Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to buy new tpms sensor, was wondering if any of you guys have replaced using a eBay or amazon style 1/4 price then Nissan

If you have and happen to remember were you got it let me know so I can buy the right one, lots come up when you search for 2012 xterra but I want to be sure before ordering

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
601 Posts
I got my tpms from discount tire when I changed tires, been on the X for nearly 2 years with no issues, I think they may be a better design as they look like standard valve stems, so nobody can tell they are tpms and may tamper with them. the stock ones have a little nut on the outside that somebody could potentially unscrew causing the sensor to fall inside the tire. I only changed them because at the time I was going to keep my stock wheels and tires and be able to use both sets with tpms installed on both sets, I ended up parting out my stockers.

·
on line
951 Posts
The Nissan dealer I work for now has aftermarket tpms that they sell for about a 1/4 of the price. We've been installing them for about 6 months now and have not had any problems with them at all. I can't tell you what brand name they are but I can find out.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just bought one of these yesterday for my spare. I can report back next weekend on how it works if you are still looking for an answer, but it sounds like aftermarket is fine from the post above.
Please do so!!!

I've bought one brand that didn't work in my old x so I don't wanna make same mistake. Can't remember what brand it was

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
57 Posts
^ I have brand new TMPS sensors from nissan .. its blue . not sure what part number it is . if your interested I can double check on part number .. i have total 4

·
on line
1,656 Posts
i just bought one of these yesterday for my spare. I can report back next weekend on how it works if you are still looking for an answer, but it sounds like aftermarket is fine from the post above.
I thought the X is only able to read 4 at a time? Did you have them duplicate the code on one for the spare?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Update on my progress. I got the spare tpms installed. Rotated the spare in. My tpms light came on this morning. This was expected. I was planning to do the tpms relearn procedure. But this afternoon the light was no longer on. I will report back on whether this holds or not. But it the system may have picked up the new sensor on its own while flashing when the vehicle is first turned on. Seems a bit out there though since I havnt read about this happening anywhere.

285 Posts
I was going to get a single VDO sensor from Advance Auto and use a 40% coupon to make it around the Amazon price after tax, but the g/f said she doesn't notice the yellow warning light anymore, so just leave the regular valve stem in it's place.

I am still curious if the VDO units function well.

·
on line
1,173 Posts
I'm curious why you didn't have to do any relearning procedure too.
That's why they are called Redi-Sensors!!! I had them swapped at Discount Tire when I bought my new set of Nitto Trail Grapplers. They didn't have to do anything. I asked. The light was off when we left. So, I was happy. :)

However, the light did come back on about a week ago. I did the "paperclip reset" with varying tires pressures and it went back off again. I'm beginning to think this "very common problem" may be more a BCM issue than a TPMS sensor problem. Perhaps the module is not picking up the 315MHz frequency accurately. I forgot to grab my old sensors. I wanted to break them apart to see if the batteries still had any voltage left in them. Then again, they were over 7 years old. So, I'm guess not...

ADMAN, is this the model you bought?
Yep, that's the ones. They were roughly $30.00 each - about $12.00 each cheaper than Discount Tire sells them for. So, I just brought them in with me when my new tires arrived.

Mmmmm....chunky!!! :)

·
on line
1,173 Posts
I just went to Amazon to verify the link above. Yep, those are the exact ones I got. I was reading this guys post and found it to be interesting. Not happening in my case. So, not sure what's up with his vehicle. Someone else told me that were having problems with their OEM sensors and the dealership told them it was because they were running 33s with a body lift - which made the sensor too far away from the receiver. Huh???

Not a happy camper with this product
By Steven R Whitmore on January 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
I purchased 4 sensors and had them installed. I was told by the place I do my tire business with (discount tire) that I had a 30% chance that I would need to have these programmed by a dealership. When they were installed, discount tire said the sensors took and the TPMS light was off. It was for about 20 min, then it came on. No biggie I thought since they said there was a good chance this would need dealership help. I took my car to a Nissan dealership and they told me that they would program it, but that since they are not OEM they see a lot of these causing errors with the tpms system. Total cost from dealership - $54.

Fast forward 1 week, TPMS light comes back on. I took car to a different Nissan dealership. Was told the same exact thing. I gave the go ahead to reprogram sensors. Total cost from dealership - $68.

Fast forward to very next day.... TPMS light back on, and now I am out total cost of $265 (4 sensors and two dealership programs).

So now I am to the point of purchasing 4 OEM sensors for $400. I really wish there was a way to return these sensors for a full refund and get reimbursed for my extra expenses. Yeah, I know, pipe dream.
Take it for what it's worth. Personally, I know I had problems with the old OEM sensors when it was either very cold out (truck parked at ski lodge for the day) or when the truck was ran over 80MPH for an extended period of time - say, like on a closed course by a professional driver. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts