Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HIT AND BENT THEIR SHOCK MOUNT TABS WHILE WHEELING? I HAVE AND I'M AFRAID OF BREAKING THEM OFF TOTALLY OR BENDING THEM BACK AND FORTH SO MANY TIMES THEY FINALLY BREAK, SO I 'M TRYING TO GET JIM AT SHROCKWORKS TO MAKE A PROTECTOR FOR THEM BUT HE NEEDS A HEAD COUNT OF WHO ELSE WOULD BE INTERESTED BEFORE TAKING IT ON AS A PROJECT. WHO WANTS IN???

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Re: HAS ANYONE HAD A PROBLUM WITH SHOCK MOUNT TABS

2NDX said:
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HIT AND BENT THEIR SHOCK MOUNT TABS WHILE WHEELING? I HAVE AND I'M AFRAID OF BREAKING THEM OFF TOTALLY OR BENDING THEM BACK AND FORTH SO MANY TIMES THEY FINALLY BREAK, SO I 'M TRYING TO GET JIM AT SHROCKWORKS TO MAKE A PROTECTOR FOR THEM BUT HE NEEDS A HEAD COUNT OF WHO ELSE WOULD BE INTERESTED BEFORE TAKING IT ON AS A PROJECT. WHO WANTS IN???

I'll bite on that one.

·
on line
589 Posts
It's an interesting idea, though I haven't jacked mine up yet I also prefer getting armor on before risking getting them jacked up. Is there something out there for a different ride that would be like what could be made? I am trying to visualize this, and at this point failing...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I think it's a good idea. However, I'd have my entire undercarriage shrocked before I protected the mounting tabs. I did some internet searching and couldn't find any existing products to use as a reference.

·
on line
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THERE IS NO OTHER PRODUCTS TO PROTECT THIS AREA MADE THAT I'M AWARE FOR ANY VEHICLE AT THIS TIME WITH THE SAME MOUNTS AS OUR X'S

WE WERE KICKING THE IDEA AROUND ON THE PHONE WHEN I TOLD HIM OF THE PROBLEM I HAD WHEN I BENT MINE AND PULLED IT BACK INTO PLACE AFTER A DAY OF WHEELING..... I WAS JUST WAITING FOR THE (SNAP)

SO WOULD YOU GET A SET IF AVAILABLE I NEED NUMBERS TO GET THIS GOING :geek:

·
on line
641 Posts
I don't need protection for my shock mounts:

:geek:

Seriously, after I finish my mod strike I'll go SOA and move the shock mounts up. They are pretty vulnerable.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
How about a plate that replaces the U bolt mounting plate? It would have recesses to protect the bolts when grinding/sliding that part over rocks. A bit more steel aft would extend protection to the shock mounting area. I've seen a similar product for the jeeps IIRC.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
PaulXyZ said:
How about a plate that replaces the U bolt mounting plate? It would have recesses to protect the bolts when grinding/sliding that part over rocks. A bit more steel aft would extend protection to the shock mounting area. I've seen a similar product for the jeeps IIRC.
You can already get those. They have been around in the Jeep world for years and I think AC sells ones that fit ours (again, you can also get them at just about any Jeep store).

As for the shocks. Although mine don't look as bad as the pic above, mine are really beat up and holding up well. Seeing as the only time you need to bend the tabs back are if you take the shock off, I don't see the problem. Once mine bite the dust, I'll just have a new mount fabbed up with an integrated skid built in.

·
on line
120 Posts
I'd be in for something. Although, apart from gringing them off and welding on some new beefer ones, the only way I see to protect the originals would be to fab some sort of replacement u-bolt plates....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Dude-Man said:
I'd be in for something. Although, apart from gringing them off and welding on some new beefer ones, the only way I see to protect the originals would be to fab some sort of replacement u-bolt plates....
Our shocks don't mount to the u-bolt plates.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
muzikman said:
You can already get those. They have been around in the Jeep world for years and I think AC sells ones that fit ours (again, you can also get them at just about any Jeep store).
I've found them for the first generation but not the next generation models. I suppose I should measure the bolt pattern to see if they're the same.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Mine have been bent a little, but not too much.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I was just under there changing my ride control on my shocks. It seems Nissan doomed us on this one, the hang down ready to catch on something. Same guy must have designed the rear leafs........another doom design. Yea we do need something for this. I bet a lot of the right ones get damaged before the left. MC

·
on line
3,218 Posts
HERE'S the link to AC's product. I ran them on the '01 and they did a good job. I'd prolly get 'em again for the '07 now if they were made right..

·
on line
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MY IDEA WAS TO PROTECT INSTEAD OF REPLACE ..I WOULDN'T WANT MY DAILY DRIVER DOWN WHILE THE NEW TABS WERE BEING ATTACHED
I FIGURED THE ADD ON PROTECTOR DESIGN COULD BE DONE WITH SWINGING A WRENCH ON ONE NUT/BOLT FOR EACH SIDE AND IT WAS A DONE DEAL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts