Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I just did a HID retrofit and put a single white LED halo in the back of each shroud. I was wanting to wire it up so that it comes on anytime the car is running or ignition on, so I know I need to run it off a hot accessory like the radio. I was trying to avoid having to run wires from the engine bay through the firewall. Is there a good ignition or key-in power source in the engine bay that is commonly used in Xterras? I could fuse tap the IPDM in an open slot?

Also, I do need it to shut off when the headlights come on. I was thinking once I have the power wire sorted out, it's just a matter of dropping in a relay that switches power off when the headlights come on. Additionally, I was wanting them to perform as such that when a turn signal is activated, the LEDs on that side switch off. This part, though, is less important if it's making it too complicated.

I could just wire them up to a standalone switch, run the power off the ignition under the steering column, but that would take me back to running wires across the engine bay.

Any maybe better ideas or solve? Many thanks!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Your call really... I think its all overkill.
I'd just wire them to either the turn signals or the fog lights (if you don't have fogs). But not sure your reasoning for wanting all those stipulations, especially without running a wire under the hood.
Do they HAVE to turn off when the lights come on? I'd think the headlight would just drown them out and it wouldn't matter.
You can use a "tail as turn" box get them to blink with the signals while still being steady as driving lights.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your call really... I think its all overkill.
I'd just wire them to either the turn signals or the fog lights (if you don't have fogs). But not sure your reasoning for wanting all those stipulations, especially without running a wire under the hood.
Do they HAVE to turn off when the lights come on? I'd think the headlight would just drown them out and it wouldn't matter.
You can use a "tail as turn" box get them to blink with the signals while still being steady as driving lights.
I think a better way to reword this is to use them as DRLs, so in effect they could I suppose be wired to blink with turn signal, but would be cleaner if they switched off completely with turn signal on.

So car on --> DRL on, turn signal on --> DRL off.

I assumed they would need to switch off with the headlights too as they will create excess scattered light in the housing? I guess I haven't tested them at night to know for sure. Good question. Will check tonight.
Edit: they are creating way too much excess scattered light. It's evident even in daytime. Perfect for DRLs, but would def need to switch off with headlights.

It's a little less about certain stipulations than it is about retaining a pure OEM look. I spent quite a bit of time and money making the retrofits look and perform to factory specs

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Looks like it would work? I could build the harness seperately then install it. Need to run 5-6 wires but in a small guage so will fit in a small loom, plus I got a chance of being able to keep it all in the front end without needing to run an ACC + ...this box will:

Turn on LEDs when engine is started.

Dim LEDs by connecting to headlight on.

Turn off LEDs when connected to turn signal on.

It didn't even occur to me that a DRL box would basically do everything I want this to do. The only question is instead of dimming the LEDs when connected to the headlights, is there a way to add an inline relay so that when dim mode is activated, it actually switches the power off completely?

And are T junctions the best way to not have to cut any factory wiring? I'd prefer this be reversible someday just in case.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
There’s a bunch of fuse tap options in ipdm fuse box..like fuel pump maybe?

Next step I’m not very clear on. Run to a 4 pin relay that connects to a 5 pin relay that goes to your light. This way the first relay energizes the second relay to run your halos. Then connect your headlights to 87a on the second relay. When head lights come on they should open up the second relay and kill the halos.

Hmm having written all of this out maybe a single 5 pin relay is all you need. When the relay is energized it’s powering your halos. When the headlights come on the power 87a and open up the relay and kill your halos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Are we talking about doing this as a standalone from the DRL module? Or instead of?
I was thinking of using a 5 pin relay that has a "power on switch off feature", have a look at this link:

How to Wire a 5 Pin Relay with a Positive trigger?
Pin 30 - Power goes from the battery and into this pin, through a fuse.

Pin 87 - Power comes out of this and goes to any accessory when your switch is turned ON.

Pin 86 - Power goes into this from the switch.

Pin 85 - This goes directly to ground.

Pin 87A - Power comes out of this when the switch is OFF. It do not need to be used, and can be ignored entirely if it is not needed.
So you'll need to tap into your headlights (or IPDM again) for pin 86, and have your halos on 87a.
Pin 87 will be unused.

But what will happen now, is that your halos are always going to be on, while headlights are off, even with the engine off which is not what you want obviously. That's why you'd need another relay before this one to feed the power to the halo relay while the engine is on. I dunno now, it's an option but maybe there's a better way.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi! Sorry it took me a few days to get back to this after the time you took to engineer a solution. That actually looks like a great way to make it work. I did buy a DRL module off amazon since it would accomplish everything I set out for, but reviews on those things are iffy, I don't want to start splicing all over the factory wiring, and they just look like cheap crap haha. Plus, your way it is completely reversible should it ever be necessary without modifying factory wiring (the HIDs run off a standalone control box that left one low beam headlight plug completely open) making this a harness I can build and test then loom up for plug'n'play.

I definitely prefer your method here. And if I wanted to add turn signal halo off at a later date, I understand how a 5 pin relay works now so I could play with it a little. Thank you very much for the time you took to work out a solution! It is much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hi! Sorry it took me a few days to get back to this after the time you took to engineer a solution. That actually looks like a great way to make it work. I did buy a DRL module off amazon since it would accomplish everything I set out for, but reviews on those things are iffy, I don't want to start splicing all over the factory wiring, and they just look like cheap crap haha. Plus, your way it is completely reversible should it ever be necessary without modifying factory wiring (the HIDs run off a standalone control box that left one low beam headlight plug completely open) making this a harness I can build and test then loom up for plug'n'play.

I definitely prefer your method here. And if I wanted to add turn signal halo off at a later date, I understand how a 5 pin relay works now so I could play with it a little. Thank you very much for the time you took to work out a solution! It is much appreciated!!!

No worries, glad I could help. if you're going down this route maybe worth investing into a relay box: Amazon.ca : relay box

I've got 3 relays just flopping around on top of my battery.. kinda messy. Thinking about going this route.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries, glad I could help. if you're going down this route maybe worth investing into a relay box: Amazon.ca : relay box

I've got 3 relays just flopping around on top of my battery.. kinda messy. Thinking about going this route.
That's actually a great idea, didn't occur to me. Would def work to clean up the bay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts