Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
I didn't but the first post, however, our CV's are actually pretty high-angle units. Unless you are OVER 3" without a titan swap or a dropbracket lift, I don't think you have much to worry about, and that is pretty much impossible due to the coil-bucket contact issue.
The main concern I would have is if the ribs on the boots are rubbing togeather, they will eventually wear through, letting the grease fly all over the underside of your truck, and ruining your CV joint pretty quick.
I have 2.5" lift in the front, and the ribs on my boots have plenty of clearance.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Found this on the FJ forum, lurking over there to help my FJ buddy find a lift setup,
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/6526-lift-bad-cv-joints.html

Has this issue of the CV joint been addressed on here for the X's?
Yes it has been addressed. When Nissan redesigned the X's in 05, they took our hubs away. :angryfire:

The only solution that I'm aware of is a drop differential lift like the one from Calmini or doing a Titan suspension swap. If memory serves me correctly, I've not heard of anybody having issues with the CV's as of yet.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
No issues at all. Unlike Toyota trucks, we jsut dont have cv problems. On some of the early Titans, the inner shaft snap rings would fail and the stub shaft would pop ot of the diff, but not on these. As for boots wearing, still not a problem. Ive have 3+ inches of lift on my X for over 35k miles and no prolems at all.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There have been a number of people though that have snapped the diff side of the half shaft. I think that is more of what 8th man is referring to.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Yeah, I didn't think we had many CV issues, or at least I don't recall reading about it on here. I would imagine that only the guys like SeXterra or those running the 5"+ of lift (minus the SAS guys) would be the ones running into this issue, if at all.
They wouldn't since those 5" lifts drop the diff down. The CV's on those lifts are at no more of an angle as the CV's on a 3" lift.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I seem to recall a couple guys here with the dif drop lift. One uses the Calmini and another uses another manufacturer. Anybody got a link to some photos of those trucks?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sexterra has the Calmini 5" which drops the diff. There are a few others running the Calmini kit, but I'll be honest, am not sure who.

D-rap is running the SLR lift, which I assumes drops the diff as well, but I also know he is not running stock shafts.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The only new shafts would be custom shafts, as far as I know, there are no aftermarket drop-in shafts.

As for lowering the diff, it's not something you need to do unless you are getting into the 5" range. Right now those lifts would be Calmini and ...umm...my brain went dead...who makes the 6" lift?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That's it...FabTech...I was sitting there with the post almost finish and I just had a brain fart. I kept wanting to say Full Traction, but that is the other half of Calmini.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts