Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. There are so many bad posts all over the internet saying that the Xterra can haul 5,000 pounds. People seem to have a lot of trouble with haul vs tow.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, people seem to confuse tow (pulling) and haul (stuff inside) a lot.

Tow capacity is 5,000 lbs but hauling is much lower, which is why the X bottoms out when you have 3 - 4 passengers.
You might want to have your springs checked... :icon_smile:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
the leaf packs su*k so that soccer moms have a smoother ride. Like it or not most people use the X primarily on pavement and want more of a carlike ride.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speaking of weak leaf packs....

Mine are almost flat and there's about a half inch between the bottom leaf and the overload spring. There is a Daystar extended shackle on their with stock non-OR springs. Keeping in mind that I'm broke like most of us, how screwed is my rear suspension right now? Are Xterra leaf packs naturally flat or do I need new packs? And if I do, do I just need packs or do I need more?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Given the age of your X you're probably in need of new packs (by the way, leaf packs are the same across all Xterras). Best way to tell is to park on a level surface and see how high the rear is - should be up to half an inch higher from ground to fender than the front. Anything less than level and you're sagging.

If you want to stay on the cheap, you could try an AAL, then swap them to new OEM leaf packs later.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Given the age of your X you're probably in need of new packs (by the way, leaf packs are the same across all Xterras). Best way to tell is to park on a level surface and see how high the rear is - should be up to half an inch higher from ground to fender than the front. Anything less than level and you're sagging.

If you want to stay on the cheap, you could try an AAL, then swap them to new OEM leaf packs later.
Will that measurement work with the Daystar spacers/shackle setup? If I AAL, how will that impact my shocks (right now they are stock non-OR so I'm worried I might over-extend them)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Back to the hauling....
I just ran a 400mi off road trip with 4 grade-A knuckleheads.

Knuckleheads- 200lbs per. = 800lbs
2 gigantic coolers full and strapped to the roof = 200lbs per = 400lbs
full trunk assorted camping gear. another easy 300lbs
dog=30lbs

granted my x is lifted and has AAL's but it drove great on and off road. not even close to bottoming out with 1500+ pounds in or on it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts