Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like a factory defect to me but the tire warehouse says it not.
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this with their stock tires.


 

·
on line
Joined
·
142 Posts
WOW

It looks like you ran over something, but I'm sure you would have remembered THAT. It's all the way down to the belts!

Is the tread lifting up or pulling apart?

Z.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup, it was bubbled and pulling up. dont remember running over ANYTHING.
and your right I think I would have remembered something like this.

Tire place said if it was a factory defect that it would have shredded, and that since I had more wear on the middle of the tire it shows that I had my tires overinflated and so that would void the warranty anyway.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
what tire store? i always get my tires done at NTB and get the road hazard warrenty, they will replace it if any damage from the road occurs, regardless if the tires are over inflated (or atleast that's been my experience).
 

·
on line
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
willgr1 said:
what tire store? i always get my tires done at NTB and get the road hazard warrenty, they will replace it if any damage from the road occurs, regardless if the tires are over inflated (or atleast that's been my experience).
the tire warehouse
 

·
on line
Joined
·
14,613 Posts
I'm not a physics major...(but I play one on TV)

Seriously, I have worked around aircraft tires for 20+ years. And it got me to thinking if the tire was overinflated and had this pressure causing the tire to wear in the center. Would a sharp road hazard cause it to lacerate? I have seen cuts to tires under 350 psi and just the littlest thing causes them to open up like a swollen pumpkin. A large cotter pin,rock or debris on the runway, or a piece of small metal or a screw or fastener left on the runway. All can cause the same type of damage that you have experienced. Just my .02
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
Yea you ran over something and as sharp as it was, you'd a never felt that. I also agree they were run overinflated, Air up your tires about 5 PSI over the spec, before you stop for the day, then air them down to spec beginning of next day, that will keep the stupid tire sensors from going off and be right on as far as PSI. Every time we have a major temp change, it has to be done again. Mostly when it gets colder. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
usmc xterra said:
Yea you ran over something and as sharp as it was, you'd a never felt that. I also agree they were run overinflated, Air up your tires about 5 PSI over the spec, before you stop for the day, then air them down to spec beginning of next day, that will keep the stupid tire sensors from going off and be right on as far as PSI. Every time we have a major temp change, it has to be done again. Mostly when it gets colder. MC
I had them inflated to 40 PSI, I know that is the max, but doesnt seem that it is too excessive.

I also fixed the problem for the future, had my new tires (Hercules Terra Track AT) filled to the proper PSI with nitrogen, never changes pressure with tempature, supposed to get better mpg, and wear even, plus I never have to hear that TPM alarm again. I can also air up or down if needed and for the life of my tires the place that did it will adjust them again for free. definately worth the 27 bucks.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
I agree that N2 is better than any other gas in a tire, but damn, $27? That seems a bit steep for a bit of N2.

Go to a welding shop and see how much a 3000spi bulk tank of N2 costs? You can fill quite a few tires. ;)

As for over inflated. 40psi might not seem high, but because of the center wear, I would say they were way over inflated. Are all the tires worn like that?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
240 Posts
I keep my tires at the recommended 35 psi and they all show wear in the middle just like the one pictured. I believe its Nissan's way of getting that little bit more gas mileage out of the X. I'm sure all the manufacturer's are playing that game. I notice all the new vehicles run really high air pressures like that. My 94 Z28 only calls for 28 psi on the door tag.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
muzikman said:
I agree that N2 is better than any other gas in a tire, but damn, $27? That seems a bit steep for a bit of N2.

Go to a welding shop and see how much a 3000spi bulk tank of N2 costs? You can fill quite a few tires. ;)

As for over inflated. 40psi might not seem high, but because of the center wear, I would say they were way over inflated. Are all the tires worn like that?
all were slightly more worn in the middle, and as for the nitrogen in the tires,
it was $27 for all 5 tires and free adjustment for the life of the tires, so it really doesn't seem steep to me. did you think I meant 27 per tire?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
No, even $27 for all 5 is really high for N2. But to be honest, that seems to be the average price. My point being, N2 is very cheap and for garages to be charging that kind of money is highway robbery.

I also deflate my tires way too often to make it worth while. :)

Just cuious, did they fill the tires from the beginning with N2, or were they partly filled with normal compressed air?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, they filled them up from the beginning with nitrogen. they told me they need to be inflated with at least 99% Nitrogen.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
Yeah, seeing as the air around you is already over 78% N2, you need to make sure it's faily pure to gain any advantage.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top