Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, wouldn't you know it ... I haven't even been driving my new X for a whole week when the TPMS light goes off on me when I'm driving over to show my sister the new truck and take her out to lunch.

Well, I stopped to check it out, and sure enough the left rear tire was quite low. So I had a quick look around the tread ... didn't see anything, so I filled it back up and was on my way - though still feeling a bit nervous about the light.

Later that afternoon, the light went off again; so I said to myself "Well crud, I guess I must have missed something when I stopped the first time ... I'll have to look more closely." I stopped again (at the same gas station, incidentally ... I'm sure they were starting to wonder if I was some kind of crazy :geek: ) and filled it, again, but this time took a closer look at the tread. Sure enough, I found a piece of wire, or something, that had found its way into the tire.

I didn't get the spare on until Saturday evening and my dealer's service dept. is closed on Sundays, so I didn't call them till this morning ... found out that apparently they don't do tire repairs. Background: I had wanted to take it into the dealer in the hopes that perhaps they'd fix it (or give me a new tire - :iconbiggrin: ) for free. I know I haven't got a whole lot (or any) of ground to stand on; but since I haven't even put 200 miles on the thing, I was kind of hoping they'd take pity on me.

I guess I'm wondering what you guys think about a couple of things:
1) Assuming I get it repaired someplace else (there are several good places nearby that I can take it ... either on my lunch hour, or after work, today); is it reasonable to expect a puncture repair to last the life of a tire? Remember, these only have about 230 miles on them.
2) Would it be a better idea to harass the dealer a bit more and see if I can get a new tire out of them? And, I'll pre-empt any talk of new, bigger tires by saying that I told myself I was going to drive the truck for six months to a year before doing anything major to it ... mostly so that I can get a better feel for what it is I actually want to do. So that's not really an option at this point, sorry. :confused1:

Anyway, thoughts?

-Jonathan
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,331 Posts
Maybe just get the repair done and put the repaired tire under your truck as the spare. It will hold air and be good enough to slap on in the case you flatten another tire.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
4,919 Posts
I put a plug into my all-seasons the 1st week I had them on. Still holding strong and it's been about a year. If you're not comfortalbe/unfamiliar with how to plug a tire, have a reputable shop do it. It all depends on where the puncture is. If it's in the sidewall, you're going to need a new tire because plugging it is fairly unsafe. (the reason most shops won't plug a sidewall). I'd talk to your dealer and see what they can do. Chances are, if it's only a couple hundred miles on it, they'll be willing to help you out a bit.

Good luck.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
skibum315 said:
So, wouldn't you know it ... I haven't even been driving my new X for a whole week when the TPMS light goes off on me when I'm driving over to show my sister the new truck and take her out to lunch.

Well, I stopped to check it out, and sure enough the left rear tire was quite low. So I had a quick look around the tread ... didn't see anything, so I filled it back up and was on my way - though still feeling a bit nervous about the light.

Later that afternoon, the light went off again; so I said to myself "Well crud, I guess I must have missed something when I stopped the first time ... I'll have to look more closely." I stopped again (at the same gas station, incidentally ... I'm sure they were starting to wonder if I was some kind of crazy :geek: ) and filled it, again, but this time took a closer look at the tread. Sure enough, I found a piece of wire, or something, that had found its way into the tire.

I didn't get the spare on until Saturday evening and my dealer's service dept. is closed on Sundays, so I didn't call them till this morning ... found out that apparently they don't do tire repairs. Background: I had wanted to take it into the dealer in the hopes that perhaps they'd fix it (or give me a new tire - :iconbiggrin: ) for free. I know I haven't got a whole lot (or any) of ground to stand on; but since I haven't even put 200 miles on the thing, I was kind of hoping they'd take pity on me.

I guess I'm wondering what you guys think about a couple of things:
1) Assuming I get it repaired someplace else (there are several good places nearby that I can take it ... either on my lunch hour, or after work, today); is it reasonable to expect a puncture repair to last the life of a tire? Remember, these only have about 230 miles on them.
2) Would it be a better idea to harass the dealer a bit more and see if I can get a new tire out of them? And, I'll pre-empt any talk of new, bigger tires by saying that I told myself I was going to drive the truck for six months to a year before doing anything major to it ... mostly so that I can get a better feel for what it is I actually want to do. So that's not really an option at this point, sorry. :confused1:

Anyway, thoughts?

-Jonathan
Which dealer did u take it to?
take it to firestone. they're usually good about this kind of stuff.
flats happen. part of driving.

to my luck I've never had a flat. imagine that
 

·
on line
Joined
·
384 Posts
I have had more tires plugged than I can count and never had a problem with them (drive through a lot of construction areas). I got a nail in a brand new tire and had it plugged. Those tires were replaced after 50,000 miles, so if a good shop does it right, you should not have any worries.

Like it was said above, if its in the sidewall, you may be SOL.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
:clown: Sorry skibum, low mileage, bummer




skibum315 said:
So, wouldn't you know it ... I haven't even been driving my new X for a whole week when the TPMS light goes off on me when I'm driving over to show my sister the new truck and take her out to lunch.

Well, I stopped to check it out, and sure enough the left rear tire was quite low. So I had a quick look around the tread ... didn't see anything, so I filled it back up and was on my way - though still feeling a bit nervous about the light.

Later that afternoon, the light went off again; so I said to myself "Well crud, I guess I must have missed something when I stopped the first time ... I'll have to look more closely." I stopped again (at the same gas station, incidentally ... I'm sure they were starting to wonder if I was some kind of crazy :geek: ) and filled it, again, but this time took a closer look at the tread. Sure enough, I found a piece of wire, or something, that had found its way into the tire.

I didn't get the spare on until Saturday evening and my dealer's service dept. is closed on Sundays, so I didn't call them till this morning ... found out that apparently they don't do tire repairs. Background: I had wanted to take it into the dealer in the hopes that perhaps they'd fix it (or give me a new tire - :iconbiggrin: ) for free. I know I haven't got a whole lot (or any) of ground to stand on; but since I haven't even put 200 miles on the thing, I was kind of hoping they'd take pity on me.

I guess I'm wondering what you guys think about a couple of things:
1) Assuming I get it repaired someplace else (there are several good places nearby that I can take it ... either on my lunch hour, or after work, today); is it reasonable to expect a puncture repair to last the life of a tire? Remember, these only have about 230 miles on them.
2) Would it be a better idea to harass the dealer a bit more and see if I can get a new tire out of them? And, I'll pre-empt any talk of new, bigger tires by saying that I told myself I was going to drive the truck for six months to a year before doing anything major to it ... mostly so that I can get a better feel for what it is I actually want to do. So that's not really an option at this point, sorry. :confused1:

Anyway, thoughts?

-Jonathan
-----------------------------------------------------------

--My answer to questions

---1) tread puncture, internal repar done correctly will last as long as the tire does, plugs won't--
--2) NO, dealer doesn't owe you anything and has no reason to give you $175 bucks worth of tire for a $25 buck repair (unless sidewall), then BUY new tire !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO
 

·
on line
Joined
·
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Webfur said:
Which dealer did u take it to?
take it to firestone. they're usually good about this kind of stuff.
flats happen. part of driving.

to my luck I've never had a flat. imagine that
Didn't take it anywhere yet, but it was bought from Boadwalk Auto up in Redwood City ... that was where I called this morning. After their luke warm response, I was planning to take it to either Midas down in S. Palo Alto or Sears Auto in Mountain View, as I've had good experiences both places, before.

I told the story to one of my co-workers, and his response was "I've got a repair kit out in my Corvette ... you want to take a break later and try to plug it?" I'm not sure how I feel about trying this myself ... but it is nice, sometimes, to work with a bunch of very mechanically inclined folks.

Oh, and for what it's worth ... I realize the dealer doesn't owe me anything ... I'm not going to harrass them about it. I think I was just bummed about the situation and wanting to truck to be all pristine again.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
don't take ur truck to boardwalk. I have heard they have bad service, I have witnessed it. Don't take it there. Vman will vouch for me here. take it to falore if u need to go. if you start modifying ur truck u need to know which dealer will treat u the best. if falore doesn't treat u well, then the best Nissan dealer in the bay area, is Superior Nissan in fremont. that is where mine was purchased. just an FYI
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,754 Posts
i have plugged tires on past vehicles with a plug kit from wal-mart. the plug held fine til i bought new tires. theres not much to it.

you buy a kit that has a reamer and an insertion tool.

remove foreign object, ream hole a few times, slide plug into insertion tool, apply glue over entire plug, push plug into hole so about 1/4" of the plug sticks out and pull insertion tool out. inflate tire to proper PSI. done

all can be done in 5 min.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
896 Posts
XVTer said:
I put a plug into my all-seasons the 1st week I had them on. Still holding strong and it's been about a year. If you're not comfortalbe/unfamiliar with how to plug a tire, have a reputable shop do it. It all depends on where the puncture is. If it's in the sidewall, you're going to need a new tire because plugging it is fairly unsafe. (the reason most shops won't plug a sidewall). I'd talk to your dealer and see what they can do. Chances are, if it's only a couple hundred miles on it, they'll be willing to help you out a bit.

Good luck.
x2 I had mine plugged at sears and it lasted me about 35,XXX miles. As long as it isn't in the side wall, get it plugged and move on
 

·
on line
Joined
·
564 Posts
A tire plug kit is an essential piece of off-road equipment. I have had to plug the tires on my X twice now...it's easy, inexpensive and usually lasts the life of the tire.


Rob
 

·
on line
Joined
·
139 Posts
Another vote here for plug. Until recently, I didn't have a plug kit and had never used one before. Got a screw in my tire and learned the hard way that it WAS in deep enough to put a hole all the way through the tire. I pulled out my $8 kit from Wal-Mart and had the leak stopped after about 10 minutes -- without even jacking up the truck and taking the wheel off. Pulled out the $10 Wal-Mart air compressor (also an important item to have) and filled the tire back up to 35 psi. All of this was with about 300 miles on the X.

D-Rock
 

·
on line
Joined
·
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
contenderv07 said:
get it plugged and move on
Done and done ... I'm now moving on. :salute: I guess it was just the fact that the truck is so new, that had me over-thinking the situation. That, and the fact that I never thought the first thing I'd be doing to my X would be a repair. :sad5: Though I suppose it could have been worse ... at least it wasn't something serious.

Thanks for the opinions, a plug kit will be going into my supplies box as a 'just in case'.

For what it's worth, I had the patch done at Firestone and they did a great job ... interior patch and plug for ~$30; and the service was quick, polite and apparently competent. Seems reasonable to me, but I'm still getting a feel for pricing on maintenance items (and I've been driving around and taking care of my own car - I guess I can say cars, now; that's weird - for ~10 years).

-Jonathan
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
I had to plug 2 tires within the first 2 months I had the car- stupid multiple condo construction areas all around where I used to live in downtown Miami. I bought a portable air compressor and used a plug kit from Wal-mart. I figured those are 2 things that can come in handy in the future. I've gone close to 2 years on the tires without a problem.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top