Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Xterra after my Tacoma was sadly totaled. I couldn't afford a similar Tacoma to what I had; but found a deal on a 2014 Xterra X and I'm enjoying it so far!

I'm up in NH and look forward to learning about Nissans and the Xterra platform and how to make it better fit my needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have photos to put up now. It's got 180k miles and was truthfully a budget buy after my Tacoma was totaled. I needed something that was similarly trail capable for wildlife work and this one popped up at a good price and is running/shifting well. Previous owner was diligent about maintenance and it has new parts (front diff, tie rods and ball joints, rear brake kit, all fluids are fresh).

The only thing I had to do to get it to pass inspection was a front passenger ball joint and tail light. It does have a busted leaf on the passenger side; so I'm researching what to go with for that. It is also showing some corrosion around the cat flange, so I went ahead and did a fresh seal and hardware on that. I do want to look into doing the timing chain as that's the only major thing that hasn't been done for it. I also want to look at rust remediation for the frame. I found one small hole above that cat flange (circled in one of the photos), from the addition heat in that area I'm guessing. everything else is just surface rust and far less than I was expecting. I was looking at newer frontiers with way more aggressive rust; so this Xterra seemed like the best buy out of all the options I'd looked at.

So far I'm really enjoying it. My only complaint is the steering wheel quality. Whatever rubber they use on it is disintegrating, sticky, and leaving chunks of rubber on my hands. The wheel is already bulkier than I'd like so I'm hesitant to throw a cheap wheel cover on it. I'm debating between handlebar tape or paracord wrapping it. I did get a silicone cover for now, but it slides around too much for my liking. Seems like the rubber stuff is actually sliding around on the center tube. I'm not sure if cutting it off completely will be an improvement or not. The only major upgrade so far was a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3s (last photo); the Toyos that were on it were just about to the belt. All just typical used car to-do list stuff I suppose. Glad to see there's a pretty sizeable community here and am enjoying reading about everyone's builds and progression.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle
Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Land vehicle Wheel
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle
Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Land vehicle Wheel