Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which gen has the most ground clearance and why? the 1st gen xe/se with std tires etc or the 2nd gen X/S/SE? I know the OR has the most of the 2nd gen, but what makes it higher ground clearance than the other 2nd gen versions??

thanks..

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i'm not 100% sure about this, but the only difference between the S and the OR that would differ in size are the wheels (17" on OR, 16" on S)....i'm not sure if that really make much of a difference, but i don't see anywhere else a height difference would factor in

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can we add those tires to the S/X/SE models?? IS it wheel/tire or combo and wil they fit stock??

thanks...

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i know ground clearance for my 2007 S 4x4 is 9.1 inches. is that at the diff(s) or somewhere else? Also, I know that the OR is 9.5 inches. I read somewhere that the 9.5 is attained by it not having the step rails BUT I am not sure. If the OR has bigger tites, then the .4 inches would come about by the slightly larger wheel size/tire size maybe.... Just like to know these things.....

Also, a 1st gen looks like it has highjer ground clearance than the s/x/se 2nd gen. I did some googling and found the 02 i had before, has 9.3 inches versus my current 9.1 inches......

·
on line
266 Posts
all wheels are interchangable on the new xterra's

that is, all the wheels have the same bolt pattern

the only X that comes with 17" rims is the SE

all the other X's (Besides the OR) comes with 31" tires mounted on 16x7 rims, while the OR has 32" tires on a 16x7 rim

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have P265/70R16 tires..... What size are on the OR?

thanks...

·
on line
631 Posts
my S model had 265/75s on it not the 265/70s... strange but oh well. mine lifted next to an OR model, sits slightly higher but not much. and now i have the 285s on it

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you bought it new with those tires?

also, was ground clearance as high as the OR with those tires?

Also, was there rubbbing etc????

I guess my primary question is, can i put the 265/75/r16's on my S have no rubbing and have as much clearance as the OR???

thanks..

-Bill

·
on line
631 Posts
agreed with above. i never had any rubbing issues until i got 285s put on. but the 265/75s were on the vehicle when i purchased it brand new. no rubbing with those. as for the ground clearance issue... i never compared it to an OR until i got my lift put on. but you shouldnt have any problems at all.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
silverflash said:
I guess my primary question is, can i put the 265/75/r16's on my S have no rubbing and have as much clearance as the OR???

-Bill
yes
x3 100% yes. My buddy is running the 265 75s off my OR on his S right this second. It looks better, gains the 1/2-3/4" or so clearance, and has absolutely no issues with rubbing.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awesome, so i can get a lift in about 50k miles of 1/2" or so... cool....have that 9.5 inches back like the OR...

:)

·
on line
1,792 Posts
silverflash said:
awesome, so i can get a lift in about 50k miles of 1/2" or so... cool....have that 9.5 inches back like the OR...

:)
Absolutely, and it's enough to matter. In BFG ATs the difference in diameter is almost exactly 1", therefore 1/2" more clearance (since only one radius adds height).

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Typically, ground clearance is measured at the lowest point, usually the rear diff. The only difference there between the S and the OR is tires. A factory brush guard hangs low, but probably not as low as the rear diff, so while you lose "clearance" in a sense because of the brush guard, it doesn't change the basic "ground clearance" measurement.

What nerf bars/brush guards do is affect approach angle, and "clearance" under the front bumper/cowl. The low-hanging guard is another thing to hit on steep dips and also rocks and other obstacles. It's something else that isn't clear of obstacles. Factory step rails are even worse, despite the fact that they are probably higher off the ground than 9.5" (although our rockers are way low in the X). They're in exactly the right place to get banged up, and to bend and smash into the (expensive) rocker panels.

No offense to people who run these options. Just that for offroad use, they pose constant headaches.

·
on line
246 Posts
as far as i know the ground clearance on my nismo is 10.1 and i have the 265/75-which in actuality is a 31.6 inch tire(im pretty sure thats right)...........so i dont see why the OR X isnt the same clearance but yes its only the tires that give us the extra 1/2 inch....................................
the exact reason i think im going to a 32 inch tire stock with no lift-im pretty sure ill have no issues, not even a 1/4 of inch will be gained in radius- not sure why nissan just didnt throw 32's on these vehicles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts