Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all! So I was driving my X today and noticed some intermittent mild rumbles while in idle and when driving. The rumbles began to stop after a few minutes. I got home and let the engine cool down to see any signs of smod, the coolant reservoir doesn’t seem to be contaminated with any pinkish fluid but I found this in my radiator cap. Could this be a sign of smod?
P.s. I started the engine again after cooling it down for an hour.The rumbles were still there at first, but then stopped after a few mins

Gunk in Radiator Cap

·
Registered
233 Posts
brown or grey. Little over exposed. Could be blown head gasket or cracked block. Antifreeze if it gets into exhaust will rapidly kill the catalytic converters. Just went through this on a friends Jeep. Was head gasket. Jeep had 3 cats. Will need to do a leak down test IMO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a link which contains the picture of the rad cap. It's a 2005 with almost 95k miles. I have posted the exact discussion on reddit and many pointed out that it's a sign of SMOD.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pink milkshake of death to tranny. I saw the linked photo and could not tell if it was grey or brown. Without the tranny engaged why would you get a rumble? You never attempted to do the rad bypass that is no $$.? I would immediately at least do that and drop the tranny fluid to check. At 90k the X is supposed to have all fluids changed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad, it's more of a brownish and yellowish gunk. I never attempted to do the bypass as I thought it was just a temporary fix. I am planning on taking it to the shop to get the fluids changed and serviced. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Imo the bypass is best to be chosen as a temporary fix until a radiator replacement can be performed.

Nissan has a known record of smod in the 2005-2010 xterras.

Keeping in mind you own a 2005 X, the question should not be "If" you get smod, but rather "when" you get smod.

Your choices:
Do nothing.......when smod happens your looking at replacing a transmission and radiator. Cost 3,000-$6,000

Swap your transmission hoses.....free temporary fix to prevent smod from happening and allow you time to make an educated decision regarding which radiator you prefer.

Radiator swap......avg cost of a aftermarket radiator is typically less than $250 ( include labor if your not mechanically inclined. )

In my opinion, being proactive is a no brainer.

Like the old Meineke commercial once said.
You can pay a little now, or alot later.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Some have never went any farther than the bypass without issue of overheating the tranny. I bought my x at 90k and did all fluids, spark plugs, rad, water pump, belt, tensioner, hoses and condenser. Never regretted doing them all. Wasn't bad on the wallet as I did the work myself after reading and watching youtube. I think the most PIA was the plugs but not that bad of an afternoon and a 6 pack. Full synthetic fluids bumped mileage to over 19

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
730 Posts
Some have never went any farther than the bypass without issue of overheating the tranny. I bought my x at 90k and did all fluids, spark plugs, rad, belt, tensioner, hoses. Never regretted doing them all. Wasn't bad on the wallet as I did the work myself after reading and watching youtube. I think the most PIA was the plugs but not that bad of an afternoon and a 6 pack. Full synthetic fluids bumped mileage to over 19
Plugs were worse than the rad install? I did the plugs, passed on the rad as I had no free time then.

Wish I would have installed myself. Especially after I explicitly told the shop to hook the rad up stock upon install; undoing the bypass. Of course I got it back and it was still bypassed...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Could be smod. Its usually a little red but if you have original tranny fluid it might not be red anymore after this many years. Something is in the coolant that doesn't belong either way. I would do the bypass, then full poor mans flush, then change your coolant. Go from there. No point in changing the rad until you figure out if in fact your transmission is good or not. Good luck. Feel free to ask questions - plenty of helpful people frequent this site.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If the tranny been abused the fluid could've turn brown-burnt. Not good. But the engine without moving or transmission being engaged rumbling to me anyways, indicates engine issues. Been there on couple of other engines. Bad head on a JD tractor. Took a summer of flushes to clean up the radiator.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would change the oil or at least check the dipstick. Contaminated oil will mess with the VVT system and could cause rumbling like described.

Dunno what these SMOD guessers are on about.

·
TNX Veteran
4,134 Posts
Dunno what these SMOD guessers are on about.
They're on about the fact he has some contamination in his radiator fluid, and it's likely the OP has experienced a known problem that can or will ruin the transmission.

The OP, don't drive it anywhere until you figure out whats wrong. If it is SMOD, you will only do more damage.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Like the old Meineke commercial once said.
You can pay a little now, or alot later.
It was Fram (ironically considering their current reputation!). I remembered that commercial immediately! That guy reminds me of my Dad, we used to work on a lot of cars together back then.
Pay me now or pay me later

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Campisi.

Your right.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Oddest thing about looking at that commercial form 1972? Fram oil filters were 4 bucks. That's about what they cost today almost 50 years later. WHUT!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanna give you guys an update. While on my way to the shop, the ses came flashing for a good min and then went away. They were able to find a bad ignition coil which was causing the intermittent rumbles and poor acceleration. I also checked the coolant reservoir again and it seems like it hasn't been contaminated with transmission fluid yet. Now that my X is fixed, I'm still gonna get the rad replaced just to be safe. The shop is planning on getting an oem rad from Nissan. Do you guys think going with an after market rad is better than the oem? I'm just a bit worried that the oem is still gonna be the same type of Calsonic rad as the stock one.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
IMO

If it was my cash being spent, I would purchase an aftermarket radiator such as one made by Koyo.
No, I dont think the Koyo is a better radiator than a Nissan radiator.
A new Nissan radiator should be perfectly reliable.
As a matter of fact, i suspect a Koyo radiator is very comparable to what Nissan may sell you.

So why choose one over the other?
PRICE.

A Nissan radiator will probably cost you between $500 & $600 depending on what discount the dealership may provide your mechanic below retail price.

"You" can purchase a Koyo radiator online for apx $165 or less.
If you purchase from Amazon , free shipping may apply.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It was $140 5 years ago when I did mine.
Manual suggests all fluids be changed at 90k. I know changing the tranny fluid to Valvoline synthetic on mine made the shift changes to where you have to watch the tach to know it's happening .
Proper maintenance and some preventive swapping will make your X dependable for many years to come.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts