Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I bought an 06 xterra OR last month and I have been trolling this board ever since. Of all the xterra boards I have been reading this so far has been the best. Thanks all for the research and information that you have shared. So now my question. Is there a site that will give me a complete break down of specs for off-road tires? Some of the manufactures such as Mickey thompson doesn't include things like speed ratings. Many of the sites for tire shops do not list all brands of off road tires (selection at discount tires is different than tirerack.com). Specialty shops such as 4 wheel parts will give you diameter and width but not load ratings or speed ratings. I guess I am hoping there is a one stop shop website that gives a complete break of off road/all terrain tires much the way tirerack.com is set up. I did a search for this information but could not find anything so if I missed the topic else where please link the thread in your reply.

·
on line
335 Posts
Unfortunately...there really isn't a site like that. at least not that i've seen..

you have to bounce around quite a bit gather info on different tires...

like you said, the better tire websites don't carry all the off-road styles, and are generally more highway biased in their reviews/ratings.

but ask for some ideas/recommendations on what type of tire you want...and we'll throw some names up, and you search for individual specs on those.

·
on line
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well new tires are still a ways out but I figure I do my resarch now so when the time comes I just drive down to the shop and pick them up. Here is basically what I am looking for.

Ideal: I would like a Mud tire with a speed rating of Q or better and good wet/snow/ice ratings. I have not found one with an S or T rating so I am willing to compromise but I don't want to go lower than Q. I would like an LT size as oppose to the P metric but would like to preserver the load capacity of the original tire so it has to be at least a load range D. Also good tread wear. Well good tread wear for a mud tire. I don't care so much about on road noise, but I do prefer decent ride quality

Compromise: I could go for an All terrain tire which will give me the qualities that I am looking for but I really like the look of the mud tire. If I do an AT tire I would like one that looks rather beefy like F-C II or procomp X-AT.

My driving style: For now I am looking at 80-90% on road driving but I will be snowboarding so I need something thats good in the Washington winters. However come summer I would like to be able to do some trail/camping runs. From everything I have read about the xterra it may be overkill for my needs, but hey I didn't buy the truck for need I bought it for want :drunken:

Tires I have looked at:

Mickey Thompson MTZ - Per everything I found out about this tire its pretty sweet but its an N speed rating. Actually all of the micky thompson and dick cpeck tires appear to have N speed ratings.

Dick Cepeck F-C II - love what I have read on this one as well but its an N rating.

BFG Mud- Had friends run this one on there prure wheeling rigs, I had them on an old 69 bronco. good tire but the wear is so/so and wet traction (in the rain on road) was a little scary from what I remember

Good year MTR- These OEM on the jeep rubicons, friend at work speaks highly of them as does many reviews that I have found. Decent wear, good traction in the wet and snow. Need to sipe for ice though and it has a P speed rating.

BFG All terrains - Has pretty much everything you can ask for including the Sever snow rating (snow flake on the tire). Only thing, I don't really like the look, and I have heard/read that although the wear quality is decent, they do not wear evenly, and the traction quality really drops off pretty early on in the wear of the tread. I know that many here speak highly of this tire, but the opinion above is based on findings across multiple websites.

Bridgestone AT Revo's- Most of what I have read is nothing but good. As a matter of fact I think I only found one complaint and it was that they were to noisy. The wet/snow/ice traction is solid. The look on this tire is ok but it doesn't grab you say like the F-C II tires. Also I have found nothing in the way of opinions on its off road ability. The specs read like it would do well but I think deep mud will be it's down fall as with most AT tires.

One last thing- I have read many threads on various boards about tire size fittings/choices. I am primarily looking at keeping the stock size because much of what I have read seems to be contradictory when it comes to 285/75R16s. I don't want to lift my truck until I pull it off lease which most likely will be in a year. So unless someone can tell me that they are running 285s at stock height with no adverse affects, I think I will keep the 265s. Any and all tire suggestions are welcome, and while we are on the topic, if I go to 16x8 rims that do fit the truck can I run 285s with no rub or will the extra inch on the rim do nothing for triming a bit of height to fit it in the wheel well?

·
on line
335 Posts
here we go again....

i ran 285/75R16 on stock height, stock wheels no problem for a while..so have several others....

but...definetely read alittle of this.

The cooper STT has a Q-speed rating for 285/75R16. interesting that their S/T is also N rated...they are the same company that makes DC and MickeyThompson tires. the BFG AT are Q, R, S rated depending....the BFG MT is Q

as for load rating...most of the 'classic sizes' 33x12.5 32x11.5 etc are C load rated....

most of the tires we've been looking at (265/75 285/75) are D or E load rating tires.

it really sounds like you want an aggressive AT, more than a mud-terrain...

mud-terrain and decent snow/wet weather traction are nearly mutually exclusive. just big lugs=big voids=less rubber than normal in contact with flat ground.

like you said, you can get 'em siped....but that'll add to the tendency of a tire to 'chunk'. some come factory siped.

revos are road-biased all-terrains. don't think they're what your looking for.

FC-II are decent tires..but no more aggressive than BFG AT.

MTRs are awesome tires...but i've always heard the opposite..they suck in the wet and light snow. (he said, she said etc...) :argue:

i haven't heard ANYTHING good about the xtreme ATs...mostly the opposite...more money for nothing really. several guys here use the xterrains and like them.

while i've enjoyed my BFG ATs...its very possible that the quality of the tire has gone down, and is still alive because of the 'name'.....i probably will go with a different brand in the future just to get more for my money.

but remember...a shit-ton of people use these tires...so ANY issues with them are more likely to surface on these boards....while less used tires are more likely to have their issues 'slip' by.

·
on line
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did read that thread and I didn't want to start an age old arguement. I guess I have just reached information over load so much of what I have read is getting crossed in my head :cyclopsani:

Anyways thanks for the confirmation and the information on the tires. I guess if I go 285s I will sport for 16x8 wheels. This should help with the wheel balnacing issues than can occurr. Hopefully when I am in the market for new tires, there will be a better selection of wheels that actually fit with out spacers and adapters. I may even end up getting the BFG ATs as I am more about function than I am about form. I just really really like the look of mud tires :clown:

·
on line
1,114 Posts
You really shouldn't anguish so much over the choice of tires. There's a reason why the BFG AT KO's are so popular. Because they are one of the best off road tire available.

They perform better in the snow than MT's
They have longer rated tread life than MT's
They're better on the street than MT's
They're less expensive than the MT's
They're bi-directional
They're widely available
They look great.

Dude, this is too easy a choice.

Unless you like to futz around in mud pits, BFG AT's will take you anyplace an MT will go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts