Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X owners, be happy, the X does many things better than the 40k V6 VW.
I drove my dealers VW for around 800 miles this past week, and got some good seat time to compare to the SE X

Obviously the VW is more luxurious. The interior was the Cricket leather with 12 way seats, pass too. Memory, bi xenons, parking sensors, upgraded stereo. While its a much more impressive interior, the car had way too many creaks and rattles. I would be a pissed owner if i paid 40k and was getting those noises.

Power: the V6 is not bad, but the tranny is horrible. 6 speed auto, but the shifts are too harsh, and short shifts in an annoying manner. With light acceleration, you can see the indicator shift from 1-2-3 in a matter of 5 seconds. Even with this VW 6 speed, i could barely get 14mpg in the city and 18 on the highway (cruise 70), and it recommends premium to boot. When needed, the v6 has good power, and a nice tone. Nothing like the X though. The X's tranny is silky smooth, great throttle feel, and of course the engine has so much more grunt. The X's power delivery puts the VW to shame

Handling, i was surprised at the poor handling of the VW. It wallowed around turns more than I expected, and dare I say the X handles corners better! On my way home the VW tripped a Check Coolant warning as well, which wasnt great. After restarting the car, it didnt show again. Overall comfort, Id say the VW has the nod here and Id say the lux features helped in this area. The car is a tad wider and longer, so the rear passengers have much more space. It makes for a better highway cruiser.

The two would defintely attract different demographics, but it was interesting to compare the two as Im looking to get into a more luxuirous highway cruiser due to my insane work commute.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Nice comparison! I have driven a V10 diesel Toureg, and even though it pulled like a freight train the handling didn't please me. It is in a different league. All in all I would agree with your opinions.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I was a fan of those initially but now I just don't like the looks. Give me a GTI instead :geek:

·
on line
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as the styling is concerned, Ive always liked it and still do. the interior has a fish bowl feeling where its very open with long windows...nice interior. The V8 and V10 with the air suspension looks awesome when lowered. Too much $$ though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts