Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An fj guy did this. Its been a little while and so far he says they are holding up great. Not a bad idea..........................If its completely retarded in some of your eyes, thats great, it wasnt my idea. BUT, I dont think its terrible either. Better than the stock skids id think. And way cheaper than shrockworks. So for the inbetween wheelers who dont want to blow their wad, but want better protection, this may not be a bad way to go. The dude has this as his ride....

"TRD, RC 6 in. lift, Dick Cepek Mud Country 35x12.5x17 Cruiser Alloy rims, Spidertrax 1.25 spacer,Body mount chop,Lucrum mount,Warn m8000,HDPE Ricks slick skids, High lift, Big Bill CB w/Bandi mount, Rock lights "

"Started another mod today. polyethylene skids, I saw this on the forum earlier about the weight reduction, cost effective, and still having the integrety to do the job at hand, (keeping the belly protected). so I bought a full sheet for $140.00. Wanted black but was twice the money. stuck with white, I started with a full sheet of cardboard, cut and cut again and bend and try again till I was satisfied. I the traced the template on to the hdpe and cut away. I then started heating the sheet with a propane torch to get the bends I needed... Alot of crawling under the FJ, almost to much I did have a floor jack to help with the holding while I marked the sheet, for drilling and where I wanted it bent. I decided to keep it all one piece from the gas tank to the cross member. Heres a few picts of how the day progressed and skid finally bolted up to the belly. I still need to fabricate a cross member to hold up skid in front of the gas tank . I hope it hold up."

"Heres a few pict I took this weekend, hope you can see the damage, or should say scratches. not bad at all, I am very impressed with this hd polyetheline. I did not think that I had even hit the skids at all but buy the look of all the scratches I did . I did notice that my lower rear shock mount took a few hits, banged and bent up,... Capt."

·
on line
4,593 Posts
The only retarded thing I see is that he probably could have cut 2 sets of skids out of that sheet had he done them as separate components.

But, yeah, that stuff (and UHMW) is really slick and slides great over smooth surfaces.

Rough rocks will likely take their toll, but for $140, eh, why not?

I might be concerned in an area where there isn't enough support to prevent the HDPE from flexing up into the area being protected.

There's enough left over to bolt to the rocker panels! :D

·
on line
429 Posts
One of the four wheel drive mags did this a couple years ago on a Lexus. There was only a brief mention in the article, but they said it worked well.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
I saw a picture somewhere of an RX330 at Rausch. Forget where it was, though. And I am sure it was on a green trail.

The Skids on my 4-wheeler ('02 Artic Cat 400i) are made of HDPE. IT holds up pretty well, though it does flex quite a bit. I would be nervous to have it protect our gas tanks, but other than that, it's definately a cheap alternative to steel.

·
on line
152 Posts
i wonder how its going to hold up to the exhaust temperatures being that close. I found on one website that there HDPE can withstand continual temperature of 230 F.

That is close to exhaust temperatures i would think.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
Polyehthylene

:clown: -Checkthisout--

http://www.bmackay.com.au/dp/toolbox.html -10k

--I guess it's pretty strong and multi-usable, BUT

--Because it's so MALEABLE, as skid plates it will probably put a lot of STRESS on the attachment bolts, much more than SOLID steel !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts