Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted the Prismatic Powders Metallic Green Ice color done, and it ended up coming out faded and the powder coater couldn't figure it out. I figured it wouldn't be that hard since Prismatic is a world wide company and plenty of others have surely done the color before. Long story short this is how i got the parts after 2 tries by the powder coater.

i wasn't really happy with it and couldn't justify spending all that money on new parts if they really weren't the way i wanted them or what I paid for. I found the best paint I could and landed on this vintage motorcycle paint from eBay. It's like powder coat in a can. Bought the silver primer that the seller suggested and got to work. They're not perfect but SO MUCH closer to what i was expecting. Got a refund for the original powder coat job but these cans weren't cheap, ended up spending almost the same plus my labor and exposure to lots of fumes haha. Here's how they came out. I clear coated them afterwards. They've been on the rig for around 2 months now and have held up well.

So yeah, happy with my new parts now. Here's 2 shots of them on the rig, will be posting more details up on build thread shortly.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great! How did the powder coat come off before the paint?
I let the seller know my situation beforehand and he said the powdercoat already on it would act as a primer. so i added a light coat of primer over the faded green then applied the metallic green over that, then finished with clear

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Looks Great!
I've never really cared for 'show trucks' that are offroad styles (love sport trucks and bagged trucks)... but yours has just enough to come across as a well planned/put together truck.
Kind of makes me want to start matching my stuff lol
I've been using Tractor Supply tractor/implement paint, as its very tough. But their colors are matches to tractors... and tractors don't come in pearl candy colors lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks Great!
I've never really cared for 'show trucks' that are offroad styles (love sport trucks and bagged trucks)... but yours has just enough to come across as a well planned/put together truck.
Kind of makes me want to start matching my stuff lol
I've been using Tractor Supply tractor/implement paint, as its very tough. But their colors are matches to tractors... and tractors don't come in pearl candy colors lol
Yeah hahah its far from a show truck but this is probably the closest its ever been to one. I've had the rig for 10 years and when i was swapping the suspension out I figured why not change it up a little. Definitely has given the rig new life even thought it's only aesthetic. In Connecticut, real wheeling is so limited that the only thing to do is get bored and mod your rig, as sad as that is. I probably would've sold it by now had I not refreshed everything. Getting back to planning some trips again come next spring so we will see how the coating holds up. A pearl candy Deere would be SICK!!!

If anyone's curious of the actual paint i can share a link here and a pic of the can, not even sure of the brand it may even be mixed by a motorcycle body shop.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Impressive masking job on the coilovers lol. That turned out much better than I was expecting. Wonder how it will look when it gets dirty?
Thanks lol it was a pain. And honestly me too I didn't really know what to expect but once I saw how the paint was applying I knew it was awesome paint. Time will tell if the green holds up.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
690 Posts
Man, that looks so freaking good! Nice work!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The good news is that any scratches in paint will have a similar color green under them.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paint on top of powder coat… I want to see the 6 months feedback. Great if it lasts and color looks amazing. Rich and full.
What's that a game of chicken? Is that a picture you took?

and yeah it's paint but it's the closest thing to powder in a can I've ever seen, the guy who blends the paint instructed me to spray right over the powder as it would act as a primer, i sent him pics of the parts beforehand and everything. We will see lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts