Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Book time for sparkplugs is probably 2-3 hours. @ 122hr. Plus plugs and mark-up, yeah $550 is very high. Full blown retail should be just under $400.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did mine and my neighbor's son Frontier by myself. The spark plugs were $85 for each car, and about 1.5h of work per car. It is not a difficult job, but we have removed and cleaned an intake plenum. $550 IMO is way too much. Thanx God for this forum, for making my life much easier!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
A couple years ago, I had my spark plugs replaced at a Nissan dealer and paid $240 total... had a pretty good coupon ($50 off $250 or something like that). Next time I'll probably just do them myself.

$550 seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Anything you can do yourself you should. realize that $550.00 is money you pay from money you are paid after tax. So you could probably take two pays off work unpaid to do the job and still finish ahead. Plugs are 11.83 each on RockAuto.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Also comparing how much it would cost you to do it versus paying someone is a pretty stupid comparison. Are you paying yourself a salary, electricity, benefits, tool allowance, waste disposal, coffee in the waiting room, free shuttle service, car wash, etc etc. Of course you can do it yourself cheaper. Blows my mind when people freak out at the cost of doing it yourself versus paying someone. You can't compare. If you have the means and knowledge to do it yourself, then by all means do it. I know this guy wasn't doing that, but that is usually how these threads go. If you are wondering about average repair prices, repairpal.com is a good site to use. I used to work for a shop that was a part of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts