty good - easy to see underneath?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil in the coolant is not usually a head gasket. If there is a head gasket blown you usually end up with coolant in the oil - as mentioned white and milky oil. If its not, and it runs fine, and your not loosing coolant, I would say its really not likely head gasket.

How much oil is it using / 1000 miles , km or whatever. Does it smoke at all on cold start?

The most common oil leak on these is the valve cover gaskets - and it often weeps slowly on the exhaust manifolds and burns off so you don't notice it until there is enough to smoke.

Not sure what to tell you about the oil cooler o-ring. I have no idea how you could not have one and not notice. If there bad at all they leak oil pretty good - easy to see underneath?
No smoke.
Oil was in the coolant due to a missing oil cooler gasket, but that’s been resolved by installing a gasket.
I’m still loosing oil and it’s not in the coolant.

After driving 300 km it needs 1 qt.
This was the coolant, but again, that’s been resolved and coolant is now clear.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Thats really weird. I have never seen anything like that. If its not in the coolant now, and its not blowing smoke, its going somewhere - thats a lot of oil - 1 quart in 180 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats really weird. I have never seen anything like that. If its not in the coolant now, and its not blowing smoke, its going somewhere - thats a lot of oil - 1 quart in 180 miles.
Yup, hence my inquiry. I just have no idea where it’s going. It’s… vaporizing 😂

I’ll do a compression test this weekend, but it’s not highest on my list based on having no symptoms.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have unexplained oil loss too but mine is more like a quart over 3000 mi. I figure it's probably slipping past the piston rings but not enough to smoke. Just a wild guess with no evidence tho.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Not all failed head gaskets visibly smoke. I had an old 1990 Dodge Daytona back in the 90's that went through 2 head gasket failures, one was so bad it warped and cracked the head, and neither time was it smoking. It's very likely that it is smoking, but you just can't see it, if that makes sense. But if you were burning oil, you should be able to smell that pretty easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts