Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run 35" tires on my X, but I know they will rub. I was thinking If I got some spacers to run a different off-set wheel it might work. Any ideas?

·
on line
78 Posts
Per PRG, wheel spacers may actually make taller tires rub. Give him a call, he can explain it to ya.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Unlike every other truck/SUV on the planet, late model Nissans LOOSE tire clearance when adding wheel spacers or wheels with little offset. Here's the reason, the shape of the fender. All late model Nissans are designed with the rear of the front fender nearly vertical. As you push the tire/wheel assembly farther from the balljoints (increase scrub radius) the tire will swing in a much larger arc when turning, and the tire will rub the rear of the inner fender liner where the mud flap attaches because of the larger arc. Basically the tire will swing farther forward and rearward because of the spcers and rub on the fender. Im not savy with any computer drawing programs so you must imagine it.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
TXterra37 said:
If they don't chime in, I would say PM PonyBoy, 8th Man, or BoonDox and ask them about their spacers setup.
We don't use spacers. We run full width 65" axles. I can't speak for Pony or Boon but I use 15x10" Rockcrawler steel rims with 3.75" backspacing.

Barely legal... :book:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It's not so much the height, it's the width.

There is NO way I would be able to get Steve's X inspected in PA and I would get pulled over quite often. They are very picky about tires sticking out. I am right on the boarder with my Jeep and it's got 7" wide flares.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8th Man said:
TXterra37 said:
If they don't chime in, I would say PM PonyBoy, 8th Man, or BoonDox and ask them about their spacers setup.
We don't use spacers. We run full width 65" axles. I can't speak for Pony or Boon but I use 15x10" Rockcrawler steel rims with 3.75" backspacing.

Barely legal... :book:

Thanks to that picture I just fell out of my chair. That's what I'd love to have. I met a guy last night who offered me a Dana30 to do a SAS. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to do the swap.

My inlaws live in Williamsburg Va. How far are you from there? I'd love to see your truck in person.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I can be found at ECXC events at Rausch Creek. Sign up!

I also lurk on trails at Telico, Uwherre, Gore (Big Dogs), Crozet and some backwoods of the Fredericksburg area (legal).

Sometimes, I get looks like the Oscar Mayer Hotdog truck - sometimes from cops...

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Muzikman said:
A D30 wouldn't even be worth it. They are a dine a dozen and unless it was HP, it's a piece of junk.
I'm a big fan of the High Pinion D30. :headbang:

Bundle in a locking carrier, 4340 shafts and u-joints and you've got a very light and strong axle with excellent ground clearance. With the parts I've mentioned, it will easily handle 35" radials or 36" bias tires.

It's the best bang for the buck axle on the market (or junk yard)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
With the power of a 4.0L Jeep engine, it might hold up, but even with alloy shafts, I don't think a D30 would hold up to the power that the X puts out. There is a reason the jeepers swap out even the HP's for D44's.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Muzikman said:
With the power of a 4.0L Jeep engine, it might hold up, but even with alloy shafts, I don't think a D30 would hold up to the power that the X puts out. There is a reason the jeepers swap out even the HP's for D44's.
I agree. The D44 is a much better choice for a 2nd Gen X. This WAS Yukon's 4340 Chrome Moly stub end for my D44. Pank!

The 30 might be a viable option for someone looking to do a SAS on 1st Gen X, Fronty/Hardbody or a WD21. The 4.0L in the 2nd Gen X is a stud and would make mince meat out of a 30 in no time.

EDIT: I sincerely apologize for hijacking this post. Me :rabbit:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts