Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light just came on the other day, for the first time. It was a wierd feeling. I took it in and they said that the fuel sending unit is bad. Its the part of the fuel pump that tells you how much gasoline you have. And they want $350 to fix it. ouch! Just wondering if anyone has had this problem?

·
on line
1,340 Posts
You can get the fuel sending unit by itself.

·
on line
623 Posts
what's the name of the part? can you buy the part aftermarket?

i typically buy my parts online (OEM parts) and then have the dealer charge me only labor to install. most dealers are okay with this, however, they will not warranty the part..only the labor.
________
LoveMeDeep live

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Seems a lot of people on this forum has had this issue. At what point does it become a recall or service bulletin?
Had the same issue but it was covered under warrenty.

·
on line
443 Posts
I am taking mine in for that this week actually. I finally got the extended warranty transfered over to me...stupid check engine light.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I havent noticed this problem yet....its good that the check engine light goes on to let you know that the fuel sending unit is bad before you run out of gas

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, i have an extended warrantee. Finally that $60 extra a month payment is being used. Im having it done this week. Im sure glad my check engine light came on before i got stranded tho. It still sucks tho because i had to pay them like $40 just to tell me what was wrong. Does anyone know where I can get a computer code reader? I had one for my chevy and it saved me a lot of trips to the dealership, and $$$$.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I bought my own code reader a couple of years ago. Works great. Most of the time it's something that I just pull the codes and reset the check engine light.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
x-mann said:
Does anyone know where I can get a computer code reader? I had one for my chevy and it saved me a lot of trips to the dealership, and $$$$.
Get yourself a ScanGauge II. It reads codes, gauges mileage, reads water temperature and so much more! I love mine.

http://www.scangauge.com/

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey dan where did you get your code reader? Auto zone?

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool, thanks for the help, im thinking i might buy one. does autozone do the code reading for free?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts