Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Xterra 2wd- 104K miles mostly highway

A few months ago I changed my drive belt. I started noticing a squeak when starting and figured my starter was starting to go. No problems starting and its been a few months and no issues.

I brought it over to my friend's oil change place this morning for its usual servicing and brought up the problem to one of his techs. After a few minutes of poking and prodding he pointed out to me the main pulley has just a touch of wobble to it. It does not look like its easy to get to...

so... what should a decent mechanic charge to change it? Should I let it go for now and just wait for a problem? Or is this something I need to deal with ASAP?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Belt squeak is a very common problem on these. The old "fix" was supposed to be a new belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. However, somewhat recently Nissan released a TSB for the Power Steering pump being out of alignment, causing the squeak. I don't have the procedure right now but someone might. Basically IIRC you loosen the (I think 4) PS pump bolts, and re tighten them in a certain order, which is supposed to seat it into alignment, but I have been too lazy to do it to mine yet so I don't have any experience if it works :)

If you have a wobbly pulley, it's probably worth changing the idler pulley and tensioner assembly(tensioner and pulley) to see if it helps, they aren't that expensive, or hard to change. RockAuto has both for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the other pulleys seem to running true (if that's the correct phrasing...). The harmonic balancer has a visible wobble. The squeak is only at startup...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody have any luck w/ the power steering alignment idea? More specifically, know the correct order?

·
on line
951 Posts
Make sure the bolt is tight on the balancer. If loose it can destroy not only the balancer but also the crankshaft. That would be expensive. If the bolt is tight, the pulley might be warped. Easiest way is to check with a straight edge and a feeler gauge. Good luck, it is an easy part to remove once everything else (radiator, fan, etc.) is out of the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts