Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Duratracs are getting close to the end of their life so I'm searching around for replacement options. Never had any sidewall problems with them, but have read about a few and think I want to go with something with a beefier sidewall. My main concern is that I spend a good bit of time on the interstate and need high speed wet traction. I'm not concerned about road noise, but don't want to deal with hydroplaning at high speeds.

• Have seen good offroad reviews of the Hankook MTs. Sounds like a really capable tire. Read a tire test that had it taking first place against all the high end MTs so performance should be plenty for my needs! Question is - do they handle well on the road at speed? Looks like pretty closely spaced tread blocks so it's sort of a hybrid tire, but not sure. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-1104-massive-mud-tire-shootout-intro/ http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/w...tire-shootout-first-place-hankook-dynapro-mt/
  • The other option that I don't find as much info on is the Cooper ST Maxx. Looks like more of a competitor with the Duratrac - an aggressive AT tire - but with a tougher sidewall. I assume it has better road manners since it's a little less aggressive and has some factory siping. Anybody running these or even seen them up close. Haven't seen them around town to check them out.

Any feedback on either of these tires? Any other recommendations for an aggressive AT or streetable MT?

Have had several sets of AT and aggressive AT tires over the years and they have all been a compromise offroad. Would be great to find something that was tolerable on road while still good off.

Saw that the Coopers are made in the US - big plus.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have the coopers and I love them. Had them on for a cross country road trip from nj to ca and back. Never had any issues with them on road and have performed well off road.

*Edit* I have them in 285/75/16 E Load.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,739 Posts
How long did they last?? I feel like I'm seeing pretty fast wear in my Dakota Definity MT's but maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I have the hankooks. Definitely not a hybrid tire. It's a mud terrain tire to the fullest.
At speed they handle just fine, no problems with them at all. They don't like hard packed snow at all, no MTs do, but they're ready for studs if you needed to go that route.
I'll be buying another set once mine need to be replaced. 15k on them and they look barely worn.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ST MAXX - - Cool - somebody running them on an Xterra! Do they seem to track well - any wandering? Have seen a few assymetrical treads pull to one side or the other - notice anything like that?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
How long did they last?? I feel like I'm seeing pretty fast wear in my Dakota Definity MT's but maybe I'm just paranoid.
If that's directed at me, I had the tires mounted just shy of 28,000 miles and I am currently just over 40,000 but that isnt adjusted for the larger size. Still got a ton of tread left.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the hankooks. Definitely not a hybrid tire. It's a mud terrain tire to the fullest.
At speed they handle just fine, no problems with them at all. They don't like hard packed snow at all, no MTs do, but they're ready for studs if you needed to go that route.
I'll be buying another set once mine need to be replaced. 15k on them and they look barely worn.

Good to know. Was really surprised to see them win that mud tire test - beating out the best tires on the trail - at any cost! I know it's no slouch offroad. (added a link to the tire test to show the tires that it beat)

We don't get much snow around here, but thought about siping them, if they seemed squirrely on wet pavement.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
ST MAXX - - Cool - somebody running them on an Xterra! Do they seem to track well - any wandering? Have seen a few assymetrical treads pull to one side or the other - notice anything like that?
Actually I have a frontier. But no I havent noticed any odd behavior.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A local jeep guy that I've seen around town has the 295/75s. Not sure if they will fit on the X, though. My 285s are already a snug fit.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Hankooks are noisey as **** , they're not very good in the rain and they look like old school V-treads.
I wouldn't pick them as a street tire
Posted via Mobile Device
They're only noisy right after a rotation and they quiet up after a few miles are put on them. No mud tires are exceptional in the rain. I've never had an issue with wet pavement. And personally looks have nothing to do with it, that is if you buy something for performance versus aesthetics. Then again, that only matters if he plans to use them as an off-road tire which he already said he would.

Dozer, how long have you had your Hankooks?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently got the Hankook MTs in 285/75 and really like them. I have been very surprised by the amount of grip they have in all conditions that I have tried - dry pavement, wet pavement, heavy rain, dirt roads, and mud. I was expecting them to be have much less grip and howl like crazy (like the KM2s I tried on an F150 a while back) but that has not been my experience at all. They make a little noise but I don't find it bad at all (yet). They ride very well, too, which has been a nice bonus. The steering response is definitely a little mushy now compared to my prior Hankook ATPs, but I think that is a common issue with MTs, and I have gotten used to it.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ive got the Hankook MTs 295/75 R16 and they are barely louder than the rugged trails and I haven't gotten them to slip once. Well they did slip in mud a little :D.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
They're only noisy right after a rotation and they quiet up after a few miles are put on them. No mud tires are exceptional in the rain. I've never had an issue with wet pavement. And personally looks have nothing to do with it, that is if you buy something for performance versus aesthetics. Then again, that only matters if he plans to use them as an off-road tire which he already said he would.

Dozer, how long have you had your Hankooks?

Mickey MTZs were exceptional in ANY condition. Ask anyone who has had them.
I have the Hankooks for 3 months and I'm not impressed. Soo much so that I might put the Cooper STTs back on. Had them sold, guy backed out... already ordered the Hankooks , so had them put on. The Hankooks wear a little prematurely on the front and that's going 4k miles between rotations . I'm not saying they're horrible, I'm just saying there's better tires on the market.
All the hype started from that one article that picked them as the winner of the mud tire shootout... Thing about that is... none of these mags are anything more then sponsors puppets.
You pay the most, you WIN.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts