Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 nissan xterra 4wd v6. Has anyone had a problem with it turning over strong with out starting? Then wait a little bit and try again and it starts? Mine has been doing latly more frequently. Anyone have a idea about what's causing this?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I haven't had a problem with this on the Xterra, but the wife's '06 Sentra does that. I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump (even though the POS only has 60k on it and it was already replaced once under warranty). Especially, if you try to restart it right after its been warmed up. The hotter the exterior temp, the more common it is.

I'm mentioning it, even though its a different Nissan, because fuel system issues are likely the culprit for the symptom you described. I wouldn't just go replace your fuel pump without further troubleshooting though...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'll state the obvious, hope it doesn't offend: To start, the motor needs fuel, air and spark. If your plugs are clean & gapped correctly and your air filter is clean, then your next step is to check for good fuel supply.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You were right the first time IPDM (internal power distribution module). This item is not cheap but it is really easy to replace. I'm not sure if that is your problem. I agree with other posters that trouble shotting it is the best option and it sounds like fuel supply.

·
on line
2,047 Posts
Search for ipdm relay on the how to section.....if you dont notice the problem gone wth the relay swap with fog.light relay...chances are it will be the cam sensor
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, has happened to me twice in about 3 weeks time. Does exactly what you described. My first thought was fuel pump as well.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Also, do you have a red "key" icon lit up on the dash while cranking the engine? That is the anti-theft preventing the engine from starting. Somewhere around '10 they changed the logic behind it. Early models would spin the starter and not start, after '10 it just would not spin the starter at all. Probably to keep people from burning up starters when the security is tripped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you end up fixing it? and i cant find the ipdm one that tells me how to fix it
I haven't, I watched the video showing the bad ipdm start up - that's definitely not the problem. Everything is normal, no weird lights, no sputtering, just keeps cranking and wont start. Turn off the key, wait a couple seconds, try again sometimes that may work if not repeat and it'll start. I'm leaning heavily toward it being a fuel pump issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't, I watched the video showing the bad ipdm start up - that's definitely not the problem. Everything is normal, no weird lights, no sputtering, just keeps cranking and wont start. Turn off the key, wait a couple seconds, try again sometimes that may work if not repeat and it'll start. I'm leaning heavily toward it being a fuel pump issue.

Hey im having this issue now did you resolve it?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check battery terminals as they are crap from the factory and most replace them. I suggest this style:
Back to drawing board. I didn't have a chance to check my ipdm yet but I did the relay swap and no start still. I sprayed starting fluid in the intake north of the maf and it started rright up and stayed running. Drove it a few miles and parked it. Shut it off and started it right back up. Next morning started up but had to prime the pump twice. Same thing when I went to leave work in the evening. Shut it off when I got home. Did some stuff around the house left to go to car washand it started fine. Parked it til this morning went to start for work today and it just cranked. I'm really starting to think my fuel pump is too weak to start the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Sounds like a bad check valve in the fuel pump. Letting fuel drain back into the tank out of the lines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hadn't had the issue in quite some time. The other day it happened twice. I remember before I bought it I called a Nissan Dealer and they told me that I did have an open recall on the vehicle. I took it in the other day and had the ECM relay replaced.(http://www.nissanassist.com/web/ECMRelay/index.php?menu=40)
Haven't had any issues yet. The Service Writer at the dealer said this sounds like what could be causing my starting issues. We'll see, hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts