Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends told me the X was known for air bags deploying while offroading. They said an angle sensor would set it off if you lean beyond a certain point even if you didn't rolling over, and Nissan would not cover it under warranty.
Has anybody on here had that happen, or heard of it happening? Just curious.

Did a quick search, but didn't find anything. And, I know I don't recall reading any posts about it. I wouldn't think it would be any different than the Frontier.

·
on line
1,449 Posts
I have had 4 2G Xterras ranging from 2008-2012 and 1 2008 Frontier since 2009. I have wheeled over 15-20 trails all over the mountains of Colorado from mild to wild over the course of the 3 1/2 years I have owned an Xterra and have never had a single problem with airbag deployment. Just my .02

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They said it was something they heard. They did not have details. They thought it was the side impact air bags. I told them there may have been a sudden impact on the front end or sliders dropping onto a rock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I was out for a scenic drive today and for some reason was thinking about this exact scenario (I had read the thread a while back).

Isn't the airbag system tied into the passenger restraint system? I am thinking that if it is, the bags can never deploy if I am driving around (trails only) without a seat belt.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
There was also a Car and Driver type review of vehicles that have a "Off Road" version(Xterra, Tacoma, Rubicon and so forth) and they had the side curtains deploy while testing. I will try finding that article.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was out for a scenic drive today and for some reason was thinking about this exact scenario (I had read the thread a while back).

Isn't the airbag system tied into the passenger restraint system? I am thinking that if it is, the bags can never deploy if I am driving around (trails only) without a seat belt.
I'm not a fan of driving or riding without my seat belts whether on or off road. Our local group makes seat belts mandatory for all passengers for any rides we hold.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Actually talked about this today. heard of a guy who had all of them go off... apparently just a clip under each seat disables them...

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I'm not a fan of driving or riding without my seat belts whether on or off road. Our local group makes seat belts mandatory for all passengers for any rides we hold.
Lol mandatory Seatbelts. You gonna fly out of your seat or something going 15??

Boardingandbiking had his go off after dropping down a ledge and hiting his front end hard. I can't remember I he got it covered under warranty but none the less it happened. I think a fluke but either way we always disconnect the yellow harness under each front seat, then reconnect it when we are done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
988 Posts
yes kfizz did. you unplug the yellow clip under the pass seat. reset is in the how too section.

i think all his bags went off. was a side jolt. maybe someone from AXE could answer better.
Boarding and biking was the ones who went off but yeah this has been documented on both here and clubfrontier and in all cases it was a pretty minor freak situation where they went off.

This has never been resolved which is why I highly recommend people to get in the habit of pulling the harness as a normal routine when airing down.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Easy to avoid by pulling a fuse. However Toyotas have the RSCA OFF switch that disables the side airbags for offroading. Nissan probably won't add a similar switch since that could admit that they overlooked that on previous models.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol mandatory Seatbelts. You gonna fly out of your seat or something going 15??

Boardingandbiking had his go off after dropping down a ledge and hiting his front end hard. I can't remember I he got it covered under warranty but none the less it happened. I think a fluke but either way we always disconnect the yellow harness under each front seat, then reconnect it when we are done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
We have had people want to stand up and hold on to the roll bar in open top vehicles such as Jeep, old Bronco, Blazer, Scout or Samurai. Club rules are for everybody's safety, whether you are riding or driving.

If you're going 15 and your wheels are pointing at the sky, then yes :)
^^ What ThePlasticOne said.

Unplugging the harness is not a bad idea. Adding a toggle switch at the fuse might be an easy solution. Something similar to this. I use this in my Jeep to deactivate the dome light when the doors are off.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_200.htm
Where is the fuse/relay for the air bags? Then all you would have to do is reset the seat belt warning light, correct?

·
on line
3,217 Posts
yes kfizz did. you unplug the yellow clip under the pass seat. reset is in the how too section.
You want need to be extra careful when doing this! This is one thing that you really don't want people to be messing with because you can be potentially put people's life in jeopordy. If you do not follow the correct procedures from the manufacture then you can cause the air bags to go off just by telling someone to simply unplug or plug in their SRS system. There is a reason that there are so many warnings about working on the SRS system only if you are a trained and certified tech. Also they could hold you accountable to have all of their repairs done to their truck because they say that you are the one that told them to do it and they simply followed your directions. That is a postion that I wouldn't place myself into.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Boardingandbiking had his go off last year following the same route over some ruts that two of us had already taken. It was just dumb luck that the truck was at the right angle and was jolted with the right force to trigger the air bags.

There is an air bag harness under each front seat which some people unplug to turn them off then do the easy reset procedure at the end of the trail.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts