Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Xterra 4x4 S. It does not have the step rails. I was reading somewhere that my ground clearance was 9.1 inches, but then the nissan site said 8.3" to 9.5" (9.5 being for the OR). So, what is my true ground clearance?

Also, I'm planning a weekend of wheeling soon on my completely sotck Xterra S. I was wondering if the X has front and rear recovery points. I found a promissing hook on the front on the passenger's side, but wasn't sure if it oculd actually handle serious wheeling duty.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
crawl underneath and measure from the rear diff to the ground, that'll be your lowest point on the truck, and you'll get your ground clearance.

also, yes, that hook on the front can be used for recovery. you will have NO recovery point in the rear unless you have a hitch receiver, you can use that as a recovery point in the rear.

·
on line
85 Posts
Actually, my front transmission case is lower than the rear diff. I measured my 4x4 S and the rear clearance was like 10" while the front was more like 9".

·
on line
463 Posts
There you have it ! If you average the clearances you measured,,,,,,,,,,9.5.
Now,,,,go make your four wheel drive work !
You really should have rear recovery point though !
Have you lost the flaps yet ?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
LMAO. You can't average the clearances man, you have to go with the lowest one. A 9.5" average wont mean jack if you try and crawl over 9.5" rock; the 9" of your front will hit it.

Am I wrong? It sounds too easy to be wrong but I dont know.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Yeah Killjoy the lowest point is def the lowest point... I think(hope) he was just joking around.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
also if you air down, you might lose some clearance but gain traction. Go with 7 inches and you will be safe

·
on line
3,272 Posts
good point with the airing down lost boy. i think we were wondering if you were joking prod.....

·
on line
463 Posts
Realistically, he does have an "S" model so he should get the skid plates, immediately as well.

·
on line
102 Posts
Anybody have experience removing the front tow hook and putting it back on? I was thinking about rattle-canning mine safety yellow.

Also, does this (http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT57597.aspx) tow hook bolt right onto the driver's side in front? I looked down there and it seems to have the holes, but I'm not sure if the Warn hook will fit on. Fourwheelparts says so, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

·
on line
142 Posts
I removed and reinstalled that front tow hook a few days ago to put my shrockworks radiator skid on. You will need a 17 mm socket with an extension that drops just lower than the hook, and lots of strength or a breaker bar.

And yes, those bolt holes on the driver side are the same and ready to bolt something up. But I don't know if that warn hook would fit or not.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Even without skid plates. A slow and steady wheeler can go offroad, depending on the place, and have no problems. A good spotter helps as well. Dont go alone, dont use the gas too gernerously, and just be smart. I wheeled my X with nothing but new tires and i came out just fine. Muzikman was spotting me, which makes a world of difference. But just be careful and no sweat.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Course, I don't know for sure, but you ask your parts house contact, if the warn tow hook, has 3 1/2" bolthole centers, otherwise it WON"T fit !!

txelen said:
Anybody have experience removing the front tow hook and putting it back on? I was thinking about rattle-canning mine safety yellow.

Also, does this (http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT57597.aspx) tow hook bolt right onto the driver's side in front? I looked down there and it seems to have the holes, but I'm not sure if the Warn hook will fit on. Fourwheelparts says so, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.
--And you can't grt one from Nissan--

-- :geek: :geek: JIMBO

·
on line
1,864 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: Course, I don't know for sure, but you ask your parts house contact, if the warn tow hook, has 3 1/2" bolthole centers, otherwise it WON"T fit !!

txelen said:

--And you can't grt one from Nissan--

-- :geek: :geek: JIMBO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts