Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night, i grabbed some drive-through mcdonalds and i decided to eat in my x.

i park, shut off the engine but leave the key on "accessories" so i could listen to music.

about 1/3 of the way into my double cheeseburger, i catch the tachometer and speedometer needles both dropping 1/4 of an inch down below 0 then moving back up to 0.

it was pretty freaky....

i finished up my food and drove home....i shut off the engine but leave the accessories on and stared at my gauge cluster for a minute or two and i caught it doing the same thing.

i assume this is normal but i'm wondering why it does that.

any ideas?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
it's normal...i assume it has something to do with the lag on the electrical shutting off....your lights stay on for a minute or two and your power windows still work for a few minutes after the key is removed and before the door is open.

·
on line
246 Posts
This is intended by Nissan. It is the cluster recalibrating itself to zero. When I swapped out my cluster with the SE cluster the speedo would stick at random places as its new zero mph. When the needed would recalibrate it would only do 10mph at a time.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Love those $1 menu double cheeseburgers...and Spicy McChickens! :)

Here's a note about your guages, if your key isn't in the "off" position when gassing up, your needle will stay where its at. I know its a bad idea to not have your key all the way off when gassing, but for some reason I left it in the ACC spot. My needle stayed at half tank until I shut it off and started it again.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
this is another thing about my X that i noticed but just figured it was normal. Like the abs noise at 15mph, never knew what it was doing but assumed it was normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts