Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I tried to fix the rattle in my rear hatch latch by following these instructions. But I found that they did not work because the torx screws are of the flat head counter sunk variety and the latch would simply center on them when tightened. I tried to move it a couple of times with no success, so I decided to look at the other end of the latching mechanism and what did I see, but the solution right in front of me.

To fix the rattle simply loosen the three hex bolts shown above with a wrench or socket (I used my utility drawer crescent wrench), then push the black latching mechanism away from the latch opening (upwards in this photo, and if the hatch fully open), hold the latch mechanism in the up position and tighten the bolts. Since the bolts are flat there is not self centering problem so the latch will stay in place when you tighten the bolts.

I've listened for any rattles for the last two days and haven't heard any, so in terms of longevity I know that this fix lasts at least 2 days.

Update 4/5/2016: Two years in and the rattle has not returned

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had to adjust my latch this way after having the rear door replaced (i was rear ended) you can also adjust the latch side to side slightly if you have a problem with the latch not wanting to fully engage. good post

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Need to do this and see if this fixes all my squeaks and rattles coming from the back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was getting ready to pull the panel off of the back door to track down my rattle. My hatch got dinged while I was at work and was replaced about a year ago. I've been chasing the rattle even since. I was sure that it was inside the door but never could get a bead on it. 30 seconds and 10mm socket and the rattle is gone. Thanks!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Did this yesterday and worked like a charm. Was skeptical because it didn't really move that much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Old post warning......Big thanks to whoever figured this out...couple minute fix and no more rattle. I may remove the bolts and reinstall them with a little loc-tite.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I tried both of these fixes a couple of times and still couldn't kill the rattle. Finally I tried flipping the loop (with the Torx screws) around 180 degrees.

Presto no rattle!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This past weekend I developed a Hella-Obnoxious rattle from my rear hatch.
Luckily my wife was with me which allowed me to ride in the rear of the X and listen to where the sound originated.

To my surprise, the noise appeared to come from somewhere near the 3rd brake light at the top of the hatch whenever the X was moving over 40mph.

First, I cleaned out what debris I saw around the weather seal and still the noise remained.
Secondly, I checked my struts for any sign they may be associated with this rattle.
Third, I took my lithium grease and ,lubricated my hinges and connection points for my struts.

I was wondering if my rattle was coming from my roof rack but once I stood on my tow hitch I recognized my problem.
There was a 3" stick which was stuck between my rear seal and the top of the roof of the X.
At apx 40mph there was enough airflow to cause the stick to vibrate and cause the obnoxious noise which I was hearing.

A pluck of this stick and the X was once again normal.

I couldn't see the stick as it would move away when I lifted the hatch, but would settle back in place when it was closed.

Check for this issue should you have a similar problem in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You guys are amazing! I can not believe the fix was so easy! I have been wondering what was broken in the rear hatch for 2 years....

I wonder what else I can easily fix. Late night forum cruising sure pays off!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Worked like a charm. I had previously tried to do just the latch on the bottom, but like was mentioned, the self-centering torx bolts don't really allow much adjustment. Like others, I had had worsening rattle problems from the rear hatch area since the liftgate was replaced last summer after being rear-ended. It is still slightly off center, and I tried aligning it better at the top, but it didn't do much for the rattle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I implemented this fix, it worked for a couple months, then the rattle came back. My next step was replacing the rubber bump stops, there are 4 on the rear hatch, and no more rattle! The old bump stops must have dried out and shrunk a bit, they were about an 1/8 of an inch shorter than the new ones. Total cost was $24.00! No Mo Rattle!!!

Part numbers for the bumpers...

90878EA000, Qty (2) Upper Set
90878EA500, Qty (2) Lower Set

·
Registered
70 Posts
This past weekend I developed a Hella-Obnoxious rattle from my rear hatch.
Luckily my wife was with me which allowed me to ride in the rear of the X and listen to where the sound originated.

To my surprise, the noise appeared to come from somewhere near the 3rd brake light at the top of the hatch whenever the X was moving over 40mph.

First, I cleaned out what debris I saw around the weather seal and still the noise remained.
Secondly, I checked my struts for any sign they may be associated with this rattle.
Third, I took my lithium grease and ,lubricated my hinges and connection points for my struts.

I was wondering if my rattle was coming from my roof rack but once I stood on my tow hitch I recognized my problem.
There was a 3" stick which was stuck between my rear seal and the top of the roof of the X.
At apx 40mph there was enough airflow to cause the stick to vibrate and cause the obnoxious noise which I was hearing.

A pluck of this stick and the X was once again normal.

I couldn't see the stick as it would move away when I lifted the hatch, but would settle back in place when it was closed.

Check for this issue should you have a similar problem in the future.
Unrelated, but I once opened my hatch to grab some hiking stuff out before going for a hike with my lady and found a decent sized toad in there. Alive and well, just hanging out. I have no idea how or when he got in there.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Unrelated, but I once opened my hatch to grab some hiking stuff out before going for a hike with my lady and found a decent sized toad in there. Alive and well, just hanging out. I have no idea how or when he got in there.
Road toad, it happens.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't believe this worked, I just did mine last night and it only moved a millimeter but the rattle was gone when I went to work this morning. Also put blue Loctite on the bolts for good measure!

For anyone else chasing rattles I also found the jack under the backseats was able to move side to side, foam solved that.

·
on line
240 Posts
This post saved my sanity. Thank you!

It barely moves when adjusting, but it’s enough to fix the rattle trap. I went ahead and ordered new rubber bumpers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts