Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
on line
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install an Icom 2720H in the X and would like to see pics of where others have installed thier radios. Lets see antenna pics too.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Hmm. I think this is the first install of a ham radio in a new X. I could be wrong.

·
on line
39 Posts
Well, just wait!!! I'm installing a totally stealth radio set up. I'm putting in 2 motorola astro spectras (W3 VHF & W7 UHF) & a motorola syntor (100w UHF) plus a mount for my Yaesu 897 HF/VHF/UHF rig for road trips. For the VHF & UHF stuff, I plan on having 2 UHF & 1 VHF Antenex Phantom Elite antennas on 3/4" NMO mounts on a piece of stainless steel custom fit for the inside of the covered cargo area on the roof. Plan on a dual band larsen for the 897 & an antennex 27Mhz base loaded whip for chicken band & 10M w/ the 897. I'll post pics of everything once I'm done. The whole process won't be done until next month (need to come up w/ the frog skins to pay for the install crap.) I will be documenting the install with pics too. Here's what the Phanto Elite antennas look like:

·
on line
1,407 Posts
cipher77 said:
Well, just wait!!! I'm installing a totally stealth radio set up. I'm putting in 2 motorola astro spectras (W3 VHF & W7 UHF) & a motorola syntor (100w UHF) plus a mount for my Yaesu 897 HF/VHF/UHF rig for road trips. For the VHF & UHF stuff, I plan on having 2 UHF & 1 VHF Antenex Phantom Elite antennas on 3/4" NMO mounts on a piece of stainless steel custom fit for the inside of the covered cargo area on the roof. Plan on a dual band larsen for the 897 & an antennex 27Mhz base loaded whip for chicken band & 10M w/ the 897. I'll post pics of everything once I'm done. The whole process won't be done until next month (need to come up w/ the frog skins to pay for the install crap.) I will be documenting the install with pics too.
That sounds really cool, but I have no idea what any of that means. I liked using my CB radio, but never got into anything else. Who would you talk to?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
B Slater said:
That sounds really cool, but I have no idea what any of that means. I liked using my CB radio, but never got into anything else. Who would you talk to?
I think the answer to that question is in the window tint by the mirror thread :geek:

G

·
0 Posts
here's where i mounted my antenna. i have a cobra 75 ( all in handset ) so my cb is not mounted anywhere... i have the small base unit hanging out (loose) under the passenger seat. its not going anywhere.

·
on line
39 Posts
B Slater said:
That sounds really cool, but I have no idea what any of that means.
Here's what they look like:

And:

B Slater said:
Who would you talk to?
Um, about 1 million licensed amateurs!! :)

·
on line
39 Posts
dynamix said:
here's where i mounted my antenna. i have a cobra 75 ( all in handset ) so my cb is not mounted anywhere... i have the small base unit hanging out (loose) under the passenger seat. its not going anywhere.
That's the exact same thing I'm doing with one of my radios!! the radio is being mounted under the seat & the controlhead is in the mic. Just like your Cobra!!

Here's what it looks like:

·
on line
39 Posts
Muzikman said:
That's pretty slick. I have always wanted to get my HAM license.
What are ya wait'n for??? If you remotely like wireless communications, YOU NEED to do this!!! Buy the book from RadioShack called "Now you're talkin'", study it for a month (hour a day) & then go to arrl.org & find a VEC testing session near you. The're usually held by local HAM clubs. Everyone is ultra friendly & helpful.

Go to this site & check it out.

http://www.hello-radio.org/

You can also take practice tests here:
http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

later!!

Cipher77

BTW, checked out your website. I'm an EOS man too!!

·
on line
315 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, I know nothing about HAM radio. Does that say "PD"? You can't communicate on police/emergency frequencies with that thing, can you? Or can you at least listen?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
armandov99 said:
Pardon my ignorance, I know nothing about HAM radio. Does that say "PD"? You can't communicate on police/emergency frequencies with that thing, can you? Or can you at least listen?
If you want to listen to Police and Fire buy a scanner. They are cheap and you don't need to be licensed. I currently have 6 scanners running in my house. I know what it going on at all times for my town and surrounding towns.

·
on line
315 Posts
Yeah I know scanners can do it, I was wondering if these radios could too. And wow, 6 scanners in one house...one in every room? What, do you have one next to your toilet, too? Hahah.......

·
on line
39 Posts
armandov99 said:
To answer your question, That pic was just a picture I found on the internet just for illustration purposes.

Second, There are a lot of HAMs that just happen to be public safety officials.

third, The HAM community & the PS community are very close when it comes to disaster/weather prepairedness & there is some overlap of some HAMs that have priviledges to transmit on both allocated frequencies. A perfect example of this is how I was part of the local EOC (emergency operations center) which was a governmental entity that was run by civilian volunteers.

PS you can listen all you want

·
on line
39 Posts
Muzikman said:
If you want to listen to Police and Fire buy a scanner. They are cheap and you don't need to be licensed. I currently have 6 scanners running in my house. I know what it going on at all times for my town and surrounding towns.

Hey Musikman, just FYI, some states & local municipalities have laws against the mobile use of scanners to certain degrees. In the state of Michigan, up until last year sometime, you couldn't have a scanner in your car or on your person unless you had a valid HAM liscense or a permit issued to you my the Michigan state Police. This permit needed to be applied for & usually took 2-4 months to get because there was just 1 person that it was there sole responsibility to issue the permits. alot of towns that have adopted scanner laws actually use the rule that if you do have a valid HAM license, you are exempt from any laws restricting the use of scanners because we are providing a public service.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I loved listening to a scanner until I became a cop...Then it was like being at work while at home. The whole Ham radio thing is pretty cool though. I remember family friends letting us talk to people all over the world on there ham set. Always wanted to build a radio from one of those Heath Kits...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
All of my scanners stay in the house. My brother is the one that has all the mobile scanners. But he is a fire fighter so.

There are 4 scanners up stairs and 2 downstairs. They are scanning different frequencies so I can hear what is going on with the Police and fire at the same time. I can also listen to multiple townships at the same time.

Unless there is a lot of chatter, I hardly notice that the scanners are even on.

·
on line
39 Posts
Muzikman said:
All of my scanners stay in the house. My brother is the one that has all the mobile scanners. But he is a fire fighter so.

There are 4 scanners up stairs and 2 downstairs. They are scanning different frequencies so I can hear what is going on with the Police and fire at the same time. I can also listen to multiple townships at the same time.

Unless there is a lot of chatter, I hardly notice that the scanners are even on.
Do you have any digital systems near your house? Need a APCO25 capable scanner though. The 2 Astro spectra radios that I'm installing are Astro (APCO 25). The FCC allowed the APCO25 digital emission on amateur frequencies about 6 years ago & that's when we aquired 3 UHF APCO25 repeaters. Our HAM group did quite a bit of beta testing for the APCO25 base station & repeater/infrastructure products for Motorola. Since I live about 15 miles from Motorola's main campus, alot of my ham friends are Electrical or Software Engineers that work there. That's one of the reason's I like Motorola radios. Also, I can drop my portables off of a 2nd story balcony, get run over by an ATV & survive a dip into a shallow pool all without damage!!

·
on line
39 Posts
Muzikman said:
I have no digital scanners.

My brother has a hand held Uniden that is APCO 25 capable.
Probably a BC-250D or 296. Uniden makes great scanners. I have a ripshack Pro-96. within the next 5-7 years, you'll see alot more PS systems go digital because the FCC is mandating it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts