Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I have had some bad luck lately but about 2 weeks ago I was traveling down an expressway at about 65mph when the car in front of me pulled into a left turn lane and started to slow down. As he was well in the turn lane and we were separated by a solid line he suddenly veered back into my lane.... Trouble was there was no room, we were almost side by side. I had to stomp on the brake and while staying in my lane swerve over to the right side of the left lane to avoid hitting him. Almost immediately this top heavy, short wheelbase beast started to buck and bounce as it heaved left and right. This was pretty severe and I was shocked it did not flip over.

Fast forward to last night and I had a chick decide to not look in her side mirror and just come over into my lane as we traveled about 45mph. I had room to swerve left and brake as this b**h cut me off. Again I felt some top heavy heaving left and right but not as bad when I was going faster.

I hate to say this since I love my X so much but this could be a real problem. I consider myself a good driver. My quick reactions saved getting hit but I could see these vehicles flipping over pretty easy if a driver lost it during something like this.

Have any of you seen this side to side heaving too?

Is this just what you get with the tall, short wheel base X?

I have driven full size pick up trucks prior to the X and never felt anything like this before.

I wonder if anyone on the boards that have been in a wreak with the X had a flip over issue?

Anyhow, watch out, some ppl have their heads up their butts and don't pay attention when they drive...

Like Napoleon Dynamite says "Idiots"

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, All stock. I wonder if a change in suspension would be better. I have no idea if that would be good or bad. Don't know much about that stuff.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yup, normal. Does your model have VSC? It will help to keep you right side up during such maneuvers, but can't defy the laws of physics. An upgraded suspension will help as well. I'm running the OME suspension, and although it's lifted slightly, it's stiffer with better dampening characteristic than the worn out stock suspension, and feels planted with less body roll.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Have you removed your Sway Bars at all? If not, I think it is normal for any body on frame SUV.

They are considered high roll over vehicles after all.
This, it aint a car... but there are other ways you can mitigate / reduce body roll.

I've added stiffer shocks and re-inforced the rear with a road master active suspension. Both have reduced body roll. I've also looked into beefing up the sway bars, I have a couple things in the works on that. But, ya it isn't going to be a car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get that it is not a car.... I have had 4x4 trucks for 20 years.

I really would consider stiffer shocks if you all think that would help with being a bit more stable. I really did not like how that heaving felt. Yes I have VSC.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This, it aint a car... but there are other ways you can mitigate / reduce body roll.

I've added stiffer shocks and re-inforced the rear with a road master active suspension. Both have reduced body roll. I've also looked into beefing up the sway bars, I have a couple things in the works on that. But, ya it isn't going to be a car.
^^^THIS

I'm not sure what you're expecting a 4500 lb SUV to do. Given the size and weight of any truck, you should give people around you lots of room so that WHEN they do stupid things, you have plenty of space to wrangle your X.

Just last night, I had a scare when somebody about 6 cars ahead of me slammed on their brakes. Of course, the 4 cars behind him were all tailgating and each of them had to stop harder and harder. I had plenty of room to stop, but had to be on the brakes hard. Stuff was flying off my seats. The X was wobbling back and forth... I was more concerned about people behind me.

The older I get, the more room I give the jackwads driving near me.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
When I first drove my Xterra around stock (bought with 12k miles) I was taken aback at how much sway it had to it doing a simple turn at 15 mph.

I got rims for it which bumped my wheel base out 3/4'' on each side and that was a noticeable improvement, but man, when I had the Old Man Emu suspension lift put in, it was night and day. it drives like a completely new vehicle now

·
on line
3,453 Posts
I had that problem. I upgraded the rears with timbren bumpstops and it's definitely helped out a lot. I didn't sway as much as I did with them on and I have the front spring helpers waiting to be installed and that'll help a lot but it ain't a car though.

·
on line
1,446 Posts
Surprised that no one has mentioned the tires yet. The OEM sneakers have a lot of sidewall flex. I would bet that a fair amount of that roll & squirmy feeling you are experiencing is due to the side walls flexing. That is, of course, if you're still running them. Going to an LT from a P metric will help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TRU, I have a Pro4X so I think it has better tires than the base......... I am sure there are still better out there so your probably right there. I put on a lot of miles per year so if I don't just upgrade the shocks and tires now, I will eventually. This seems like good advise.

For those advising me how to drive, lets just assume going forward that I know how to do that... OK?

My question is, regarding the tippy nature of the X, like to know if anyone else had an issue and I really appreciate the advise on what type of mod's to help with this.

Go figure on the internet you can't ask a question, make an observation without someone jumping to other conclusions........

I know it sounds like I am being a bit sensitive but I guess it is because I knew when I posted someone would start advising me how to drive or what do you expect from a top heavy SUV....... Like I said, I have had 4x4 trucks (PU and SUV's) for a long time.

Anyhow, I appreciate the on topic replies.

Bill

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tire pressure can make or break handling as well. Mine was @32 from the dealer.
Went to 36psi and it was better, now runnin' 40 and it handles MUCH better. I'll be
going with LT's when these P265/75/16's die. I've been driving trucks and 4X4's since
the 70's and I think the Pro-4X has great highway manners for what it is. What does
suck is a 40mph crosswind, THAT will get yer attention...quick!

·
on line
951 Posts
I have had mine on 2 wheels at highway speeds while swerving to avoid a deer. Kinda scary, especially in the dark. It's the nature of the beast, high center of gravity and violent manouvers will cause a tippy situation.

·
Registered
550 Posts
go for the 2" wheelspacers and 40psi on your tires. mine corners better now even with a lift than it did running the recommended settings.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I find that my Xterra with the VDC is pretty damn stable. You can do some stupid stuff and the VDC seems to keep it in a straight line and right side up.

Don't be so swerve happy and expect people to do something stupid. Guy next door to my shop swerved to miss someone cutting him off. He ended up hitting someone else head-on. Bones sticking out his legs, rib cage crushed, spleen broken, punctured lung, lacerations, coma due to extreme pressure in his brain. After a week on life support they pulled the plug. He was in another wreck a few months back. Swerved to miss someone and rolled his truck.

If you want to feel tippy go drive an Isuzu Trooper or a Land Rover Discovery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My tire pressure is set at 32psi. I will try 40psi, good idea. Spacers are probably easy to install. I assume they go into the springs. If I did that I probably would need to get some nerf bar steps to get in. Ha

As far as deer, I hear that. I know instinctively ppl might want to swerve but I think its better to just slow down and if you hit the deer you hit it. They can do a lot of damage but you might be safer just slowing down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts