Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my ongoing addiction to putting green things on my rig, I've come across a few models of LED light bars that come with green lights:

They are touted as being beneficial for work lighting and hunting (apparently the bright green light is more soothing to the critters than white light). If anything I think red/orange lighting would be better in low-light situations, as cooler colors tend to mess with your natural night vision. Ambers are supposed to be the ideal for dusty/obscured viz.

If I had the money to blow on one of these things (or time/motivation to convert a cheaper bar to green SMDs) I'd throw a billion of them on my rig anyway, 'cuz glowy green thing, but I'm just curious to know if any of you guys have experience/knowledge to back up the claims.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Why not just do a green filter on a regular light bar?
Because putting a colored filter strongly reduce light output... filters do not change the color of the light, they remove all the other colors, letting pass only the green (for a green filter) part of the light...

A green LED is formulated to produce a lot of green light... so most of your wattage is converted in green light, instead of creating a lot of white light and keeping only the green.

Of course, it's the same for all the other colors...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would imagine they'd be cheaper. The most expensive light to produce is white light when it comes to LEDs. They only exist because they managed to produce a blue LED and use a phosphor that illuminates yellow to create a bluish white light. Red, green, amber, infrared, etc. have been around for a while, and are a lot easier to produce.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
You could take apart the bar, spray tint the lens green... that might work

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would imagine they'd be cheaper. The most expensive light to produce is white light when it comes to LEDs. They only exist because they managed to produce a blue LED and use a phosphor that illuminates yellow to create a bluish white light. Red, green, amber, infrared, etc. have been around for a while, and are a lot easier to produce.
While you are correct, I doubt the savings would be passed on. White LED prices for everything! Also and taking a look at their website, the Green LED's are actually $20 more than the 20" Light Bar with white LEDs. "Special Edition" haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts