Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed the Timbrens badly when I was routinely carrying more weight with my Xterra. That hasn't been the case lately and the only action its been seeing is my wife's daily comute (30 miles each way at 80 MPH). There are a few bad bumps in the road on curves that have lately gotten worse with spring. She came home the other day and was very upset because she almost lost it on one of them. Apparently the back end was hopping so bad it was kicking out and this time it got out of control. She said the VDC saved her for sure. :cheers: Anyway, I took them off and put the stock bump stops back on and its no longer a problem. She said she "loves" the way it rides now and it cruises right over those bumps now. Yes, it occasionally bottoms, but 99% of the time, its fine.

I guess if I know I'm going to have to carry a heavy load (like when we go camping with 4 people and all the gear), I'll put them on. Otherwise, they are staying off for safety reasons.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Not to be flippant here but don't you think 80 MPH is a bit unsafe for these types of vehicles? Wow - 80 mph! Your time is precious (ok...that was flippant). :blackeye: I can see going 80 mph if I was going to cash in a big lottery ticket or I was the company boobie inspector but Man...80

Seriously, if you know the road conditions adversely affect the handling of your vehicle, it might be wise to simply slow down.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8th Man said:
Not to be flippant here but don't you think 80 MPH is a bit unsafe for these types of vehicles? Wow - 80 mph! Your time is precious (ok...that was flippant). :blackeye: I can see going 80 mph if I was going to cash in a big lottery ticket or I was the company boobie inspector but Man...80

Seriously, if you know the road conditions adversely affect the handling of your vehicle, it might be wise to simply slow down.

Its a two lane divided highway. 80 MPH is what the slow people drive. Its definitely not unsafe to drive this vehicle at those speeds. Do you live in a little down where there aren't highways or something? To see you even make that comment makes me think you're kidding or something?

You're completely missing the point of this thread. We shouldn't have to slow down to compensate becuase an aftermarket part caused the vehicle to handle adversely. It caused a problem, so I removed it. End of story.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8th Man said:

I went out and drove the same road with her after she told me about this. She wasn't kidding. Even at 70 MPH, the back end kicked out a little bit. It was pretty scary.

·
on line
807 Posts
"30 miles each way at 80 MPH... There are a few bad bumps in the road on curves that have lately gotten worse with spring"

Well theres you problem.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stevet47 said:
"30 miles each way at 80 MPH... There are a few bad bumps in the road on curves that have lately gotten worse with spring"

Well theres you problem.
No, that's not he problem. I can drive my car over them without an issue. I can drive my Z71 over them without an issue. I've been on that same road in 5 different vehicles on company trips in the last two months without an issue. And finally..........I can drive my Xterra over without without an issue. But if I put the Timbrens in my Xterra, the back end hops. This isn't rocket science here, guys.

·
on line
807 Posts
lol. I think we all realize that the timbrens caused the issue, and congrats of solving the problem. We are just 1) giving you a hard time, and 2) saying that it probably isn't smart to drive 80mpg around curves with bad bumps in the road, regardless of whether or not the vehicle can handle it.

·
on line
105 Posts
I agree, 80 on a divided two lane is not extreme. It depends on the road conditions and the flow of traffic. Drive I-35 from Austin to Dallas...you'll get passed by everyone if you try driving only 80. Out in west Texas a few stretches of interstate are now posted 80 mph.

Just curious, with your Timbrens, was there a gap between them and the axle or were they in contact with the axle with no load? If there was a gap, how much was it?

regards,

·
on line
612 Posts
Yeah those West Texas roads is where I got up to about 110, it wasn't exactly the most stable at those speeds but it wasn't scary. I routinely do 80 in traffin here in Atlanta and get passed. I'm still rollin stock, and I'm sure that once I get lifted and tires it will slow down. I do question people that do 80 around corners in a SUV though. I saw a chick in a new X spin out on 85 the other day going around a corner at 70, it amazed me she didn't flip or hit anything. I slowed down to about 60 and it was a little hairy. People just need to know the limitations of their vehicle.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mcampana said:
Well, since i like my gas to last a while, i dont go 80 unless i have to pass someone. An average high way speed of 80 is just uncalled for.
So you're the guy who drives 60 when everybody else drives 80, causing massive backups on the road?

I think I'm more than capable to judge what an acceptable speed to drive is based on road type, road conditions, and how fast the rest of the traffic around me is moving. What is "uncalled for" is you running your mouth without having the proper knowledge to make a comment. Thanks for playing anyway.

·
on line
105 Posts
willyswan said:
Just curious, with your Timbrens, was there a gap between them and the axle or were they in contact with the axle with no load? If there was a gap, how much was it?
Keep arguing guys, keep posting drivel to get your post counts up and all that...it doesn't really matter. Everyone is going to drive the speed they're going to drive...if they're slower than you they're assholes and if they are faster than you they're dumbshits...get over it.

knaffie - Back on topic, I'm curious how were your Timbrens were set up? Where they riding right on the axle housing? I've got about a 3/4-inch gap and have never had the problem you are describing. I'm guessing yours might have been riding right on the axle.

regards,

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ugh...guys, knock it off. It's up to the law and the driver to determine a vehicles safe speed. Around here, 80MPH will get you a ticket.

He had a problem, he solved it.

I too am wondering about the gap. I know the first ones were too long. This is the first I have heard of this happening. Is the X lifted at all?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts