Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pro4x
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for almost a year as I started my hunt for an X. Really enjoy this community and am impressed by the amount of support and knowledge being shared amongst all the members.

So, in 2011 I attended the Toronto auto show and sat in a Pro4x. Loved it...but bought a 4 door sedan shortly thereafter that sipped fuel since I was commuting 50 miles to and from work. Now that covid shook up my industry and we all work remote, I no longer need to be too concerned with fuel consumption or practicality...so its Xterra time.

I'm based in Northern Virginia now and there simply arent a tonne of these out there. 2015's are also selling for stupid amounts of money. I searched for over a year and found a 2011 one owner, spent 90% of its life in Cali, Pro4x with 82K on it for $14K. Drove about an hour to scope it out and it looked to be in pretty good shape. Very little rust on the underbody, no SMOD and the timing chain wasn't making any supercharger type noises. I also plugges in an odb2 scanner and found no evidence of codes being cleared.

So far I've only cleaned it up cosmetically and changed/checked fluids. I will say that with regards to plastic restoring, I read through all the forums but settled on Cerakote. The side profile pic shows the after...even after 4 weeks and a couple car washes the Plastic looks new. Had to buff/polish the paint because all those years in Cali left it a wee bit faded.

Initial impressions. Shes thirsty, but a beast offroad. Done a few river crossings (fairly shallow, axle deep), 2 trails in Virigina and played in some deep snow while in Canada. Thoroughly impressed. I'll also say that while these tires will likely not age well, the Kelly Edge AT's they put on at the dealership arent terrible. I'll treat these tires like a red headed step child before replacing them with some 285's. Also impressed by the RF speakers/amp. I'll have to put a new head unit in at some point but will keep the rest.

I've ordered parts for the diff breather, checked for SMOD and read all about the melt mod. I dont think I want to make a rock crawler out of it, but certainly plan on beefing it up for some fun in the future. I see some incredible rigs on this site that make me want to spend my childrens university funds. Let em save up like I did right?

Lack of trails in Northern Viriginia is a thing. But I have some friends who are installing transmission lines and seem to know some closer spots to play around in. Anyone in NOVA wants to join or meet up, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 PRO-4X
34 Posts
Welcome from Rockville!

There are few trails in VA that I go 3-4 times a year with group of xterras. I'll shoot you a msg when they plan for one if you like.
I really like Flag Pole Knob, there are couple of trails that leads to it, nice scenery.

·
Registered
2011 Pro4x
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great!
Original Hankook Dynapro tires on my 2015 were terrible, I didn’t feel safe at 80mph, not enough highway traction at 35psi, what a difference switching to my Goodyears (from previous X), I had to switch within 200!miles!
I had some serious concerns when I showed up and saw these tires too. I took em on a road trip to Canada and they did quite well. Fairly quiet, smooth at all speeds up to 85 mph...didnt go any faster...and handled snow beautifully. Ive done a a few off road stints so far but they've had really good traction throughout. Now, I read they deteriorate quickly so long term tests could be less than favorable. I think Kelly are manufactured by Goodyear now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in Idaho so I deal with alot of the same situations that you might except we have a ton of open space to travel. At 82K your heading for the 90K mark where the timing chain will need to be replaced along with tensioners, pump and thermostat. Although, my 00 went 182k miles before my chain broke...so lesson learned and changed my 06 chain on schedule at 180K miles. Just follow the recommended maintenance from Nissan. Great cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts