Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
H.I. McDunnough's X (and near full-time X passenger)

Username: H.I. McDunnough[/COLOR]

Make: Nissan
Year: 2011
Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X
Color: Brick Red

Comments: Added since I last revised this page:
-- InSain Fab rear bumper with tire carrier & rotopax brackets
-- 10lb Powertank
-- Cobra 75WXST CB with RoadPro speaker

All the work, with the exception of the exhaust, done by yours truly. I leaned heavily on the 'How-tos' posted in this forum and have learned a TON doing all this work. My sincere thanks to everyone on this forum that's put together a 'How-to' thread - couldn't have done this build without that intel!!

Photos:

So here she is mostly stock (with the exception of tires/wheels and bedlined rockers) doing Poughkeepsie Gulch trail in Colorado and a trail (can't remember which) in Moab last summer:

Here's a look at the custom exhaust, expertly done by Scott Fischer at AA Performance Muffler in Englewood, CO. Great guy, great work and very fair pricing:

And here she is after first round of mods...
Spring Creek Trail, Downieville, CO - first obstacle

Moab, Fins n' Things:

Driveway Shots, as she sits now:

Mods:

Exterior -
Hefty front winch bumper
InSain Fabworks rear bumper with tire carrier and rotopax brackets
Warn M8000 w/ Dyneema & wireless control
Full set of Hefty Skids
Hefty Sliders
Boulder Ironworx Shock Mount Skids
Stealth Bedlined Grill
Locking t-handle for roof bin
DepHep Roof Rack
Grey Rhino-liner on rocker panels (color-matched to OEM trim!)
OEM mudflaps gone

Shoes -
285/75r16 Duratracs on black TKOs

Suspension -
** UPDATE ** TITAN SWAP COMPLETED AS OF 07/15/14
Now featuring:
2014 Titan m205 Differential with ARB Locker
Titan CV axles
Dirt King Titan UCAs
Stock Titan LCAs
Nisstec Extended Brake lines
Radflo Coilovers for Titan Swap by Nisstec
Moog Titan inner & outer tie rods
OME Dakar Leafs with added HD leaf
Adjustable shackles
Radflo Emulsion rear shocks
Extended braided rear brake lines
Sway bars removed

Under the Hood -
XTP Intake Manifold Spacer
Volant Cold Air Intake
AEM 21-209EDK Filter
Stebel 11690058 Nautilus Truck Air Horn

Other -
ARB Air-locked front Differential
Russell braided steel line for air locker
BullyDog 40415 Tuner
Blue Torch Fab Rear Diff Cover
Dynomax VT muffler
Custom Y-Pipe
Tranny Cooler Bypass Mod - REMOVED.
Secondary Tranny Cooler installed
Amsoil everywhere but the transmission
Melt Mod
Rear diff breather mod
Fumoto oil drain valve - Love it!
4 Smittybuilt D-rings
Hi-lift jack
Staun Deflators
10lb PowerTank, mounted in the back
2 Gal Rotopax Gas pack
2 Gal Rotopax Water pack
BoosterPak ES5000 jump pack
ViAir 300P Portable Compressor

Interior -
Hula Girl Mod
WeatherTec mats front and rear
JVC KW-XR810 HU
Always-on 12v Power installed in place of OEM Alt Input (so my phone will charge…)
Second Alt Input jack installed
In-dash USB input installed (for iPod)
Cobra 75WXST CB with RoadPro speaker
6000K LED Bulbs in all lights
Fire Extinguisher
Rex Rug
Pet Divider to keep pheasant-crazy pointing Labrador in the back

Speaking of pheasant-crazy labrador, here she is on point:

Here's what we end up with when I can shoot straight:

And here's what she does most of the time she's not in the field:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great rig. great dog too. I wish my Rottie was interested in birds.. or any game for that matter....I suppose I could train him into searching for it, but id rather just get a lab lol...
Thanks, mate! Rig was tough to get to the point where I'm happy with it. Dog was born perfect, was pointing at 6 weeks and retrieved her first wild quail at 10 weeks. All I've done is stay out of her way and she's found me 100's of birds! :headbang:

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOW you have a lot of stuff into your rig! I've looked into the Hefty rock sliders, how well do they work as steps? What size are the goodyear's that you're running? If I spot you in Salida, I'd love to take a look at the rig if that's cool!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW you have a lot of stuff into your rig! I've looked into the Hefty rock sliders, how well do they work as steps? What size are the goodyear's that you're running? If I spot you in Salida, I'd love to take a look at the rig if that's cool!
I love the hefty sliders and my 5'2" wife uses them as steps all the time. Chris did a great job on the design, even putting a little step in for the back seat passengers. Can't recommend highly enough!

I did the melt mod but stuck with 265's. The MTR Kevlar is a pretty rugged with serious tread depth and when new they measured out at 32.5", so much bigger than a street 265. I actually had a guy insist that he thought they were 285s until he looked at the sidewall.

I'll shoot you a line next time I'll be in your neighborhood!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
truck looks great man! you're at about the same spot that I plan on stopping modding my rig...waiting on my rear bumper as we speak, and the last couple mods I want to do are skids, winch, rear leafs, and onboard air. loving your truck though!!

·
on line
996 Posts
Hey just came upon your build thread, great lookin rig. You are in the middle of the springs and Denver people. Where have you been hiding? Come join our next trail run!looks like you have experience under your belt for sure. Hope to see ya soon.
~Bri

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
truck looks great man! you're at about the same spot that I plan on stopping modding my rig...waiting on my rear bumper as we speak, and the last couple mods I want to do are skids, winch, rear leafs, and onboard air. loving your truck though!!
Thanks, mate! Gotta tell you, it's not easy to stop the modding! Every time I think I'm done, I see something else I "need". :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey just came upon your build thread, great lookin rig. You are in the middle of the springs and Denver people. Where have you been hiding? Come join our next trail run!looks like you have experience under your belt for sure. Hope to see ya soon.
~Bri
I've been hiding in my garage getting this rig up to speed! Plan to join the group on a couple runs this summer. I'm in Northern AZ today, just spent two days in the San Juans (Poughkeepsie again, Mineral Creek, etc). Great run, but smoky from all the fires.

Heading to Moab for a couple days now. Hope to have some good pics to post!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice looking pup.
Thanks, Surf! She's been my constant companion for the last 6 years. Brings me the paper every morning and lots of birds during hunting season.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks great. i did that same first obstacle on Spring Creek with my stock X. only hit the right rear plastic corner and made a dent that i cant get to pop out. but otherwise walked right up!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's funny - I banged in the right rear corner/step that day, too! Quick, easy and cheap to fix - the part was only like $20 brand new at the stealership. If we're gonna dent our trucks, that's the spot to dent!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
762 Posts
Good looking ride! So are you titan swapped or did you lock the R180?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I locked the r180, for a few reasons - but mostly because I really like having lockers front & rear and when I did it, ARB hadn't yet come out with the locker for the m205.

Of course, the m205 locker was announced right after I bought the locker for my r180 :cussing: However, I'm not that bummed about it - the front locker has worked well and I have peace of mind knowing that I won't grenade the gears in there. With the diff locked, the weak link in the front is now the axle/cv - which in many cases can be fixed on the trail - unlike an exploded diff!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Cool. I plan on locking my R180 as I really have no interest in titan swapping. I feel like the whole reason for titan swapping is negated by replacing the weak spider gears with the locker. Have you had any issues with the CV/Axle? Have you sheared any? How much are those?

Good to find people in the club that have similar setups to what I am interested in doing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts