Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice today when I've tried to start the x, it just clicks. Then on the second try I shut off the ign all the way and I it cranks on like normal. I checked the alt voltage while running and it's fine. And just had the batt checked, also fine. Is this the starter going out, or does that sound like a loose ground?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's all good. I'm thinking it's the starter but tomorrow I'll get under it to check for loose connections.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
248 Posts
Could be dead spots on the solenoid, it happened to my jeep awhile back. not a particularly expensive place to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was thinking of giving a call to the alternator guy I use. I think he repairs starters too. When my sentras alt bearings were shot out came out to $30 and about 10 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing at the back of the starter seemed loose or damaged. But the little fuse box(don't know what it's called) that sits on top of the pos terminal was a bit loose. Hopefully that was it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured this out yesterday when I started getting a completely dead truck. I guess the post/bolt that sticks up from the terminal broke loose. You could just lift the whole set up of power wires and fuses right off the terminal. The terminal staying on the batt post of course. So I used a couple of zip ties looped over the hold down to keep some tension on it. Went to Wally World and picked up a new terminal and swapped it out in the parking lot. The post was bigger than factory but luckily all the power connections fit over snugly. Just had to use a different lock washer and bolt. Never throw away your left over nuts and bolts!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a problem with this all winter here in ohio and being that it was -30 some days i figured it was due to the cold until my brand new red top wouldn't start. Turns out my terminal wires were bad and replaced the OEM ones and it started right up. I could charge me battery to 100% go into a store come out and X wouldn't turn over. Pretty frustrating in the cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts