Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my buddy's place to go take some measurements and do some pre-planning on where to mount things like my 45qt fridge, my tub of cooking gear, 7 gallon water can, etc and still have room to sleep in the back...that quickly turned into gutting the rear cargo area floor, removing the seats, cutting the floor trim pieces out, and cutting ¾" plywood for a new storage floor...up next I'll be building a 1x1" steel tube framework for support and adding some hinges to fold the front sections of the floor up to access storage, and deciding whether or not to build a slide out box for the fridge and stove...keep in mind that this is only a part-time camping rig, so everything needs to be easily removed after getting home from a trip, leaving me with just the blank floor in the back for hauling hot rod parts...T-minus 26 days until I leave for my next cross country trip and we ripped the floor out...brilliant plan, right?...
IMG_20190911_152914434.jpg
IMG_20190911_164523539.jpg
IMG_20190911_184247912.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
26 days, such little time, so much to do. Sounds like a great time in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also have rock sliders to build and mount, a folding kitchen prep table to build and mount, a CB radio to mount and wire, routine maintenance to perform (oil change, u-joint change, tire rotation, etc), and a bunch of organizing gear to do...it's gonna be a tight deadline...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Made some progress today...a friend gave me a stainless prep table shelf and I used some drawer slides to turn it into a fridge slider and cooking area...now I'm on the hunt for an affordable sealed box that fits the 20" long and roughly 15" wide space ok top of the table where I can attach the box on quick releases and keep all of my kitchen stuff inside of it so it's all out of the way while I'm sleeping, secured while I'm driving, and easily accessible when setting up camp to cook...
IMG_20190919_162435269.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found a stackable sealed solution to my problem and I'll be ordering them soon...they're the ACR8 and ACR12 Ammo Crate Utility Boxes from MTM on Amazon...they look like they should fit my space needs perfectly, and hopefully everything I need to fit into them fits well...and they're far cheaper than the Wolf Pack boxes from Front Runner...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
man that steel sliding table is such a score! this is making me want to do this to my X. just need to find a cool steel table shelf thingy.. !

looking forward to seeing the end result!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm planning on cutting a hole out of the end of the shelf/table and adding a slide out cutting board to it...and I may add another set of drawer slides and just have a set on each end for more strength...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I just found a stackable sealed solution to my problem and I'll be ordering them soon...they're the ACR8 and ACR12 Ammo Crate Utility Boxes from MTM on Amazon...they look like they should fit my space needs perfectly, and hopefully everything I need to fit into them fits well...and they're far cheaper than the Wolf Pack boxes from Front Runner...
Once you have one of these in hand, could you see if they would work like the 8 gallon Action Packers do to create a flat sleeping layout with the seat folded down? As seen here:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once you have one of these in hand, could you see if they would work like the 8 gallon Action Packers do to create a flat sleeping layout with the seat folded down? As seen here:
I can say from experience that the stock cargo area isn't fun to sleep in, mainly due to the huge angle that the floor slopes back towards the rear hatch...that said, it'd be easy to compare the dimensions of the 8gal Action Packer and the MTM Ammo Crate online...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 8gal Action Packer is 20x14x12 LxWxH and the MTM Ammo Crate is 19x16x13.5...so the Ammo Crate is an inch and a half taller...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I found some cheap, like $8 cheap clear plastic totes at walmart that work pretty well for filling in the back seat footwells. white tops with little blue latches. not the toughest things but i have used them like 3 time snow for camping/ sleeping in the rear and they worked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found some cheap, like $8 cheap clear plastic totes at walmart that work pretty well for filling in the back seat footwells. white tops with little blue latches. not the toughest things but i have used them like 3 time snow for camping/ sleeping in the rear and they worked.
My only issue with those is that type of plastic cracks so easily...I have a Rubbermaid Action Packer currently, but it's now too large for my available storage space after adding the fridge...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I can say from experience that the stock cargo area isn't fun to sleep in, mainly due to the huge angle that the floor slopes back towards the rear hatch...that said, it'd be easy to compare the dimensions of the 8gal Action Packer and the MTM Ammo Crate online...
My experience has been pretty different I guess. I find sleeping in the back very comfortable, using an action packer, or two if my wife is camping with me. We use a couple of thermarest air mattresses that also get used when backpacking, and sleep really comfortably. I haven't noticed any huge angles, just a rather flat 6.5' surface if you park it right... just drive a wheel up onto a rock to level things out.

It sounds like the ammo box will be a little bit tall. I like the action packers, but they are not the most efficient use of space due to their shape. Anyway, thanks for the reply, always looking for other options for storage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

If you look at the front of the wheel well, by where the seat belt mounts to the body, you can see how much taller the floor is where the plastic is cut out compared to the flat sheet metal body...the sheet metal is flat front to back when you remove the seats and all of the plastic and brackets in the cargo area...there's probably a 10 degree slope to the rear floor from the seats to the rear hatch...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My experience has been pretty different I guess. I find sleeping in the back very comfortable, using an action packer, or two if my wife is camping with me. We use a couple of thermarest air mattresses that also get used when backpacking, and sleep really comfortably. I haven't noticed any huge angles, just a rather flat 6.5' surface if you park it right... just drive a wheel up onto a rock to level things out.

It sounds like the ammo box will be a little bit tall. I like the action packers, but they are not the most efficient use of space due to their shape. Anyway, thanks for the reply, always looking for other options for storage.
I feel the same way, its much more comfortable than sleeping in a tent on the ground! and yes as long as you park right i find the angle to be minimal and not uncomforable in the least.

now.. back to OP's oringinal topic..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ammo crates came in yesterday and they fit perfectly...I'm gonna add some D rings to the table to be able to strap the crates down for transport...
IMG_20190921_180332069.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts